Hookup Help!!!!!!!

brewboy

WiiChat Member
Nov 12, 2007
I just got my Wii.....I cannot figure out how to hook this thing up! I got some Wii component cables that have 2 red, 1 blue, 1 white and one green input into the tv. There is no yellow? I am trying to hook this into a new panasonic plasma with just 3 inputs, R & L volume and tv. I even tried the cables that came with the Wii, but I cannot figure out what I need to set my TV on to play this thing....have spent well over an hour now reading the directions but too stupid I guess to figure it out. I have the 50" panasonic plasma if that makes a difference with the inputs in the front of the tv.....I am dieing to play this thing so any help ASAP would be great....:yikes:

Well your Panasonic should have component inputs somewhere there on the back. If you can't find them use the supplied composite cables and hook it into your input and then find the correct input using your remote. I am not too familiar with Panasonics but if you give me a model number maybe I can try to help you out.

TH-50PX60U is my model #

So would I need to unattach my tv from my wall mount to find these component cable slots?

Thanks for your help!!

once you get it hooked to the tv you need to set it to the channel. near the inputs where you put the wii cords into the tv it should say "av 1" or something like that. this is the channel you need. to get to that channel, first try going around channel 4 and go down and sometimes below channel 1 it will say av1/av2 or somehing like that. you need to change the input channel on the tv. sometimes it will have a button on the remote to switch between cable, line1, line2, stuff like that. the line1 line 2 is like different sets of ports you can plug video games into, or digital cameras or stuff liek that.

But why do the component cables I bought that say for Wii not have a yellow cable with it?

Were you trying to hook it up on the front of the tv? If so you only have a composite/s-video input on the front. To utilize your component cables you're going to need to get to the back of the tv and hook it up in the rear. Then once you're hooked up to one of the component inputs; use the TV/Video button on the tv's remote (make sure the Wii is on so you have a signal) and find the input that the Wii is hooked up on. You should be good after that.

brewboy said:
But why do the component cables I bought that say for Wii not have a yellow cable with it?
The Red/Green/Blue are the higher quality cables to replace the composite (yellow) video cable and thus utilizing your HD. Does that make sense?

Okay, sounds good! thanks for the help.....now how do I know the channel it will be hooked up to? And should these cables I bought not have a yellow then like the composite cables have?

components are just different colors from regular, because you need to plug them into the same color on your tv. plugging a green component into a red av jack wont work or itll mess up or something. theyre just color coded so you know what to do once you get at your tv because component cable does not equal AV cables.

brewboy said:
Okay, sounds good! thanks for the help.....now how do I know the channel it will be hooked up to? And should these cables I bought not have a yellow then like the composite cables have?
You shouldn't have to worry about any channels, just find the correct input and make sure your Wii is on so you can see when you're on the right one. On the Panasonic remote it should have a TV/VIDEO button and if you hit that a few times and cycle through your inputs you should be able to find it.

Well hell, my wife is so f'ing anal she won't let me unhook the tv from the wall to hook the cables into it.....anyone want a wii for a good price? God, why did he make women so freaking anal.....

She won't let you unhook it? Wow, that is pretty anal, she not want cables hanging down or what?

Nope, she wants the cables behind the wall and they don't seem to make the wii compatible component cables long enough to hide them.

Tell me what you think about this tv: it has an 8ms refresh rate, at least that's the way I read it to be.

It's a vizio and has gotten 5 star ratings everywhere. They have it at
wal-mart for $448.

Experience the lifelike realism of high definition video on this advanced 720p HDTV. The tuner can receive conventional analog channels (NTSC) and the new digital channels (ATSC), including over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (where available) and unscrambled digital cable channels. An exceptional contrast ratio and fast 8-ms. response time deliver excellent picture quality. An HDMI port and a variety of other inputs make it simple to connect DVD players, digital cameras, camcorders, game consoles and even your computer.

Note: You must have a source of HD programming in order to take full advantage of an HDTV. Otherwise, the picture quality of an HDTV without an HD source may not be much better than that of a standard-definition TV. Please contact your local cable or satellite TV provider for details on how to upgrade to HD programming.

Key Features & Benefits:

26-inch widescreen LCD

Delivers 1366 x 768 resolution with more than a million pixels for excellent picture quality at 720p

Built-in ATSC digital/NTSC analog tuner

Receives conventional analog broadcasts and digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available

700:1 contrast ratio and 8-ms. response time

Ensure deeper blacks and brighter whites along with less blurring when there is motion onscreen

HDMI, component video, S-video, composite video, audio and computer inputs

Accommodate DVD players, camcorders, computers and other gear

Two built-in speakers and virtual surround

Furnish room-filling audio with surround sound effect

3.49 inches deep with removable stand

Meh for the price its a decent tv, but you can get much better. Looking for a 26" or around that size?

The contrast ratio is why I say it's just ok. If it had a bit higher contrast ratio like at 1000:1 at least I would say definitely go for it. Everything else is pretty decent, and Vizios aren't bad at all.

Last edited:
Well, could you give me something that you have in mind for a flat panel tv with the things you are talking about here and around this price range? Any help would be great....thanks so much for the help!!!!

Back