Help Running Gamecube Games

mrkenton

WiiChat Member
May 3, 2007
Oregon
I won a Wii :) and I am not a video gamer, but it looks like a fun device to have and I am sure the Grandkids will enjoy it this summer. However I seem to be having a problem getting the GameCube games to run.:yikes:

The device plays the Wii sports game CD OK, and it also plays some sort of Chicken Game that came with it just fine. But when I try and load a GameCube CD like Madden 07 or any of a couple others that my son has, I get error messages. The CD's seem good and clean, no major scratches or anything. The messages on the screen are something to the effect that "there is not a memory card in the slot." I have a 2 GB SD card in the SD slot, and yes, that card reads OK because I can view the photos from it, no, it is not even close to being nearly full. Does this card have to be formatted in any special way? Or is there something else?

When I put the Madden CD in it starts to load from the CD, displays the error message, then freezes up. The only recovery is to completely power down and restart the device. Is there another Slot that I need to have populated with some sort of a memory card? IF SO, What?

I could not find the error message in the owners manual, and didn't find anything mentioned about needing any extra memory cards...in fact the manuals seem to be a little light on details.

A friend o' mine mentioned he thought early units needed to have a BIOS upgrade. Although I just won this at a Trade Show in April, could this be true?

The grandkids are coming for the summer in a couple of weeks and I need some advice or help.

Can anybody help this old fool?:D :) :worship:

Thanks.

Mr Kenton

It's a common mis-understanding... .. .. .. ..

Look at your wii to the left ( or above, depending on your orientation) of the power light. There you will find a flap that is basically the whole side of the Wii. If you open it it reveals four controller sockets and two memory card sockets. These are for GC controllers and memory cards.. .. .. .. To play GC games on your Wii you will need to spend more cash and purchase a GC memory card and controllers.. .. ..

Thank you.
Do/will any of my son's GC cards or controllers work or will I have to buy new ones specially for the Wii? Sorry to seem dense, but I am at work now and the goodies are at home and I could stop somewhere on the way and buy them if I knew.

Thanks again.

Hey, no problem!

I haven't heard of any memory card issues so they should work fine. There is a bit of debate about controllers though.. .. .. Official Nintendo ones definately work, both wired and wireless. I have not heard of a wired 3rd party controller that does not work with the Wii, however, some people have said that 3rd party wireless GC controllers do not work with the Wii.

Sorry if that was a bit stilted but I wanted it to be as clear as possible!

wow i didnt know you actually need to purchase the official GC card to play the games on the wii! (sucks)

Umm .. No, you don't have to buy the GC card to play Wii games >> ?? You have to buy it to play GC games...

It just seems to be really stupid that you can't just use the SD card to save GC games. :frown2:

It would be convenient yes, but I don't think its practical for them to do in terms of how much effort it would take. All the games are going to be looking for a gamecube card, I don't know if its even possible to fool the games into thinking the SD card was a gamecube card.

I think not... cuz the games are looking in the Gc Card slot.. :frown2: That's stupid :(

Edit:
I want to buy some GC classics but... then i must buy Gc Card , Gc Controller and the game ;)
My money is giong more on Wii games :D

jan22 said:
I think not... cuz the games are looking in the Gc Card slot.. :frown2: That's stupid :(

Edit:
I want to buy some GC classics but... then i must buy Gc Card , Gc Controller and the game ;)
My money is giong more on Wii games :D

I picked up a 2nd hand wired GC controller for £5, memory card for £7.50.. .. .. .. and I got 3 GC games for the total price of £22! That's the cost of one Wii release.. .. .. .. there are some classics out there for very little money

Having the ability to play GC games is more of a novelty for GC owners who have Wiis. (Like Me) If the GC games on Wii used SD cards then the GC Owners would be pissed that they cant use their saves.

Who cares aobut Gamecube owners? They can always go back to playing Gamecube games on...........GAMECUBE!!!! :yikes:

Anyways Its not possible to run GC game Saves off an SD Card. They're incompatible....... The Wii is actually 2 parts The Wii, & a mini GC. Thats about it. They really aren't connected.

Thanks

hanks to all you who helped.

I purchased a new 64 MB "Aftermarket" Game Cube Memory card for the GC Slot for just under $20 on the way home, plugged in a Wireless GC Controller my son had and tried a couple of his CD based Game Cube games. They work just fine. I then downloaded a couple shopping channel low-res games with the Wii points I purchased. I don't know if they need the memory card or not or if it makes any difference, but I left the 64 MB memory card in. I guess my 2 GB SD card that I purchased earlier is not really needed. I was kind of disappointed that the Wii shopping choices were so slim, but under the circumstances (the Wii was free) I guess I can't complain too much.

Back