Help with keeping neighbors from using my internet connection

bdrains2003

Got Wii?
Dec 7, 2006
PHOENIX,AZ
Wii Online Code
1761-3278-8320-2280
I need some help. My wireless internet connection is being used by my neighbors. According to the log that shows the actvity with my router.
This is the first router I've ever had so I dont know how to protect my computer or my wireless connection. I've tried the mac filter option but then my computer is unable to connect to the internet and only the Wii can.
I must be doing something wrong or something. I only have the option to enter one mac address so I enter in the Wii's address. Does this sound right?
My router is a D-Link DI524. Dont know if that helps.:scared:

you need to enter your router in WEP mode I believe. Its when you need to enter a code to use the wireless. Go to the main page of your router and look for something called WEP and turn it on but make a pass and REMEMBER it. Once you get your wii on. search for an access point then you should see it locked. Just enter that wep code and your set. =)

I looked at the manual for your router. . .although it's kinda dumb, it looks like you can only use 1 MAC address filter.

The other option is to enable WEP. Once enabled, all the devices that access the wireless connection will have to enter a key. I haven't tried using this with my Wii since my router allows me to limit by multiple MAC addresses, so I don't know if WEP works well with the Wii.

WEP does work with wii. I have it set like that. After an hour and a half with *******, finally got it working. WEP works fine but my problem is acording to Nintendo I have something interfering with my wireless internet, such as a 2.4 ghz phone.. My connection comes in and out all the time which sucks but gonna get fixed tomorrow. Use WEP its ez and fast.

Thanks to all the replies I'll give it a try as soon as I can.:thumbsup:

bdrains,I add you.And,if I were you,I would go to your neighbours house with a big metal bar and tell them to go beep them selves.

LoL, its not their fault either. I have some people arounnd here with wireless internet and i keep picking up their singal.. its really annoying because I have my own personal LOCKed one but that little 20% singal loves to pop up every now and then. =)

Holy Hero said:
bdrains,I add you.And,if I were you,I would go to your neighbours house with a big metal bar and tell them to go beep them selves.

Lol. I dont think the apartment manager would appreciate it.
She would probably kick me,my wife, and my kids out of the apartment complex but thanks for the advice anyway though.:thumbsup: BTW isnt it illegal to use someone elses internet connection? Not that you could actually get someone in trouble for it because I'm sure it would be near impossible to do with all the people that probably do it but just curious.

bdrains2003 said:
Lol. I dont think the apartment manager would appreciate it.
She would probably kick me,my wife, and my kids out of the apartment complex but thanks for the advice anyway though.:thumbsup: BTW isnt it illegal to use someone elses internet connection? Not that you could actually get someone in trouble for it because I'm sure it would be near impossible to do with all the people that probably do it but just curious.

They way people see it here in the interwebs is that if someone is actually stupid to not password their internet, then it is their fault and the internet can use it as much as needed. Now that you know that make sure to password protect it.
Don't know if you got it to work yet, but if there are any problems you just let me know.

When I go to enable it it asks for a 10 digit key and ten digits only which kind of sucks. I guess this will be my password? Also it gives the option of 64bit
and 128bit which is better? Oh yeah one more thing is the key type can either be HEX or ASCII any clue on what that means. Sorry for all the questions but the disk that came with the router really doesnt explain what all these things mean very well.:mad2:

A 10 digit key would not supply you with maximum security but it would be perfectly fine for your situation.

Darkonix said:
WEP does work with wii. I have it set like that. After an hour and a half with *******, finally got it working. WEP works fine but my problem is acording to Nintendo I have something interfering with my wireless internet, such as a 2.4 ghz phone.. My connection comes in and out all the time which sucks but gonna get fixed tomorrow. Use WEP its ez and fast.
actually man, it might be your phone, but ive noticed A LOT of wireless routers that cut out on signal. mine does it sometimes. and it will also cut out signal from stuff hooked straight into it. ive found that every so often when it does it just unplug the router and the modem for about 3-5 minutes to refresh its the ram. then it usually settles down. however sometimes it doesnt. also make sure to have the latest firmware updates for your router as that can also help with issues of the signal cutting out. however, if you choose to install the updates make it noted that ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS WILL BE ERASED. youll have to set it back up. hope that helps.

bdrains2003 said:
When I go to enable it it asks for a 10 digit key and ten digits only which kind of sucks. I guess this will be my password? Also it gives the option of 64bit
and 128bit which is better? Oh yeah one more thing is the key type can either be HEX or ASCII any clue on what that means. Sorry for all the questions but the disk that came with the router really doesnt explain what all these things mean very well.:mad2:

If you choose 128bit encryption it's better, but overkill really in your situation. If I recall correctly, 128bit encryption requires a 26 digit key, and 64 bit encryption needs a 10 digit one.

Your encryption key is usually in Hex which stands for Hexadecimal. Hex is a form of number notation like Binary (base 2 - "0 & 1"), Decimal (base 10 - "0 to 9") and Octal (base 8 - "0 to 7") etc...
Hex is base 16, which means you count like this...

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,16,17,18,19 etc....

Notice how 16 in Hex = 17 in Decimal ?! It's strange and I won't explain or expect you to understand why it even exists, but it dates back to the way computers and programs handle bits and bytes of information, anyhow....

Your WEP encryption key will probably be in Hex, so that means it can contain any numbers between 0 - 9, and any letters between A - F.

By the way, ASCII just means "characters" - it stands for American Standard for Control of Information Interchange, and dates back to the 70's. Basically it means any character you are able to type using a standard keyboard, such as ...

Hello!"££$"%£^$&%*@::)

That's ASCII :)

dedpoet777 said:
actually man, it might be your phone, but ive noticed A LOT of wireless routers that cut out on signal. mine does it sometimes. and it will also cut out signal from stuff hooked straight into it. ive found that every so often when it does it just unplug the router and the modem for about 3-5 minutes to refresh its the ram. then it usually settles down. however sometimes it doesnt. also make sure to have the latest firmware updates for your router as that can also help with issues of the signal cutting out. however, if you choose to install the updates make it noted that ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS WILL BE ERASED. youll have to set it back up. hope that helps.
I used to have this probelm with my old routers (a dlink one that I don't remember the model number to and a linksys WRT54G). Then I switched to a Dlink DGL-4300 wireless router and a DLink DCM-202 cable modem and it's been perfect. Best router + cable modem combination i've used. I've only reset it once in the last 9 months and even then I shouldn't have as the problem ended up being at Time Warner Cable.

Last edited:
Back