Hooked, my review

JohnnyRed

WiiChat Member
Mar 8, 2007
Long Island, NY
Ok seems fun, seems like it will keep my interest for a while.

I have to admit I really wanted it because it seems like the only "ONLINE" game me and my buddies can get into so far (we are all over 30 years old). I have just spent 45 minutes trying to get it to work online with my buddy and we get as far as connecting and then squat.

If you are buying this game for its online capabilities, well save your cash.

If your buying this game for the wonderful state of the art piece of $1.30 plastic they call a fishing rod accessory well again save your duckets kiddies.

If your buying this game because, like me, you love to sit back and shoot down a six pack while fishing, again look elsewhere because you have no time to grab your beer because its more exciting then real fishing.

All in all pretty fun, pretty hard as well. I have more lines snap tonight then I have ever had really fishing in the 35 years I have been on this earth. So it is difficult. I think younger kids are going to find this obscenely boring and guys my age will get a kick out of it.

Cool. I might check it out, but basically cause I'm a sucker for fishing games.

As for lines snapping, I've lost 4 catfish this year due to broken lines. Eventually went up to 40 pound japanese nano lines, and the evil sucker still snaps it. Lost a pole 2 years ago. I gotta go somewhere with smaller fish!

UPDATE

I got the online to work with my buddy and with two strangers and it works PERFECT!

Maybe I was doing something wrong (doubt it) or maybe it was first day game jitters but now it works perfectly.

Made the game a whole lot better though I WISH THERE WAS A HEADSET, and I wish we could fish from the same boat. Other then that its really good.

I also got a little better at reeling them in without breaking lines.

All in all, great game

How do you compare this game to the Rapala fishing game?

Tried Rapala and it was terrible. When plan Rapala and I set a hook, I would have wanted to at least feel the tension and be able to reel and not just hit a button and the computer does it all.

Does hooked actually have you reeling and setting the hook? Any info would be great.

Thanks, miller

JMiller said:
How do you compare this game to the Rapala fishing game?

Tried Rapala and it was terrible. When plan Rapala and I set a hook, I would have wanted to at least feel the tension and be able to reel and not just hit a button and the computer does it all.

Does hooked actually have you reeling and setting the hook? Any info would be great.

Thanks, miller

same, id like to hear some first hand info on this one because fishing SEEMS genius on the wii, especially with online

metalfreak said:
same, id like to hear some first hand info on this one because fishing SEEMS genius on the wii, especially with online

I got this game a couple weeks ago. It's way better than Rapalla. You do actually reel, cast and hook. It's best to get it with the controller. Setting the nunchuck in for the reel is perfect.

Catching fish takes some getting used to, during the game it tells you which way to tilt your rod, which is actually like moving a real rod left and right to pull the line. Online and tournament play doesn't tell you which way to go, and you must use your skills making it a little more difficult. I have lost a lot of fish.

Online play can be random or with friend codes, and I haven't experienced lag at all. Up to 4 other fishers can compete, but you can't see each other on the main screen, only where each is on the map. It also tells when someone has a fish hooked, how big it is if they catch it and how much weight worth of fish has been caught.

I think it's a great game. I still haven't unlocked all the lures or beat all the tournaments, but random fishing battles are great when I don't feel like those. The main stream reviewers didn't do this game justice at all. For one they said you can't use the pointer when the controller is docked in the rod. If they paid attention you can unlock the top of the rod and slide it off, revealing the pointer, leaving it so you can reel. The pointer is useless in game, I only unlock the top to select it on the main Wii menu and then slide the top back on.

Here's a picture of my rod. First is the top unlocked for Wiimote pointer use, second is locked and ready to catch! The top's extendable, but that's useless.

wiirod1fb2.jpg

wiirod2pb1.jpg

JohnnyRed said:
UPDATE

I got the online to work with my buddy and with two strangers and it works PERFECT!

Maybe I was doing something wrong (doubt it) or maybe it was first day game jitters but now it works perfectly.

Made the game a whole lot better though I WISH THERE WAS A HEADSET, and I wish we could fish from the same boat. Other then that its really good.

I also got a little better at reeling them in without breaking lines.

All in all, great game

Has the status of beer drinking changed?

This is good news to me because I bought the game at Bass Pro last night. I was hoping I could get some honest opinions besides the half-assed mainstream reviews, and it looks like I got them here. Thanks for the impressions guys, and I'll have some of my own in the next week or so.

Back