how big shud i go!!

pugme

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2007
Hi there, i shud be recieving my wii on the 14th and i was wondering, i already have a 2gig and a 512 sd card which i use with one of my phones, but, wud i be worth buying a 4 gig card for my wii??

what exactly is the sd card used for? or shud i just use my 2 gig'r and swap it from phone to wii when needed??

how big do most of u have?

Well, first you should check the size of your SD card. Typically, the SD cards used in cell phones are mini editions, not standard size. The Wii uses standard size SD cards.
It's only used for game saves and such, not too much memory will get used up.

no, my phone uses normal sd cards, its a pda/phone/satnav/media player!

so really id need a dedicated sd card for my wii then, maybe ill get a 4 gig for my phone and use my 2 gig with the wii

I don't think Wii is compatible with anything larger than 2 GB...

sweet, well looks like im sorted then!! :D just need my wii to put over my sd card! but its only used for game saves and downloads etc then, seems weird my xbox has a 20 gig hdd and the ps3 can have upto a 60gig hdd ud have thought nintendo wud have put a bit more storage capabilities into thir console.

Yea, just use the 2GB. You really wont need that much space for games and I heard that the maximum limit of pictures is 1,000.

I have a 1GB SD card and it's got either 6 or 7 thousand (can't remember which one) "blocks" and each game takes up 3-5 blocks so far for me.

Leche159TKE said:
Well, first you should check the size of your SD card. Typically, the SD cards used in cell phones are mini editions, not standard size.

Yeah, SD Micros, but nearly every [if not all] Micro SD card sold comes with an adapter to fit into regular SD slots.

There are a few confirmed cards larger than 2gb to work in the wii, but it's hit and miss. 2GB is the safer bet.

But I honestly don't see the need for it at all unless you want to share game saves online or with friends. I mean...in the days I played on the PS2, I barely filled up the 8mb memory card, and people are worried about running out of space on the 512mb internal Wii memory space? Pft. Ya'll are crazy and paranoid.

Just don't go overboard. The 64mb micro SD card for my phone that I don't use anymore (since I got a 512 for christmas) is more than enough to carry stuff like my Madden game saves over to my friend's house. Your current cards are far more than enough.

P.S. Oh yeah, as far as what the SD card is used for: Nothing required. It's for you to use the limited photo-gallery capabilities on the wii (in addition to a sort of "paint" photo-editing), but who really loads up pictures to display on the TV? Other than that you just use it as a means to transport game saves (which are hardly that big) to other consoles or to your PC (for internet uploads/downloads). There may be other uses in the future, but not yet.

Oh, right, completely forgot about those.

But, still, how much space could they possibly take up?
I have an n64 emulator on my computer right now. The program is roughly 4mb, an additional 10mb for over a dozen game saves, and the largest ROM (game) is under 10mb. And that's for an n64 emulation, the most recent generation available on the VC.

How much space could VC titles possibly take up? Enlighten me.

Well if you get a spare 1gig that oughta hold you, unless Ninty surprises us with a buncha new channels an space-taking things ;)

Leche159TKE said:
Well, first you should check the size of your SD card. Typically, the SD cards used in cell phones are mini editions, not standard size. The Wii uses standard size SD cards.
It's only used for game saves and such, not too much memory will get used up.

You can buy adapters for MINI SD cards to fit with the Wii.
They're really isn't a point to the SD cards.
It's cool with Photo Gallery for about 20 minutes.
Excite Truck is fun with your own music too.
But that's about it so far.

Who knows maybe a new add on will come out sometime soon.

I bought a 2gig. And I've got lots of crap on it, plus some pics, and MP3s for playin on the Wii. I've got all my save games and VC games backed up on it too. You don't need a dedicated SD card for the Wii. It just makes a directory that stores the saves. I am glad I went with 2gig instead of 1 because it's about half full so far.

Oh I thought I would need to buy a SD card but since the Wii already has 512mb I think I'll be good for awhile.

Back