Homebrew for Wii is a go!!

So can i run a PSX emulator with final fantasy 7 ISO? Or do I have to wait till they start getting their programs running...

Yes, I finally have a reason for owning this console! I guess I'd better try it out.

pYRo said:
I don't even know what homebrew is. What does it do? Is it worth it?

Software written by the consumers.

Edit: Dammit! I forgot that I don't have a SD card reader since I sold my PC. Now I'll have to download a PowerPC Linux distro and install it on my PS3 to do this.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Code:
Found boot.elf!
done, filesize is 0
[B]## No elf image at address 90100000[/B]
DOL image detected?
loading binary file..

Those are the last few lines that it outputs. Then it does nothing. :/

Edit: Ah, never mind, I made a stupid mistake. Now I just wish I had a GC controller so I could test it out...

Last edited:
Evi1d33d said:
I posted the Twilight exploit when it came out but no one cared since they did't get the concept.

This basically does what the GC homebrew did but with all the bells and whistles of the wii. And yes you will be able to emulators like NES, SNES, GBA or even Neogeo. So big N's plan and ripping people off by rereleasing old games got destroy by their most popular launch title.

So if I wanted I could upload the ROM for Super Mario Kart onto my SD card and play it on my Wii?

Also, do you have to have LOZ:TP running in order to use it?

Last edited:
Link_of_Hyrule said:
maybe homebrew will make sdhc cards work in the wii's sd card slot some devices have the capability with a small firmware or software upgrade :p

Anyways thanks for posting this is major news and no one is posting anything about it what gives people?

There is a physical incompatibability with SDHC. We're stuck...

Why bother with this hack. I'd rather just use flash. That way it is not exploiting and computers can play it.

Can someone elaborate on why SDHC is needed, and what the limitations are without it? This seems like the start of something huge. Thanks for keeping us updated. Would love to see SNES roms.

I'm curious if it would be possible to use a wiimote/classic controller with the homebrew or if it is limited to the GC controller?

Skorp said:
Can someone elaborate on why SDHC is needed, and what the limitations are without it?
SDHC means you can use 2GB and higher memory cards.

SD effectively maxes out at 2GB (except for some quirky hacks that weren't supported very well by card readers).

Of course, with the current limited way that the Wii utilizes the SD card, I'm not sure even 2GB is of much use. Now, if they ever made the SD memory seamless with the main memory... ooo la la....

sremick said:
SDHC means you can use 2GB and higher memory cards.

SD effectively maxes out at 2GB (except for some quirky hacks that weren't supported very well by card readers).

Of course, with the current limited way that the Wii utilizes the SD card, I'm not sure even 2GB is of much use. Now, if they ever made the SD memory seamless with the main memory... ooo la la....

You can't hack a SD card to make it bigger. It is physically impossible. You can COMPRESS the data so more data fits on it though.

For anyone thats unfamiliar with compressing files, pretend you have a sponge. Squeeze the sponge. Now its smaller. Since its smaller you can fit more sponge in the same amount of space.

Bigred said:
You can't hack a SD card to make it bigger. It is physically impossible. You can COMPRESS the data so more data fits on it though.
You should know that I, of all people, would be aware of this. ;)

But since you brought it up, this is what I was referring to:

Wikipedia said:
Compatibility issues with 2 GB and larger cards

Compatibility with 2 gigabyte and larger SD cards has been poor, due to the SD/MMC protocol's using a 32-bit address field denominated in bytes. The SDHC standard addresses this limitation by using 32-bit block addresses instead. Both SD and SDHC are traditionally accessed as 512-byte blocks on 512-byte boundaries, so the change to host software or firmware is minor but required. Before SDHC was standardized, various manufacturers "extended" the SD control block fields for their 2 GB and 4 GB cards in different ways. Those cards are incompatible with many SD and some SDHC devices, as they conform to neither standard. All SDHC readers work with standard SD cards.[9]

Many older devices will not accept the 2 GB size even though it is in the revised standard. The following statement is from the SD association specification:

"To make 2 GByte card, the Maximum Block Length (READ_BL_LEN=WRITE_BL_LEN) shall be set to 1024 bytes. However, the Block Length, set by CMD16, shall be up to 512 bytes to keep consistency with 512 bytes Maximum Block Length cards (Less than and equal 2 Gbyte cards)."[10]

Since all cards up to and including the 1 GB card use a fixed 512 block size, some device drivers do not handle the larger block size and will not even recognize the 2 GB card. For example, the SanDisk web site shows examples of devices such as the iPAQ 1910 that will support only 1 GB cards and the Epson Photo RX300 Technical support says they support only 1 GB cards in the SD slot. Users of many early card readers have found that they also support only cards up to 1 GB.

However, I figured "quirky hacks" was sufficient for the average Wiichat reader.

Back