How to connect to internet with wii?

The Wii uses WiFi technology. If you don't know what that is, then go to howstuffworks.com/wifi (or something like that). Anyway, the Wii will use a program called the "Opera Web Browser". It allows you to connect to the Web via Wii. When you suscribe to Opera, you will get the first six months Opera Web service for free. After the six month trial, you can either unsuscribe, or pay $99 (U.S.) to buy it.

But where is where the offer really gets good: once you pay the first $99 fee, the Opera web service isfree. That's right. There is no by monthly service charges. One payment, and that's it.

*Note* I think that Nintendo uses their own internet to link Wii's together.

A question for you too Shade:

I need to buy anything, or I just turn on the Wii and that's it, get into internet?

Shade said:
When you suscribe to Opera, you will get the first six months Opera Web service for free. After the six month trial, you can either unsuscribe, or pay $99 (U.S.) to buy it.

If you buy Wii before July2007, you dont need to pay anything for browser, you get the browser for free. After that you need to buy it, but it wont cost as much as you are saying. It will cost some Wiipoints, but we dont know yet how many points.

And there is no thing like "Nintendos own internet"..
Internet is Internet..

Last edited:
I need to buy anything, or I just turn on the Wii and that's it, get into internet?

That is the most n00bish question ever.
You need a wireless router or a usb/ethernet adapter for your wii to detect a internet signal and thus connect to the internet. How did you expect it to get an internet signal?? Just magically steal your neighbors??

Arcadium said:

You need a wireless router connected to your computer for you to have wireless, or you could possibly use the DS Wifi card, not so sure about that though. If you don't have a wireless router, you can just use an ethernet cord.

dds said:
That is the most n00bish question ever.
You need a wireless router or a usb/ethernet adapter for your wii to detect a internet signal and thus connect to the internet. How did you expect it to get an internet signal?? Just magically steal your neighbors??

With no due respect, shut the f*ck up will ya?

400th POST :ihih: :arf: :hand: :cornut: :mad2: :thumbsup: :) :D ;) :cool: :yikes: :crazy: :smilewinkgrin: :ciappa: :yesnod: :wink: :lol:

I always thought Opera was open-source... I mean, who in their right mind would pay $99 for a browser? Firefox, ftw.

Shade said:
The Wii uses WiFi technology. If you don't know what that is, then go to howstuffworks.com/wifi (or something like that). Anyway, the Wii will use a program called the "Opera Web Browser". It allows you to connect to the Web via Wii. When you suscribe to Opera, you will get the first six months Opera Web service for free. After the six month trial, you can either unsuscribe, or pay $99 (U.S.) to buy it.

But where is where the offer really gets good: once you pay the first $99 fee, the Opera web service isfree. That's right. There is no by monthly service charges. One payment, and that's it.

This is the BIGGEST load of rubbish I have ever seen. Firstly, the guy was asking how you connect to the internet. The response would be that you need an Internet Service Provider (preferably get broadband) and a modem which should be provided by the ISP. Then plug the modem into the Wii through one of it's USB ports. If you get a wireless modem you don't even need to plug it in as the information will be sent wirelessly (magically) through the air.

Now to Shade

1. Why were you talking about the Opera Browser. The Opera Browser has nothing to do with you connecting you to the internet. It just allows you to browse websites. It is not necessary for online gaming

2. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR? There are no subscriptions for the Wii. NONE AT ALL.

3. If you buy your Wii before July you get Opera free. Fullstop. If you buy your wii after July and want the Opera browser you can buy it with Wii points but it WILL NOT be $99. It will be nowhere near that. More like $10.

4. Never post again, (not really)

Listen Arcadium. All you'll need is a wireless internet connection, so you either need a router, or you need to jack it from a hot spot (Starbucks, McD's, neighboors, lol)

A few questions of possible options im thinking of.
1) My wired router is currently provides my brother's computer with an internet connection. My friend offered to give me a wireless router for free so if I also connect that to my computer having 2 routers now, will that in any way affected my connection or my bros(won't be connecting wireless to his comp, itll still be the wired).
2) This ones shorter :p The ethernet cable that connects from the wired router to my bros comp. If I use another one of those and plug it into one of the other jacks on my router will I be able to connect that to the Wii and get internet like that? Does the Wii have a jack for it and is it compatible?

Sry know its long im just stressing dont wanna hold this off.

Back