Host Advantage

Sovieto

Banned
Aug 6, 2006
How would you guys feel is SSBB boasted the ever so popular host advantage? Which it just might..

WHAT IS HOST ADVANTAGE YOU MIGHT ASK?
Well, basically, when someone hosts a game they get 0 lag, meaning all their moves activate right away, what they see on screen is what is actually is going on.
Also meaning,
you are about to KO your opponent who is host, you go to finish him but once you start your move the game spikes and he is on the other side of the arena already having grabbed a Final Smash and blows you to pieces.

Will this turn you off from the online? How will wiichat tourneys be held if there is host advantage? Who will be the host? Lag in fighters is the reason they were one of the last genres to go online, it kills them completely.

It would ruin online play IMO and I probably wouldnt do wi-fi...=/

Will this turn you off from the online? How will wiichat tourneys be held if there is host advantage? Who will be the host? Lag in fighters is the reason they were one of the last genres to go online, it kills them completely.

Not really, Id probably just keep to regionals.. even if there is still a small difference in lag and synch.

Bolded is good point though. I wonder if spectators can host and 2 fighters join to equalize it?

IMO, unless you lag every 5 seconds, there should be no escuse for losing, and im sure lag wont be that bad. if your really good and think you deserve to win, then i say lag really wont be a problem unless ur like playin some1 in japan or UK from the US

i HOPE it wont be a problem we just got to wait and see but... a pro in favor it wont be that they are releasing online so that means they had to have tried it out YES?

ALL games that are online usually have a host advantage. So dont worry about it. if your internet is crappy then why would you go online if you know you'll lag spike 500 times in one match?

Maybe Nintendo will do something to counter it? Such as nerfing people's jumps or lowering defense.

I don't think Nintendo should make the host have any disadvantages. As Sakurai said in another update, if an opponent leaves, a CPU will take it's spot. Hopefully it won't lag too much...it WILL turn me away from playing online.

Well if you know your connection is **** then you just host a match and have no lag while they get all the lag. Lag isn't always dependent on location or quality though, sometimes someones internet connection just isn't good with another. In SSB there is a lot of on the spot button mashes and quick thinking blocks, lag will make this all for not.

Nintendo did fine w/the DS lag. Sonic Rush adventure=Flawless, but turn based games (Pokeman) were very laggy.
Dont know about wii games, havnt tried Wii's wi-fi but if it's like the Internet browser, it will suck.

i wonder if brawl can really support online without no lag considering the really bad lag from madden and budokai tenkaichi

madden has bad lag and thats proabably EA's fault

same with whoever developed Budokai

MSC doesnt have very bad lag at all, its clean and Nintendo handeled that game so i dont see any reason why the one of if not THE biggest wii title so far and probably of the next year or so would have any lag...seriously...they would NOT let that happen. i expect some serious overhaul for the online portion of this game.

as far as host advantage i think it shouldnt even happen, because of the close quarters combat this game promotes, i mean in games like halo where its massive and the host is one miniscule player no biggie but lets say your playing some 1 v 1 the host has a significant advantage...

if there is lag then for tournies just have the spectator host like sum1 said above, problem solved

Back