how to fix red ring of doom

dark samus

come to the dark side....
Aug 22, 2007
victoria, australia
Wii Online Code
7159-9733-2785-0220
hey, first time in 360 forums, so don't be suprised if i say something stupid or noobish. but anyway a way to repair your 360 if it gets the red ring of doom (without sending it back or breaking it open) is i think, turn it off for 12 minutes then, wrap towels around it :wtf: for 15 minutes.... and presto! it should work....i think, im very tired and lazy and can't be bothered checking but just in case there should be a video on you tube if you want too see it work, type in 'towel trick' in search, if this dosn't work i'm sorry just thought i would share this with you. (im using wii browser so i cant retreive link.)

Last edited:
i tried the towel thing, worked for 5 minutes. your best bet is sending it back as soon as possible, so u can get it back before christmas, sorry to break the bad news to you, but it will take a month :(

el-zilcho said:
Yeah it really cant be a good idea to do that .

Its hardly a fix job is it?
ive read that some people use the towel thing and it works for like a week, but what good is that? what if your in the middle of a game and it just freezes without it being saved? i hate how unstable 360 is, i really regret buying one, i am still waiting for my 2nd one to get back from repairs im getting more and more angry by the hour :mad5:

Jay588 said:
ive read that some people use the towel thing and it works for like a week, but what good is that? what if your in the middle of a game and it just freezes without it being saved? i hate how unstable 360 is, i really regret buying one, i am still waiting for my 2nd one to get back from repairs im getting more and more angry by the hour :mad5:

I've had mine since launch and it's still going strong :lol:

It's fun to play but I can see why everyone get's so pissed off. What do you expect? It's Micro$oft. Just look at the poor job they did with Vista and the frequent crashes and BLue Screen Of Death's they had with every Windows operating system.

FRuMMaGe said:

It's fun to play but I can see why everyone get's so pissed off. What do you expect? It's Micro$oft. Just look at the poor job they did with Vista and the frequent crashes and BLue Screen Of Death's they had with every Windows operating system.

this is exactly why we are so pissed off, we spent money on vista, win98, win millenium, and even xp, and now xbox and they all have some sort of major problem, i've never had any problems with nintendo or sony..

Jay588 said:
this is exactly why we are so pissed off, we spent money on vista, win98, win millenium, and even xp, and now xbox and they all have some sort of major problem, i've never had any problems with nintendo or sony..
cause it's American. :lol:

Send it back. It will take like a week to return it i think last time i sent my cousins off I got it back in 7 days.

FRuMMaGe said:

vista isnt even finished. they basically released a beta and said it doesnt matter theyd update as bugs came up.

Basically the towel trick by getting the Xbox 360 to a very very high temp to get the chips to reset themselves.

It is a temporary fix (a few mins to a few days) that probably causes more problems that is solves in the long term of that unit.

dark samus said:
someone also suggested to put in the fridge,:wtf: but he's obviously a moron.:lol:

Apparently so. :lol:

Send it back. It'll be back in a week, 2 weeks max

Prepster said:
Apparently so. :lol:

Send it back. It'll be back in a week, 2 weeks max

are you crazy. takes a month minimum.

but yeah ive had mine since last christmas. so almost a year now. i got the red ring of death the day i opened it. however i turned my system off and back on and its worked fine ever since. it was beyond weird.

JCpackers05 said:
are you crazy. takes a month minimum.

but yeah ive had mine since last christmas. so almost a year now. i got the red ring of death the day i opened it. however i turned my system off and back on and its worked fine ever since. it was beyond weird.

3 red lights of doom...took me 1 months to get mine back

My cousins red lights of doom, they repaired, and sent it back to my house in 7 days.

Back