Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How long till you thing Sony makes a PS3 light

Discussion in 'Playstation Consoles' started by CoreyNJ, Jan 4, 2007.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ WiiChat Member

If they cut out Blue-Ray (assuming the games aren't blue-ray format) and they cut out some additional stuff they could be in direct line with the Xbox360's price. In that case they would not be competing with the likes of Dell, HP and all the other computer vendors for a share of household disposable income.

It would be a big political decision for them as I know they were hoping including blue-ray would help blue-ray beat out HD-DVD by providing a large install base, but it's at the expense of pricing the game system out of most family's easy reach.

2. Mario Racer

Mario Racer WiiChat Member

i like blu Ray, no restrictions with space disk wise,imagine the amount and lengh of CG movies in games like final fantasy

#2 Mario Racer, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ WiiChat Member

I understand that right now the PS3 is the cheapest way to get blue-ray. I just would like sony to succeed with the PS3 and I think they priced themselves away from many in their target audience (18-34 crowd).

4. Mario Racer

I think they would like to gain profit from the funding spent to drive the cells development and the rest of the console, but the console aint even out world wide yet, we have to wait till march!

once its out world wide,the sales comparision would then be fair.

5. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Apparently some people don't follow the gaming news where every week they talk about sales being low in both the U.S. and Japan.

6. ddslee

ddslee WiiChat Member

Unfortunately, Blu-ray can't be cut from PS3 since the PS3 games are on Blu-ray discs.

If they do, all their future game releases from that point on must be on DVD discs for compatibility issues.

Bottom line, it will never happen. Sony will rise or fall with Blu-ray.

7. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    Actually there are players in developement called Total HD players that will play both formats. So it might be possible for both formats to live for a lot longer than originally thought.

8. sagema

sagema 3D Artist

Wii Friend Code: 4496-9128-1304-3457
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Anyone remember FF7? It came on 3 disks and was $39.99. On top of that it was one of the best games ever made. I think Sony has completely forgotten how to make a great game. If they ditched blue ray and put some games on multiple DVDs, it wouldn't be so bad. If they dropped the price of the games, it would be great. Sony chose CD formats back in the day to save money over catridges. They clearly haven't followed what made them great in the past.

All I hear today are excuses why things cost so much. Well excuses in the business world equals failure.

9. Themadnun

Themadnun WiiChat Member

If you mean light, as in smaller, then the PS3 light would still be the size of a small family car...

10. Mario Racer

Apparently some people don't Realise thats only two countrys.

11. Themadnun

Themadnun WiiChat Member

Although some people don't realise that those two countries are two of the main countries in the game industry... Plus the U.S is huge compared to any other country

12. Mario Racer

UK,Australia,Europe Dont have Ps3s Yet, PSP sells the most in the UK ( from what i read ), those countrys will give sales a healthy boost come March.

13. Themadnun

Themadnun WiiChat Member

I doubt it... if you lived in the UK, you'd know that most of the PS1/2 fanboys are actually dole-bound chavs, who really, really won't be able to afford a PS3 in the next year, and the reason they sell PSP's so much is because they're very, very cheap over here, and that they've been hacked to bits

*edit* put PS2 instead of PS3

14. Mario Racer

Well Only Time will tell, if your right and with a world wide release of the ps3 resulting in still slow sales, i would suspect a huge price drop to match the xbox360, thats actually a great outcome for me. Heres hoping Lol.

15. Themadnun

Themadnun WiiChat Member

Well if there was a price drop like that i would probably get one, just for the sake of it (gettign a job in the next week or two) but i doubt it'll happen, like i mentioned in one of the other threads i'm sure you've read, sony is losing a LOT of money on each PS3 sold, so a price drop for them would just be stupid, i think a pull from the market is more likely, with my limited experience in business, that is

16. Mario Racer

In saying that,a price drop is not a good idea, Then the price thats so high for Ps3,to sony was only right buisness sence, but with a price drop,they could make up for the profit gains their not achieving, right now selling in the thousands,a price drop would probably bring the figure into the millions almost instantly, thats the most realistic slide of a console strategy as the millions shifted would add up more than the thousands,$$$ Wise,assuming.

17. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    Apparently some aussies don't realize that the U.S. and Japan make up most of all video game console sales.

18. Mario Racer

lmao, so the rest of the worlds combined hardware and software sales is nothing? , go check some figures on the PAL sales.

19. Themadnun

Themadnun WiiChat Member

I don't think that a price drop would make any sense at all, because then they would be losing nearly double what they are now, just to make the price acceptable, and for each one they sell now, they have to sell around 8-10 games for each system, just to break even, with a price drop, they would have to sell 16-20 games for each system sold just to break even, and considering a PS3 game is going to be around £50-£60 each, because of the strange format of the disk, then with a price drop the comsumer would have to spend £800-£1000 on games... could you see yourself, or anyone you know spending that much on games? i know i couldnt...

The most likely plan in case of failure if either an affiliation with another company, do a "SEGA", withdraw from the market entirely and stick to what they do best, or a complete redesign of the console itself, to offer a cheaper, more profitable way to play, which would probably mean either omitting the Blu-Ray drive, or reducing the processing power of the PS3, completely destroying the original reasons someone at this time would buy a PS3, and rendering all the old games/movies completely unusable with the new system, and potentially ending their life as a console maker anyway, because of those reasons.

20. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    If a system bombs in Japan and the U.S., it would take some spectacular sales elsewhere to make up for it.