Help! With Howling Stones!

CyrixInstead said:
I couldn't do it either. It seemed so easy - up, centre, down then repeat. I'm sure I did it ok, but evidently not.

My question is though, I carried on playing after I thought I did it (didn't know you get whisked away and made to repeat it!) and now I'm at the stage where I just beat the giant Goron in the mines. Is there any way I can go back and do the howling stone again???

I think I saved over my progress too, so I'll cry if I can't go back...

~Cyrix

Yes, you can do it again, but not for a while. Well, I'm fairly sure you can.

Last edited:
Just follow the dots when you listen. If you don't get it 100% correct on the first howl, just listen again, and then follow the dots. It's really quite simple.

whatsagoodname said:
I do, but am I like, errrr... following the dots wrong or something?
What is my mistake?
Instead of following the dots, play it closing your eyes and try to get the beat and length of the howls for each. Basically try to copy exactly what you heard from the demo. And for the last note, hold it down till you hear that sound indicating you did it correctly.

Here's how I do the howling stones. Guaranteed to work in three attempts every time.
Ignore the tune being played. Hold the analog joystick up and hold down the A button. After about ten seconds, press B and you will go back to the beginning of the tune, but with all the bits of the tune with high notes marked.
Now hold down A again. But this time push the joystick down, except where it is marked that you should play high notes, where you should push up. Push B again.
You're back at the beginning of the tune and the high and low notes are marked. Hold A again. This time push up on the high notes, down on the low notes, and let go of the joystick on the unmarked bits.

This has worked every time for me. Hopefully other people having trouble with the stones can make it work too.

Thanks! And I hope I can get another chance!! So it's not just where the howl is when it goes over the vertical bars (I think there's a little dot too if I remember correctly), it's about the timing also.

~Cyrix

evilprofessorzog said:
Here's how I do the howling stones. Guaranteed to work in three attempts every time.
Ignore the tune being played. Hold the analog joystick up and hold down the A button. After about ten seconds, press B and you will go back to the beginning of the tune, but with all the bits of the tune with high notes marked.
Now hold down A again. But this time push the joystick down, except where it is marked that you should play high notes, where you should push up. Push B again.
You're back at the beginning of the tune and the high and low notes are marked. Hold A again. This time push up on the high notes, down on the low notes, and let go of the joystick on the unmarked bits.

This has worked every time for me. Hopefully other people having trouble with the stones can make it work too.
That's very impressive (and kind of cheap) but works! :)

Riviet said:
That's very impressive (and kind of cheap) but works! :)

I know it's cheap, but I didn't work it out until my third time through the game, so I don't feel too bad about it.

OMG! It worked:lol: Now how do I take out the four twilight guys up ahead? How do I reach the one behind the wall so I take them all out.

Go round the little "hidden" entrance. You have to go round to the one on its own and lure it into the main area with the other three. I think I actually managed to knock down the one on its own and then go and get the other three at the same time, killing all four.

~Cyrix

CyrixInstead said:
Go round the little "hidden" entrance. You have to go round to the one on its own and lure it into the main area with the other three. I think I actually managed to knock down the one on its own and then go and get the other three at the same time, killing all four.

~Cyrix

Yeah, you can actually kill 2 of the four and they won't regenerate. I personally like to beat these guys as the wolf because Midna gives you that little killing "bubble" around you so you can kill multiple at a time. Sometimes Link's sword swirl doesn't get them both at the same time...for me that is.

Back