HELP with Routers!

Thanks Ciper, in fact I'm a systems analyst and if you'd like to get into technical terms please by all means do so. whatsagoodname does not need to know anything about network address translation or octets or any other term you'd like to throw out there. Anyways whatsagoodname I see you live in Vancouver go down to your local Futureshop pick up the dlink WBR-2310 I bought it yesterday there for 89 bucks it works great. Ciper I'm not trying to be a dick but there is no point in confusing anyone with such a simple matter.

If you are a systems guy then you are forgetting something important. Most single port cable/DSL modems are still performing "router" functions. Simply connecting a router to the port like you suggested will result in double NAT which is an unsupported configuration for the Wii and every online PC game as well.

Most likely he will have to change his modem to bridged mode and handle the PPPoE on the router.

I asked him for his IP address because it was he easiest way to see if he was using one in the private address space of either 10.x.x.x , 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

If not we would then try to figure out which PPPoE software he was using and if it was configured to "autodial" when his browser is launched.

Last we would have him find his password since he most likely does not type it everytime and may have forgotten.

All of this has to happen before the router is even touched. I get the impression you have little experience with home users. Tell me where any of what I posted is wrong.

Last edited:
Holy, all I'm saying is he dosen't even have the router yet I live in the same geographical area we only have a couple cable/dsl service providers. I'm not saying you're wrong nor am I trying to offend you. Yes if in fact his modem is acting as a router he will need to change his modem to act as a bridge only but why not do the simple things first and cross that "bridge" when he comes to it.

Cheers

Sorry don't know where I saw that. Apparently i'm seeing things anyhow, all I'm saying is this first things first go get a router the dlink one I got works awesome the only thing I had to do to it was upgrade the firmware which is a very simple thing to do as well. By all means go ahead and check all the things ciper is telling you to do it is all good info I just think it's a little premature given you don't even have a router yet which also means you don't have a problem yet.

It is 66

Remember i'm looking for a cheap router cause I'm not going to be putting it through much...

Wow. Well I worried mostly over nothing then. Im surprised your machine is exposed directly to the internet!

Do you know if its PPPoE? Does a program launch when you want to connect?

Goto control panel and then network connections. Open the View menu and choose "details" then list all the different items shown under the TYPE column (if the name is long just put the first two words)

Last edited:
So nothing that says Miniport?

When you do an ipconfig in the command window does it only show one adapter?

If you run "ipconfig /all" do you see a line that says "Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes" ?

Back