Hmm, curious

Nick111

WiiChat Member
Jan 1, 2007
Wii Online Code
8249-1363-6620-2544
Does anyone know why the wii gets hotter on standby than actually being on?
While it is on.. it makes more heat, but the fans release that heat.
When it is on standby, it shouldn't make any heat.. but the fans aren't on.
So these should both cancel each other out, but they don't :D

Standby does not equal Off. The components are still on but they use lower voltage to do smaller tasks. You can't even really call them tasks. But things like when your wii is in standby, it can still send and receive information thru the internet. That work produces heat.

but more heat than it actually being on? yes i know about the fans... but damn.. this thing is like a little heater too :)
i can't imagine ps3
that thing must need like a damn jet engine to cool it off

Rocket... all a chill station does is make it more sturdy so it doesn't fall over.
Well that is what i have read of it

the chill station has a series of fans as will not sure the amount but they provide additional cooling and i think they are also on while in stand by but dont quote me...

But how would it cool the wii... the fans would be blowing on/off the case? or do you take a part off and set it in there

I've also noticed that the wii gets hotter in standby mode then when it's on. Like, a lot hotter. So much so that I basically leave it on at the main menu all the time or I turn it off completely.

About the chill station, is it externally powered or does it leech off the wii system power? If it uses the wii power then I would avoid it. I suspect it would be pretty simple to make one with a couple of 40mm computer fans at home, so I might try doing that.

noooo the USB ports still have some pwoer in standby and the fans run during standby to keep it cool. there are fans in the base next to the intake vent to force cool air through the insides.

EDIT: and if youre worried about it takin up USB slot space it gives you an extra USB slot ont he stand so dont worry

chill station is said not to help very much, waste of $ imo. The wii wont melt - its nintendo afterall.

AMEN to PtonJalken for saying it "The wii wont melt- its nintendo afterall." nintendo does not make things that break. I left a gameboy out in the rain for a whole day and it still worked a week later after it dried

Back