Hooking Wii up to PC monitor? And a few other things.

Flesh Warlord

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2006
Original post:

Hello guys,

I'm getting a Wii soon and I need something confirmed. The only real place I can use my Wii would be at my PC, using my 19" Monitor (FLATRON L1919S & Acer AL1916W). I'm wondering if it's possible and what gear I would need to do so.
Someone told me I need a VGA box VDigi Electronics. Obviously I don't want to go out and buy one without knowing this for sure first. Also, would I need my computer to be running for this? Would it lag at all?

Ok also, atm I live in Sweden with my girlfriend, but we are soon moving back home to Australia... Will my European Wii be able to run Australian games?

Thanks guys.

Information shared:

Through what I have gathered, if your monitor does not support 'Component video output or Composite video output' you will need a VGA box. A good one can be found at VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review - Xbox & Component cables from a select few online stores.
(Note: Make sure the VGA box will support your monitor, there are a few that will not be compatible)

Also @ the game regions. Apparently games from Australia will work fine on the UK Wii consoles. Visa Versa. (I could really do with someone confirming this)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Flesh Warlord said:
Hello guys,

I'm getting a Wii soon and I need something confirmed. The only real place I can use my Wii would be at my PC, using my 19" Monitor (FLATRON L1919S). I'm wondering if it's possible and what gear I would need to do so.
Someone told me I need a VGA box VDigi Electronics. Obviously I don't want to go out and buy one without knowing this for sure first. Also, would I need my computer to be running for this? Would it lag at all?

Ok also, atm I live in Sweden with my girlfriend, but we are soon moving back home to Australia... Will my European Wii be able to run Australian games?

Thanks guys.

Any type of AV to VGA box or adapter/cable will work.

vagrant said:
Any type of AV to VGA box or adapter/cable will work.

Ok awesome. Will I need my pc running for this? Or will it go directly from the Wii -> Monitor?
Also, could you link me to one that would be ideal? So I know exactly what I'm looking at.

(P.S. What does AV/VGA stand for? ^ ^)

Last edited:
I can't completely confirm the Sweden/Australia video covnersion, but if both countries are using the same video format, either NTSC or PAL, there shouldn't be a problem. The PC would not be involved in the conversion either, just the cable converting it to VGA.

Edit: DVDCity: Check out key DVD Player features pretty sure they use PAL.

Last edited:
Flesh Warlord said:
Ok awesome. Will I need my pc running for this? Or will it go directly from the Wii -> Monitor?
Also, could you link me to one that would be ideal? So I know exactly what I'm looking at.

(P.S. What does AV/VGA stand for? ^ ^)

You have to hook your monitor into the Transceiver/Converter, so no, your PC will be nowhere in the equation.

Just unplug it from your PC and back in when you want to use your computer.

AV = Audio Video cable meaning the yellow red white. VGA meaning the most common form of Monitor cable.

Thanks alot guys, you cleared everything up! I'm looking forward very much to playing my Wii.

One more thing though... On that link you gave me ftcmark, it says Sweden/UK is a different region code to Australia. Is that a bad thing? :S If so I guess I could just get one sent from Australia and order my games from their also.

Btw, is this what I need: (VDigi Electronics)

Hi,

I think region only matters for DVD's, however, I'm not an expert. Video standards are the biggy. Here's a quote.

"If you're in North America, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and parts of South America, you use NTSC. Most other areas of the world use PAL or SECAM. Half of Brazil uses NTSC while the other half uses PAL-M. Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay use PAL-N. The rest of the world uses mainly PAL. If you're unsure what your video standard is, contact your local cable or broadcast company. Also, on the back of most video tapes is indicate what video standard the tape is. This is a good representation of what your video standard is."

I could be way off, but when I look at consoles on ebay, I always see the video standards as well.

Flesh Warlord said:
Thanks alot guys, you cleared everything up! I'm looking forward very much to playing my Wii.

One more thing though... On that link you gave me ftcmark, it says Sweden/UK is a different region code to Australia. Is that a bad thing? :S If so I guess I could just get one sent from Australia and order my games from their also.

Btw, is this what I need: (VDigi Electronics)

Yes that is exactly what you need.

ftcmark that quote unease's me. But I will figure it out.

Once again, thanks alot guys, huge help to me. I am usually alright with computers, but this is a whole new area to me. Anyway, I should be around these forums a fair bit, now that I'm getting a Wii. So cya round.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I am 99% sure both countries use PAL, so it shouldn't be an issue with the wii.

hey

WAIT
I just googled your monitors specs, and it seems it may have Component ports (I will try and confirm this), which means you wouldn't even need a VGA Box, just the Nintendo Wii Component cables. Also, the VGA Box you linked to has Component input, so you would need the Nintendo Wii Component cables to use it. The regular Composite cables would not work with that VGA Box.

Finally, I should warn you to be careful with your selection of VGA Box, as I have heard some (or many?) produce a bad picture quality. You should try and find reviews and stuff to ensure it will produce a nice picture quality.

But yea, I think you won't even need a VGA Box ;), just the Nintendo Wii Component cables, but I will try and confirm this for you. Well if you see 3 RCA connectors on the back of your monitor, then I'd say they are the Component inputs :).

edit
Sorry, I'm now quite sure your monitor doesn't have Component ports :\. So yea, you will need a VGA Box, unless you somehow modify a Nintendo Wii Component cable into VGA (hd-15) cable.

Ohh, and I think if the VGA Box you get doesn't require power from your PC, then it should work okay without your computer switched on.

Finally, I thought you may want to read a post I made in this thread, about the picture quality on LCD based displays.

cyas

Last edited:
You got many ways you can hook up your Wii via online:

The Cheapest Way:

Buy a WiFi usb adaptor from any electronic store, it usually sells for 39.99 (USD), and it's mostly referred to as for use of the DS but in the manual itself states that you can use it.

The Original Way:

Get a Wii adaptor, which is coming soon and hook up all the wiring and stuff.

The Best Way:

Get a Wireless router (good ones cost around 70, you may be able to bargain though.), and once you hook up the Wireless router, you can have your Wii anywhere in your household and be connected, this as well goes for laptops as well as the 360 and the Ps3.

hey

After quickly looking over the teamxbox.com VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review, I think it would be a nice VGA Box to get :).

I thought I'd quote something I think is useful to know from that review.
The first thing you need to know about the Enhanced VD-Z3 is that it is a true VGA adapter, or what is known as a transcoder; meaning it converts both progressive and HDTV video signals to the VGA standard accepted by most desktop monitors. If you see a VGA adapter that is suspiciously cheap, it is more than likely just a “scan doubler”; a device that only accepts standard TV signals (interlaced) and converts them to VGA. These low-priced VGA adapters won’t let you enjoy HDTV on your computer monitor.

edit
Hmm, I'm not sure now... I just read that it may not support all monitors or something? maybe it's todo with what resolutions your monitor supports? See HERE. Hmm, what region Nintendo Wii do you have? If you have a PAL system, then your monitor may not support it? as I think for a PAL system the resolution would be 720x576 or 704x576. But if you have a NTSC system, then I think it would work on your monitor, as for a NTSC system the resolution would be 640x480 :).

But yea, I think your monitor only supports resolutions of... 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, and 640x350.

cyas

Last edited:
there is such a thing called a adaptec gamebridge which converts the red yellow white into a usb plug! mabye you could use that!

yosh64 said:
hey

After quickly looking over the teamxbox.com VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review, I think it would be a nice VGA Box to get :).

I thought I'd quote something I think is useful to know from that review.

edit
Hmm, I'm not sure now... I just read that it may not support all monitors or something? maybe it's todo with what resolutions your monitor supports? See HERE. Hmm, what region Nintendo Wii do you have? If you have a PAL system, then your monitor may not support it? as I think for a PAL system the resolution would be 720x576 or 704x576. But if you have a NTSC system, then I think it would work on your monitor, as for a NTSC system the resolution would be 640x480 :).

But yea, I think your monitor only supports resolutions of... 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, and 640x350.

cyas

Hmmm, this is worrying me. I have not got my Wii as of yet, but I'm planning to very soon (just need to work all this stuff out). If I bought a Wii in Sweden, would it be the same as the one I would buy in England? And then would that version be the same as the Australian one? I can easily order an Australian one if it would make everything easier. I really need all this sorted out asap... I'm trying to find out if that box you showed me would work with my monitor.

Another question is on my mind also. I was thinking about all this and then I realised I needed sound also... Obviously. How would I go about that? Does this VGA box have something I can plug speakers into? As in computer speakers? Or would I need to buy other speakers.

God... this is all so stressful.

Back