Hi!! I am writing about the Wii! Can you help? :)

daniela

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I am Daniela and I am currently playing and writing an essay on the Wii sport as part of my MA in Media,Culture and Communication.

I was wondering if anyone is up for note down some of their experiences of playing with Wii Sport (or actually with any games). In particular I am looking at the interactions between player-player, player-controller, and mostly, at the interactions between players and controller in space (basically the room).
Here some question ...
Did you have change the layout of your room before playing? Have you broken something while playing, did you hurt yourself? the player playing with you? Are you aware of the movements you need to make in order to play? or you are just randomly moving the controller? (as I sometime do)?
What do you think about Nintendo wii? what does it make it revolutionary ? (if you think so) : is it the quality of games(narrative,graphics..)or is it the 'kind of new way of play (interaction between player-player, player-controller (movement) or spacial interaction?)
Thank you and hope to begin some interesting chats about this!!
Please feel free to suggest other issues that you find interesting about the wii :)

Have a great Sunday !!! I am going to be writing and playing all day :)

Ciao

Dani

1. Did you have change the layout of your room before playing?
Answer: Yes, i had to push my bed further back so id have enough space to move around.

2. Have you broken something while playing, did you hurt yourself?
Answer: Yes, i strained my shoulder playing wii tennis. And screwed my elbow also from wii tennis.

3. Are you aware of the movements you need to make in order to play?

Answer: Yes i am well aware of the movements, they are all explained throughly and are very understandable.

4. Are you just randomly moving the controller?
Answer: No. That defies the point of actually playing and takes away the fun from the game.

5. What do you think about Nintendo wii?
Answer: Its Awesome!!!

6. What makes the Wii Revolutionary?
Answer: The new controlls based on movement, rather then pressing buttons. for obvious reasons

I shall answer some.

Originally when I started playing Wii Tennis I pushed back the coffee table. Now when I play Wii Tennis I don't move the table anymore - I only ever moved it originally because I thought I had to literally run across the room to make the shots. For any other game, no I don't change the layout. Unless someone's moved the table back for something else, but that's more restoring the layout (I like to sit on the table).

I haven't broken anything. I did strain my arm once. It is questionable if it was the Wii or the other things I was doing.

Originally no. I knew, but I didn't. In Zelda whenever I got attacked I would rather helplessly flail the remote around. It wasn't until later I realised I didn't have to do the movements so...strongly. That a smaller flick of the remote would amount to exactly the same as a large swipe. Now I don't flail so badly, but there are times when I haven't played a game for a while, or when I start losing when I resort to helpless flailing in the hope that it somehow does something.

Are you just randomly moving the controller?

I explained this above.

What do you think about Nintendo wii?

Eh. I have nothing interesting to contribute here. I like it. I like the controls and I like the random flailing around. Although, at the same time I strongly dislike the controls when I can't use them (like in Mortal Kombat).

See the above answer. Same thing really.

Did you have to change the layout of your loungeroom before playing? Yes, but only to move a coffee table to make for more space directly in front of the TV.

Have you broken something while playing, did you hurt yourself? If you keep the Wii straps on and read the 'before game messages' there is no reason to get hurt or hurt other people whilst playing Wii. I havent hurt myself or broken anything (personal or an object), however I have thrown a controller fairly hard at a wall by accident, but I had my free Wiimote rubber cover on and nothing was damamged. If people take the normal care while playing, there is no reason to get hurt by the Wii, it takes common sense, and a little personal space.

Are you aware of the movements you need to make in order to play? or you are just randomly moving the controller? I am one to read manuals and go through tutorials, so i usually know what to do in a game, if you show people through the motions of a game or make them do a basic in-game tutorial, then they should soon know the movements neeed to play, and make the gaming experience all the better. Its similar to teaching someone the buttons needed to be pushed to play a game on any other console. (A is to pickup weapons, B is to run, L is to shoot.... etc etc). Plus its easier to remember with Wii, as most of the motions mimic a real life action (punches, golf swings etc).

What do you think about the Nintendo Wii? It is a great, very accessible console, that has helped bridge a gap between non-gamers and gamers, something no other company has ever achieved. It has allowed people who have never played a videogame in their life, to enjoy this activity, and also allows gamers to try out a new experience never done before, and one that may also help keep you fit (along with normal exercise) whilst doing an unhealthy activity they already enjoyed.

What makes it revolutionary? Obviously this enw controller system, and the motion based and IR based controls all the games take advantage of, again its something that has never been done, and creates a whole new world if interaction for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Is it the quality of games or is it the "kind of new way to play" that made you buy Wii? Mainly the kind of new way to play style Nintendo was aiming for, I am still waiting for some real quality games to arrive, but I'm sure when they do that they'll take great advantage of this 'new way to play' style that will help make them that bit better, and more interactive. Also by buying games on Wii it gives you a level of interaction unavailable from other consoles, that helped make the choice to buy a Wii that much easier.

Hope that helps!

Beneeboi! Post in the Wii in Australia thread, its good for you.

Did you have to change the layout of your loungeroom before playing?
Well no, I have my Wii in my bedroom and I have plenty of room to play games of all kinds.

Have you broken something while playing, did you hurt yourself?
No, I have never experienced a Wii accident. I don't over swing like some, nor do the people that play my Wii. Everyone is very careful, and if they haven't played my Wii yet, I have them use the wrist strap, just to see how they are. I myself don't wear the wrist strap but I am extra careful.

Are you aware of the movements you need to make in order to play? or you are just randomly moving the controller?
I am aware of the movements I need to make, like I said I don't over swing. Nor do I swing randomly, usually on the screen it will show you the actions you need to follow so its not hard to copy the movements at all.

What do you think about the Nintendo Wii?
I think its a great overall system. Its great for non-gamers because of its easy pick up and play approach. Its also the system which houses my favorite Nintendo characters and games, like Zelda and Metroid Prime.

What makes it revolutionary?
Controllers make it really revolutionary, as well as the ability for people who don't play games to be able to play Wii.

Is it the quality of games or is it the "kind of new way to play" that made you buy Wii?
Well like I said, Wii has all my favorite characters and games, and Wii has some great new ones out and coming that I am excited for. I was also drawn to the controllers though at the beginning and "the new way to play".

Good luck with the essay.

Thank you! and another thought :)

Thank you so much for the reply ! I was wondering if you all agree for me to quote part of your replies with reference to this chat and to your username.

Let me know :) and if you have more thoughts ... they are all very welcomed !!

I have just started to play with the Wii : I have tried Spyrox (it was included in the package.. by the way: I got the last console just after Christmas :) Quite lucky :) !! And now playing Resident Evil. To be hones, the one I enjoy the most are the Wii sport. Especially tennis and box. I have never been a super fun of computer games..never managed to be totally 'immerse' within their virtual environments...

I also think that this new console has the potential to attract non - gamers as myself in a 'new play' (quite funny) due to a 'shift' , as far as I am concerned, the focus of the play from the AVATAR in the virtual environment, to the player in its surrounding environment.
Let's see if this is a valid point
What do you think about this?

Dani

Answer: No, we keep the Wii in the studio which is big enough to allow movemnt for the Wii but also small enough to sit on the sofa and play without having the TV too far away. The xBox 360 is in my room, and no, I did not have to move anything around there.

Answer: I've never broken or hurt myself playing the Wii. As long as you were the wrist strap and don't strain yourself, you're fine.

Answer: Yes, there are no questions left unexplained when it comes to what you need to do with the controller(s).

Answer: In WiiSports boxing, yes. :lol: But when it comes to other games, it requires more skill than just shaking the Wii Remote. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm actually using the Wii Remote in the correct way.

Answer: A great console from Nintendo, especially since they took a new route into the world of gaming.

Answer: New controller and definitely the fact that almost anyone can pick it up and play since it is such an easy concept to grasp (using the Wii Remote). I've even heard that people are buying them for retirement homes

Hope that helped your essay.

I'm fine with you quoting my username, and what I said in these forums for your 'study'.

I'd recommmend you buy The Godfather, to really see what can be done with the Wii Remote and its different functions.

I just realised you were mainly looking at WiiSports based information, look around the net, there are plenty of articles outlining the benefits of this game, to older and younger people, especially elderly people in nursing homes, who are too frail to jump into a boxing match, or play golf, or bowliing, but are still able to do light exercise through WiiSport.
Me and a few mates played Wii boxing for about 2hrs straight, to see if itd give you any sort of a workout, it suprisingly does seem to work your upper body, shoulders and biceps, it wont give you the same 'feedback' if you were hitting a punching bag, but as far as a videogame goes it does a good job at a workout, and its certainly more entertaining than punching a bag.

daniela said:
I also think that this new console has the potential to attract non - gamers as myself in a 'new play' (quite funny) due to a 'shift' , as far as I am concerned, the focus of the play from the AVATAR in the virtual environment, to the player in its surrounding environment.
Let's see if this is a valid point
What do you think about this?

Dani
That kinda makes sense, like instead of controlling the player onscreen, you ARE the player on screen. I'd say this is most evident and immersive in games like Metroid Prime 3, and Medal of Honor Heroes, as well as any other first person game. Overall though, I'd say thats what the wii does best, immerses you in the gameplay

you might want to look into wiiitis (wii-itis). its some muscle soreness thing or something like that

Answer: No, I did have to move my wii to other rooms however

Answer: I woke up sore the day after I got my wii

Answer: Totally do

Answer: Nope

Answer: dude, it's tubular!!!!!

Answer: because befor, the technology was only used for some games, now it's used for a whole console

beneeboi said:
Answer: Yes, i had to push my bed further back so id have enough space to move around.

Answer: Yes, i strained my shoulder playing wii tennis. And screwed my elbow also from wii tennis.

Answer: Yes i am well aware of the movements, they are all explained throughly and are very understandable.

Answer: No. That defies the point of actually playing and takes away the fun from the game.

Answer: Its Awesome!!!

Answer: The new controlls based on movement, rather then pressing buttons. for obvious reasons

You know you do not have to actually swing hard for the wii to know that you want the mii to hit the ball -.-

daniela said:
Hi Everyone,
I am Daniela and I am currently playing and writing an essay on the Wii sport as part of my MA in Media,Culture and Communication.
Cool. . .
daniela said:
Did you have change the layout of your room before playing?
daniela said:
No, because i change the lay out every few monthes.
daniela said:
Have you broken something while playing
No, i have made some scratches on my wiimote from dropping it because im a little careless.
daniela said:
did you hurt yourself? the player playing with you?
No not really.
daniela said:
Are you aware of the movements you need to make in order to play? or you are just randomly moving the controller? (as I sometime do)?
Yeah i sometimes randomly move the controller because it takes things a little more fun with guests.
daniela said:
What do you think about Nintendo wii? what does it make it revolutionary ? (if you think so): is it the quality of games(narrative,graphics..)or is it the 'kind of new way of play (interaction between player-player, player-controller (movement) or spacial interaction?)
I think the nintendo wii is extremely fun, i think the revolutionary thing is that it went backwards and is winning.(Search Power Glove)
daniela said:
Thank you and hope to begin some interesting chats about this!!
Please feel free to suggest other issues that you find interesting about the wii :)
Have a great Sunday !!! I am going to be writing and playing all day :)
Ciao
Dani
Your welcome. (Spoilers because it is long)

Last edited:
Answer: No, it's not even in my room.

Answer: Not really.

Answer: Yes, I adapt to video games extremely quickly.

Answer: No.

Answer: It's the best game system out there, although it could use some more memory and enhanced graphics. But you must always remember; Gameplay over graphics!

Answer: There is no other console that is as virtual as the Wii.

Good luck with your essay. :wink:

Back