Hey guys im new here and I need some help.

mariokong

WiiChat Member
Jan 13, 2008
I want to get a wii but everyone is sold out are there any tips of what I should do to get a system? Also I would like to know what I should get with the system and what are the best games?

I would do ebay but it makes me scared and I dont want to overpay for a wii thats the problem I dont mind paying a little extra but I dont want to be taken for a ride either. Also what would I do warranty wise would it be void because some require like 10 days to send it in after purchase.

Call your local Gamestop.. find out when they get shipments. I know here, it's Tuesday and Thursday, 11:00. I've been told to go to the store at 10:30, tell them you are there for a Wii. You will be placed in line... 1st, 2nd.... etc. May take a couple trips before you get one, but that's how a co-worker got his.

Other retail stores you just have to guess, and keep checking. They usually never know when they get them. Other than that, online is the only other way. nowinstock.net, or other trackers are very helpful.

Ebay, you are going to overpay. Period. No less than $350.00 (which is $100 above retail) Hold out!! You CAN get one the old fashion way. I promise!

Well when I got mine it was for $380, but it came with Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, a classic controller, and of course wii sports. I guess I was lucky because I got mine from a reliable source and it is in perfect condition though it took me a while to find it.

1. Sign up for Amazon updates. As soon as Wiis become available there, they will shoot you an email.

2. Call around your local stores 2-3 times a week and ask when shipments are coming in. After you hear when they are coming in, make sure to be at your store 1-2 hours before launch.

3. If you don't have a Wii using these 2 methods in the first 2 months of trying them at least give ebay a shot.

Yeah I called my local gamestop but they said they were not getting anymore until febuary. But the problem is I think they are lying because they have said that about other things and then they show up there. Yeah I called everywhere today and no one has them im so bummed.

When we got ours, we paid nearly $475 (!!!) but we got a Gamestop bundle that included Wii Play (w/ extra remote), extra nunchuck, Super Paper Mario, and Mario Party 8. Plus of course the remote, nunchuck, and Wii Sports game that come with the Wii. Basically if you add them all up and put on tax and shipping, we paid exactly what we would have paid if we'd bought each piece separately. But, it was the only way to pre-order a Wii at all, as far as we could tell. We just went to Gamestop.com and looked up Wii, and several different bundles were available for pre-order.

It was worth every penny!!!! I'm so happy with it. I love the Wii.

The extra remote & nunchuck are a must, sometimes I wish we could even get 2 more of each for parties but they are sold out everywhere since Christmas! Mario Party 8 wasn't much fun for me, I sold it on Ebay already. Super Paper Mario is SUPER fun and highly recommended! Super Mario Galaxy is a MUST! Really fun right outta the box, no complicated controls or anything wonky to distract you from having a blast. Metroid Prime 3 is also like that, very intuitive controls - difficult but wicked fun game in all ways.

There are many other really fun games out there for the Wii, but in my opinion those 3 really use the unique Wii controls to the best advantage. Since the Wii controls are very unique and some game companies don't seem to have a grip on how to use them best, I'd recommend investing in some rentals before buying. We got a Gamefly membership and love it. It has saved me some cash that I would have spent on crappy games that only sounded fun. I don't live near anyplace that rents games, so Blockbuster or something might work fine for you. Living out in the country makes Netflix and Gamefly a necessity!

OH!! I almost forgot! If you have an extra $20 burning a hole in your pocket, pick up a Wii Zapper! Sets up your remote and nunchuck like a machine gun for first-person-shooter games, and comes with an addictive little shooter minigame collection called Link's Crossbow Training. Don't miss out!!

Good luck finding and getting your Wii! It still takes work and patience just to find one, but boy is it worth it. There's nothing quite like a Wii.

mariokong said:
Yeah I called my local gamestop but they said they were not getting anymore until febuary. But the problem is I think they are lying because they have said that about other things and then they show up there. Yeah I called everywhere today and no one has them im so bummed.

That is probably true. I had forgotten that Gamestop issued rainchecks to guarantee a Wii by the end of January. So all shipments that come in, go to them first, I'm sure. Hang in there for a couple more weeks.

Back