How long will the wii last

yungblood6

Get Money Dummy
Sep 22, 2007
Kansas City
Wii Online Code
5134-2285-1457-3930
This is the question that i have always wondered how long will the wii last. If you can recall a few years ago the gamecube was nintendos hot new console but a year later it went down hill, do to the lack of third party software. I for one would hate to see it happen but if nintendo doesnt get any third party support they are on the way to repeating its mistake with the game cube. before you try to flame me or just say i don't know what im talking about, just look at all the games that we are waiting for they are made buy nintendo, the ones that arent are mostly party games, the other ones are not that good with the exception of two. Then you have the ports from other consoles, but lets get real why would i want to play carbon on the wii when i had it on the 360, or for that matter splintercell. Yes every one wants a wii and wii is sold out but the software sales arent matching. im not the only one the sees this http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/119002.html

I'm sure it will last a good 5 years.

but the system does need more (or better) third party support. . . but thats not Nintendo's fault. . . the developers should stop being so greedy making crappy games that don't cost much to produce.

If there is a console you should worry about it should be the ps3. . . the games simply take to long and too much money to develop. Though it obviously has the highest potential.

yungblood6 said:
This is the question that i have always wondered how long will the wii last. If you can recall a few years ago the gamecube was nintendos hot new console but a year later it went down hill, do to the lack of third party software. I for one would hate to see it happen but if nintendo doesnt get any third party support they are on the way to repeating its mistake with the game cube. before you try to flame me or just say i don't know what im talking about, just look at all the games that we are waiting for they are made buy nintendo, the ones that arent are mostly party games, the other ones are not that good with the exception of two. Then you have the ports from other consoles, but lets get real why would i want to play carbon on the wii when i had it on the 360, or for that matter splintercell. Yes every one wants a wii and wii is sold out but the software sales arent matching. im not the only one the sees this http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/119002.html

YoungBlood dont worry about the wii will last a good five years im positive that nintendo wont repeat what happened with the gamecube. the wii will surely prosper and have hundreds of games. The PS3 on the other hand isnt doing too well at all it barely has any games the only good games its getting are from the PS Store. so dont worry about wii worry about how crappy PS3 is.

i think because the wii is family based at lot of games will continue to come out for years to come and with ps3 the fact that its playstaion means its going to be out for a long time and that goes for xbox 360

Wii has done well this year, and 08 is sounding nice as well.
In 07, we are seeing Galaxy and Battalion Wars 2, among some other great games as well.
In 08, we are seeing WiiFit, Mario Kart, Brawl and Animal Crossing.
As well as unreleased news on new games and or characters.

Yes they need more third party support, but if they can make a few more sequels in 09 for some games they may be set.
I mean the Wii sold well on some pretty bad games..Wii Play etc.
The sales are going to be good with those good games coming out now.

So companies seeing these sales should jump in and develop some gems for the Wii.

i hope they do get more thirdparty support because im wearing thin on game to play lol. i wouldnt count the ps3 out just yet i mean there killer aps havent even came out yet, you still have socom, metal gear and so on. Plus as far as next gen goes xbox is already running out of room on there standerd dvds when playstation hasent even come close to filling a blueray disc yet. i think microsoft is going to have to implement its hdd or its hd dvd player to play games because gears of war took almost all the disk space, it was a beutiful game but it was really short. i dont see that being a problem for ps3. they also have fixed there controller vibration issue so it will be fun to see what happens in the next few years. For me other than Starwars force unleashed comming to the wii i think i lost my wow factor with it. not to say i wont have fun with other games but i dont think any thing is going to make me say i got to get that. esp after seeing 1ups vids on smg and ssbb its not a big wow i got to get that game.

well companies have seen the sells and i think there was an article on ign.com, 1up.com and gameinformer, talking about how developers are not realy trying to develope for the wii, be cause they think its just a fad. This sounds just like the gamecube problem thats why i brought the topic up. I have no problem with no third party developement but nintendo better come up with more charectors, and games other than mario, wario, zelda, mariokart, and SSBB if they plan on doing any thing. Rpg's in my book don't count.

say what you will but i personnally dont care for third party games. all i need is nintendo games and im fine. nintendo has a lot of first party games and a lot of second party games. not to mention that they said that they will be making more franchises.

Even if they do say that, companies could not ignore the potential of wii and they should quantify how much money they could make if they develop some games for it. I say wii and xbox360 will last for a long time. I say PS3 has yet to become a monster, it's a sleeping giant I suppose.

im not the only one the sees this

Uhh...Yeah, people have been talking about that for months now. Yet the Wii is still selling like hotcakes. The thing with the Wii is that none of the developers initially took it seriously when it was annouced a few years ago, and all went for the PS3 and then got bought out by Microsoft (heh) to develop on the 360. Nintendo was left on thier own with only a few companies to work with - and they experimented with all the simple mini games. It was only recently this past year that developers are now seeing how marketable the Wii is which is why we'll start seeing better 3rd party support later on in the cycle. In the mean time, keep yourself busy with Metroid Prime 3 :)

it will last about 5 years, until nintendo, sony and microsoft, all release a motion sensor console.......also until futher technology is available!!!

i don't think something can change from now on, since the famous "Halo 3" was microsoft's best move, they are now going to release new "Family-friendly X-box360".....which is worthless, how the hell are they going to compare x-box360's controller with wii's????

Last edited:
I think the Wii will last as long as you can't afford another console. :lol:
But seriously, it is a great console with large sales figures, so I am sure that it will last long enough for you to enjoy all of the great games. :)

I am very thankful that nintendo can continue to revolutionise the industry through sheer innovation.

But as stated in a previous post, developers would rather not utilise the wii's amazing capabilities, and just churn out the same old rubbish.

But that isn't their fault, it's down to the consumers, If the majority of the public were not sheep, and did not accept the tripe that is made available to them, then you would see a much more successful nintendo in terms of figures sold.

I do not, however possess a wii as of yet, because of cut backs at work, due to relocation, i am being let go. So at the moment I cannot afford :(. Oh well my DS keeps me more than happy :D

But too actually answer the thread question, I think the wii is just too appealing to not last for a good 5 years at least.

Last edited:
I agree with the 5+ years assessment. It will be strong through this generation of consoles.

GC's big problem was that LAST genreation was the start of On-Line console gaming, and GC failed to support that. The almost utter and total lack of online GC content made it lag behind the other consoles. No online death matches, no MMORPGs, nor FPSs.

Wii has solved that problem. It supports online competition. When SSBB Finally comes out, Wii will have the single most popular online fighting game. Wait and see.

Wii needs some online FPSs like Halo. But as I understand it, we should have a WWII FPS with online matches by Christmas, so there we are.

I have seen more 3rd party's coming to develop the wii in the past few months I think It'll catch on. I hope they continue and try to make long lasting Developers.

Back