Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hookup Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by brewboy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

I just got my Wii.....I cannot figure out how to hook this thing up! I got some Wii component cables that have 2 red, 1 blue, 1 white and one green input into the tv. There is no yellow? I am trying to hook this into a new panasonic plasma with just 3 inputs, R & L volume and tv. I even tried the cables that came with the Wii, but I cannot figure out what I need to set my TV on to play this thing....have spent well over an hour now reading the directions but too stupid I guess to figure it out. I have the 50" panasonic plasma if that makes a difference with the inputs in the front of the tv.....I am dieing to play this thing so any help ASAP would be great....:yikes:

2. blueovalboy7

blueovalboy7 They call me Hammy!

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Well your Panasonic should have component inputs somewhere there on the back. If you can't find them use the supplied composite cables and hook it into your input and then find the correct input using your remote. I am not too familiar with Panasonics but if you give me a model number maybe I can try to help you out.

3. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

TH-50PX60U is my model #

So would I need to unattach my tv from my wall mount to find these component cable slots?

Thanks for your help!!

4. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    You might have to, let me see if I can find some info to better help you.

5. samXcor3

samXcor3 the best kid!

Wii Friend Code: 3732-3369-2853-4491
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    once you get it hooked to the tv you need to set it to the channel. near the inputs where you put the wii cords into the tv it should say "av 1" or something like that. this is the channel you need. to get to that channel, first try going around channel 4 and go down and sometimes below channel 1 it will say av1/av2 or somehing like that. you need to change the input channel on the tv. sometimes it will have a button on the remote to switch between cable, line1, line2, stuff like that. the line1 line 2 is like different sets of ports you can plug video games into, or digital cameras or stuff liek that.

6. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

But why do the component cables I bought that say for Wii not have a yellow cable with it?

7. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Were you trying to hook it up on the front of the tv? If so you only have a composite/s-video input on the front. To utilize your component cables you're going to need to get to the back of the tv and hook it up in the rear. Then once you're hooked up to one of the component inputs; use the TV/Video button on the tv's remote (make sure the Wii is on so you have a signal) and find the input that the Wii is hooked up on. You should be good after that.

The Red/Green/Blue are the higher quality cables to replace the composite (yellow) video cable and thus utilizing your HD. Does that make sense?

8. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

Okay, sounds good! thanks for the help.....now how do I know the channel it will be hooked up to? And should these cables I bought not have a yellow then like the composite cables have?

9. samXcor3

samXcor3 the best kid!

Wii Friend Code: 3732-3369-2853-4491
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    components are just different colors from regular, because you need to plug them into the same color on your tv. plugging a green component into a red av jack wont work or itll mess up or something. theyre just color coded so you know what to do once you get at your tv because component cable does not equal AV cables.

10. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    You shouldn't have to worry about any channels, just find the correct input and make sure your Wii is on so you can see when you're on the right one. On the Panasonic remote it should have a TV/VIDEO button and if you hit that a few times and cycle through your inputs you should be able to find it.

11. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

Well hell, my wife is so f'ing anal she won't let me unhook the tv from the wall to hook the cables into it.....anyone want a wii for a good price? God, why did he make women so freaking anal.....

12. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    She won't let you unhook it? Wow, that is pretty anal, she not want cables hanging down or what?

13. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

Nope, she wants the cables behind the wall and they don't seem to make the wii compatible component cables long enough to hide them.

Tell me what you think about this tv: it has an 8ms refresh rate, at least that's the way I read it to be.

It's a vizio and has gotten 5 star ratings everywhere. They have it at
    wal-mart for $448.

Experience the lifelike realism of high definition video on this advanced 720p HDTV. The tuner can receive conventional analog channels (NTSC) and the new digital channels (ATSC), including over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (where available) and unscrambled digital cable channels. An exceptional contrast ratio and fast 8-ms. response time deliver excellent picture quality. An HDMI port and a variety of other inputs make it simple to connect DVD players, digital cameras, camcorders, game consoles and even your computer.

Note: You must have a source of HD programming in order to take full advantage of an HDTV. Otherwise, the picture quality of an HDTV without an HD source may not be much better than that of a standard-definition TV. Please contact your local cable or satellite TV provider for details on how to upgrade to HD programming.

Key Features & Benefits:

26-inch widescreen LCD

Delivers 1366 x 768 resolution with more than a million pixels for excellent picture quality at 720p

Built-in ATSC digital/NTSC analog tuner

Receives conventional analog broadcasts and digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available

700:1 contrast ratio and 8-ms. response time

Ensure deeper blacks and brighter whites along with less blurring when there is motion onscreen

HDMI, component video, S-video, composite video, audio and computer inputs

Accommodate DVD players, camcorders, computers and other gear

Two built-in speakers and virtual surround

Furnish room-filling audio with surround sound effect

3.49 inches deep with removable stand

14. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Meh for the price its a decent tv, but you can get much better. Looking for a 26" or around that size?

The contrast ratio is why I say it's just ok. If it had a bit higher contrast ratio like at 1000:1 at least I would say definitely go for it. Everything else is pretty decent, and Vizios aren't bad at all.

#14 blueovalboy7, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  15. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

Well, could you give me something that you have in mind for a flat panel tv with the things you are talking about here and around this price range? Any help would be great....thanks so much for the help!!!!

16. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    No problem, lucky for you I've been looking into HDTVs for the past few months, and bargain hunting so let me look around on a few sites and see if I can find anything better. What sizes were you thinking?

Looking at it again I may not be able to find with a higher contrast ratio, but I'll look nonetheless.

What were you planning on using it for, just TV usage or some gaming?

Well for the money I don't think you're going to be able to get much better than that, I found a couple off brands with higher contrast ratios, but 700:1 is good enough on that size screen if you were in the 30"+ range I'd say definitely no lower than 1000:1 which is what the Vizios run at when you get into that range. I personally have found Olevia to have very decent quality tvs for around the same prices as Vizio. I was trying to find this:
    http://www.olevia.com/products/specs.aspx?pid=226t
    On one of the retail sites, but no such luck yet. Alright the Vizio should be fine and definitely at that price but if you want to check out that Olevia, they have it listed on Target's website for $499.99.

#16 blueovalboy7, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  17. brewboy

brewboy WiiChat Member

Thanks for the help! I looked at the TV you listed, and that is 1600:1 ratio, which is amazing isn't? Is a 26" an okay size for gaming purposes only? Also, this may be a real dumb question, but setting this tv on a stand that's about 36" tall would be kind of strange being you stand to play Wii games, well the Wii games we want to play any ways. Should I hang this on the wall? My next and last question though is this, do they make component cables longer then 10' so I can hide them if I do hang this on the wall? Thanks again everyone!!!!!

#17 brewboy, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  18. blueovalboy7

0000-0000-0000-0000
    I think a 26" is big enough but if you can, bigger is better, makes things easier to see. I personally haven't seen component cables that long for the Wii. Well wall-mounting is up to you, because your cables are going to hang down the wall. You may need to buy a tv stand for it that has a cabinet so you can hide all the wires and the console if you so desire.