HOLY CRAP! Super Mario TERRIBLE controls!

johnboy8281 said:
I understand, but I bought 2 wavebirds today, and I'm not going to buy a classic controller. How could they be so stupid?

Ya, i got two wavebirds. . .and am an advid Wavebird fan and highly reccomend the for VC games; at least until I downloaded Super Mario World today and tried playing it. The controller style is too different, so I was forced to switch to my classic controller and it plays just fine. Fortunatly I didn't have to pay for my Classic Controller since it was a christmas present!

Ouch. I guess I won't be buying this one. Too bad, I liked SMW, but not enough to buy extra controllers haha. I like my wavebirds and will stick to those :).

Nope, I was warning everyone not to buy this game. You were being a dousche.

csiguy4u said:
Ya, i got two wavebirds. . .and am an advid Wavebird fan and highly reccomend the for VC games; at least until I downloaded Super Mario World today and tried playing it. The controller style is too different, so I was forced to switch to my classic controller and it plays just fine. Fortunatly I didn't have to pay for my Classic Controller since it was a christmas present!

how dare you spend tons of money on what nintendo recomended? Now you are going to receive a lashing from the fan boys. What are you thinking? complaining about the fact that the $500 + you have spent is not enough.

Everyone is going to tell you the following:

it is not nintendo's responsabilty to do anything it advertises, you are stupid for not investigating one of the most simple games on earth (1991) and assuming it was playable. Why dont you get off your lazy ass, buy a Classic controller, and program some lines of code so that X=A, A=B, amd B=Y? And get another job, ASSFACE!!!!!

Did you guys know that the LAST generation had online play?

AND JUST SO EVERYONE SHUTS UP: I got ANOTHER classic controller at Target today. All you people yelling at me, I have spent a sick amount of money on your false idle.

Last edited:
I agree. It is downright ridiculous that there is no online gaming yet. That would make the Wii 100x better.

Nunchucks don't work on the virtual console, or at least I don't think so. I have a classic controller, and it works fine for all of the games for me. I have Super Mario World, and I even tried the Gamecube controller. It's not that bad, but not good either.

co mon guys think about it, put youreself in nintendos place....

you have been workin on several inventions for the past few years and just recently finished, and now you are short on money due to the cost of design supplys, so you come out with a few other inventions to raise some extra money, and you have to create a little "scam" to raise some good money beacuse all of your buyers are looking for the cheaper way out and will not support your company :\

i suck at writing but, in a nutshell i just said nintendo just wants money, they could really care less how our playing experince is....

Scuba Steve said:
So if I want 4 players on any type of game, I need to buy...

3 additional remotes @ $40 ($120)
4 nunchucks @ $20 ($80)
4 classic controllers @ $20 ($80)
4 wired GC controllers @ $20 or wavebirds @ $30 ($80 to $120)

...for a total of $360 to $400 on controllers.

Gotta hand it to big N for mastering the art of Nickle and Diming.

So, in a comparative context, I could get 3 additional PS3 or 360 wireless controllers @ $50 ($150). Add the controller and console costs up and you get a total of $650 for the Wii vs. $750 for PS3 and $550 for the 360. So much for the price point argument.

Thats a little overboard.

Obviously, to play 4 player Wii games, you're going to need ATLEAST 4 Wiimotes, and 9 times out of 10, 4 chuks, to play 4 player GC games, you're going to need 4 GC controllers. (bundles can be bought online for very cheap, but for those who dont have the means of buying online, $80-$120 is fair), but for the classic controller, the most you'll need is two. They're out there, I can't think of a single one off the top of my head, but what are the odds you're going to want to play a game on NES, SNES, Sega, or Turbografx that supports more than 2 players?

I will admit for Turbografx games, I know next to nothing about, so perhaps they do support more than 2 players, but as for the rest, most are going to be 1-2 players.

ics said:
I agree this is unacceptable. So now if I want to play all types of games with 4 friends I could possibly need.

4 wii controllers
4 nunchucks
4 GC controllers
4 VC controllers

if you want the luxuries, you gotta pay.

Classic controller was designed so the buttons mapped well with most old games, the gc controller was made for.. gc games. Common sense, get use to it and buy 1.

They didnt have to include gc controllers in the vc at all so be grateful, they could of REQUIRED classic controllers for all games -.-

Last edited:
a) spin jump
b) normal jump
y) Fireball/cape/sprint
x) pick up (maybe y and x are vice-versa. i cant remember)
z) Bring item down from bubble
L/R) shift camera

I'd rather b and a switch. Also it took me forever to find out that z was select. It doesnt say the controls for gc in the instruction menu.

elmo_999 said:
a) spin jump
b) normal jump
y) Fireball/cape/sprint
x) pick up (maybe y and x are vice-versa. i cant remember)
z) Bring item down from bubble
L/R) shift camera

I'd rather b and a switch. Also it took me forever to find out that z was select. It doesnt say the controls for gc in the instruction menu.

id rather the jumps switched for easier access to Y, other then that big deal?

ps: thx for posting controls :)

Back