How powerful will the Wii be?

Squall7

A li'l bit different
May 17, 2006
Cornwall, UK
Wii Online Code
8420-0141-9022-6948
http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/05162006/06/nintendo_rumor_wii_graphics_on_par_with_xbox_360
This article states that "According to this article on the site, Mozlapunk has recently spoken to a "reliable source" who claims that Nintendo's Wii console will be capable of displaying graphics that "will be visually on par with the Xbox 360 and may even exceed it slightly." This certainly has gotten many gamers' tongues wagging, since according to IGN they weren't expecting the console's graphical performance to be any more powerful than a slightly souped up Xbox console."
I have to say, that when I showed the E3 trailer of Red Steel to a friend, the first thing he said was "This is an FMV right?".
As far as I can tell, the graphics for pretty much all of the new Wii games are beautiful, which is why I can believe this happening. I mean, just imagine this major blow to the competition!

its not happening nintendo themselves said it wasnt nearly as powerful as the competition and red steel looked good but not great

While I don't doubt the games will be improved over the Gamecube, it will not be comparable to Xbox 360 games or PS3 in due time. The guy made mention of every game at E3 using the actual Wii's, but, I've heard from an alternate source, http://www.penny-arcade.com/, that they were actually running on Gamecubes rather than Wii's. I guess it's open for debate? :sick:

Squall7 said:
http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/05162006/06/nintendo_rumor_wii_graphics_on_par_with_xbox_360
This article states that "According to this article on the site, Mozlapunk has recently spoken to a "reliable source" who claims that Nintendo's Wii console will be capable of displaying graphics that "will be visually on par with the Xbox 360 and may even exceed it slightly." This certainly has gotten many gamers' tongues wagging, since according to IGN they weren't expecting the console's graphical performance to be any more powerful than a slightly souped up Xbox console."
I have to say, that when I showed the E3 trailer of Red Steel to a friend, the first thing he said was "This is an FMV right?".
As far as I can tell, the graphics for pretty much all of the new Wii games are beautiful, which is why I can believe this happening. I mean, just imagine this major blow to the competition!

It has to do with the developers. I mean Resident Evil 4 was/is one of the best looking games around. Graphically looks great, its all about maximizing the potiental of a console.

Last edited:
well the wii hasnt been relesed yet they could decide to buff it up abit or make like special graphic cards u buy seperately to make the graphics more sharper and just as good, if not better than xbox 360.

It's not like Xbox graphics were all that bad though. Besides, they're forgetting the fact that it's a 'souped up' meaning better than. That doesn't mean that the graphics are rubbish, merely less powerful than a 360, if the article is wrong. If it is right, I think Wii may have an even bigger monopoly over the console market this time!

l the nez was a 16 bit
the snez was a 32 bit
n64 was a 64 bit
gamecube 128 bit

so the wii will b a 252 bit .. or summin like that

oh buy the way i have no idea what i just typed and what it means

The true Link said:
l the nez was a 16 bit
the snez was a 32 bit
n64 was a 64 bit
gamecube 128 bit

so the wii will b a 252 bit .. or summin like that

oh buy the way i have no idea what i just typed and what it means

They're "word sizes". They're actually less important than they sound. Nowadays computers tend to be 32 or 64 bit.

Napalmbrain said:
They're "word sizes". They're actually less important than they sound. Nowadays computers tend to be 32 or 64 bit.

right, the word size hasn't mattered to video game consoles for about 5 years now. computers are just now making the move into 64 bit, meaning the n64 was about 10 years ahead of pc development in that regard. since then the hardware has developed to handle different word sizes, and now its more about how fast the hardware can pump the words through its pipeline.

its cool everyone can't know everything, i wouldn't know most of that if i didn't have a degree in computer science....

anyway, speculation aside nintendo has kept the exact specs from being known so until then there is no way to really tell how powerful the system will be exactly

but back to the speculation, i'd say it will actually be close to the 360 in terms of graphics. heres my reason: the price difference is about that between the high end and almost high end graphics cards from any given company currently available, ati for example has the x1800 and 1900 (high end) available for $450-600, the next step down x1600 retails for about $300

the differences are minimal are mostly speed related, the graphics look almost the same between the two cards except for certain bells and whistles (this is where the 360 and esp. the ps3 will outstrip the wii) supported by the more costly cards

Apparently a developer has leaked the specs for the Wii's CPU and GPU according to http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html
In this they seem to believe that the Wii will have slightly less horsepower then the origional xbox. Im not sure if i believe it entirely. The controlers given to developers wern't the same as the real ones (having wires and all) so i spose it is possible that nintendo diddn't send the real console either...
To me it seems unlikely that the Wii will be up to the ps3 and 360 in power though, if it was wouldn't nintendo of anounced it eairlier to sell convert more people to the Wii instead of letting them go out and buy 360s?

That is really good to heard becasue I was unsure of how powerfull it was going to be but it is awsome that it will be up to battle the xbox 360 in power.

Back