HELP with Routers!

whatsagoodname

WiiChat Member
Jan 2, 2007
Canada
Before I decide to get a router, how do I attach the router to my my computer network? I hope it is not through the modem as mine has no open ports to connect anything. If it is through that method what would a good alternative be then?

Thanks!

Your router should come with a CD that walks you through everything. You won't need any extra ports for a router to connect your computer to the internet.

Sillyhat is correct. you will unplug your computer from your modem, and place the router inline. in other words, computer plugs into router, router plugs into modem... no extra ports needed

Ok, I needed a router for my Wii. So good I should be able to still attach the router to the modem my removing the computer's ethernet link. Also, the type of router to get are the 802.11 b/g's right?

This is what I have... works like a charm:
Linksys WRT54G

to answer your question, yes, you need an 802.11 b/g

be advised, when you first plug in your router, it should be working out of the box. However, your network will be left wide open for anyone within signal to use... Here is a good tutorial to help get you up and going relatively securely.

for the record, i am in no way affiliated with either site.

u need to buy the stuff and if u want it wireless u neen to put it in the back of ur cpu and install the disc and wait till it updates everything,takes awhile lol :)

Okay good. I was worried that it was already doing NAT and you would have to put it into bridged mode.

If you open a command prompt and type Ipconfig what address do you see?

An IP address, Subnet Mask and a Default Gateway... And a Connection Specific DNS Suffix as well...
Is that good?

Well yes thats good but i meant POST the actual number listed as the IP address that you have. If you are worried about security just post the first three octets.

Dude you don't need to post your IP nor should you. All you need to do is go to your local computer store explain to the salesman what you are using it for and the distance between where your wireless router will be and your Wii. This will determine what model you will need to have it work at it's full potential. Once you have it home unplug the ethernet cable that goes from your modem to your PC from the PC's LAN port into your new router's "In" port. Then plug an ethernet cable, one will come with your new router, into one of the open ports of the router and then into the LAN port of your PC. Once that is done you can configure your router. Be sure to reboot all of your devices, ie... router, PC, and modem before configuring. If you're unsure of what to do your router will come with a disk that will also explain what to do. Once you have it all set up be sure to upgrade the firmware of the router if it needs it.

Bestia you are misguided.
You think the guy at a computer store knows what he is talking about considering he couldn't get a job as an IT guy? You probably also think cell phone salesmen can repair phones.
Do you understand what NAT is and why its bad to do a double NAT?
Can you figure out why I said to post the first three octets or even what an octet is?
The power output of all wireless devices is restricted by the FCC and the Wii only supports 802.11g at best. What difference would it make to tell the salesperson that you use a Wii and the distance.

whatsagoodname: That guy only has one post so you can safely ignore him.

Last edited:
I know I need an b/g only compatible router, max range 5-10 Metres at the most... I have no problem leaving only the router plugged it the modem...I can swap it with the computer at anypoint instead.

What is an octet anyway?

Octet is a group of 8 bits. In numbers it would be anything from 0 to 255. For an IP address each octet or section is divided by a period.

So I'm asking you to tell me your IP address and if you are worried about security then just tell me the first two or three "sections" of the address instead of the entire thing.

Back