How to stop: SPAM/FLAMING ON FORUMS

mr_resi

AKA:Skarecrow
Dec 27, 2006
Stuck in the Magical Soda Machine
Wii Online Code
1491-5330-6997-9229
2nd thread in my how to stop series: How to stop spam on forums.

Well the real answer here may be just to appoint more moderators (i will give my sugesstions later), there are other ways we can prevent spam, off topic posting, and flamin/ranting without appointing to many more mods here we go:

1. Send an email to users that have not been active for more than 6 months that their account will be deleted if they do not return. Coding wise, this seems awfully simple and could be done by master programmers in a matter of minutes.

2.Make a 1 account per I/P rule (This is going to be debated i just know it)

3. Yes, of course, appoint more mods. My personal suggestions would be :Brawny, SSBB_lover, and not to toot my own horn but...

4. Get rid of the rep system. Lately rep level is just the number of times youve spam posted the words "give me rep'.

5. Better abuseive post reporting. IMO there should be a rule that if a post is reported abusive by 3 different people it should atoumaticly be deleted.

6.Increase punishment for spamming. IMO another three stikes your out rule should be applied here.

7.MAKE THE SEARCH BOX BIGGER!!Its not exactly to visible were it is. Im thinking aomwhere just above or below the wiichat logo.

8. Ban before they spam. If someone has a name like "Robrobrobrobpooo", email them saying a name change will be neccesary or they will ve banned.

9. if i need to say "IBTL" on a thread, it needs to be locked. No more stupid threads like "Ofiicial cillit bang discussion" (no offence lee)

And that IMO is how we can make less spam.

Lol now i just have to think aboot a topic for the next "how to stop" thread, i pwning lee and his "in lees opinoin" threads or w/e there called. I hope i0n reads this thread because IMO those are sum gooood ideas.

well this mostily should go to the pokenoobs..

GAH there is so many threads about battleing and rate my team!

Good thread actually. I think the biggest problem is the rep system.

Your one suggestion on emailing just because of their name is quite dumb IMO. There was one member on here called "fistpittingnork". Dumb name, right? He was actually a really smart, and law abiding member. Other than that, your other suggestions are good.

Can't wait for the next line in the series. :p

1. Send an email to users that have not been active for more than 6 months that their account will be deleted if they do not return. Coding wise, this seems awfully simple and could be done by master programmers in a matter of minutes.

Unless another user requests to have an account changed to said username that hasn't been used in six or so months I find this to be kind of pointless

2.Make a 1 account per I/P rule (This is going to be debated i just know it)

3. Yes, of course, appoint more mods. My personal suggestions would be :Brawny, SSBB_lover, and not to toot my own horn but...

Agreed

4. Get rid of the rep system. Lately rep level is just the number of times youve spam posted the words "give me rep'.

Usually rep is given to members who have helped out the most. Ie.. Brawny (general help throughout the forum however some may see it as a contest between Jill and Brawny), TLC ( moderation, great help), and those who post in the gfx section making sigs for others etc.

The only problem I see with rep is that some people believe its a contest to see who gets the most which is wrong..

I also don't think its the reason why theres spam on the forums.. No matter which forum you post on there will always be a few members out of line.

5. Better abuseive post reporting. IMO there should be a rule that if a post is reported abusive by 3 different people it should atoumaticly be deleted.

Reported posts are sent to the moderators who moderate that said forum.. also your idea wouldn't work otherwise I believe it would already be in place.

6.Increase punishment for spamming. IMO another three stikes your out rule should be applied here.

A ban is all that is needed if a member spams once. However if you notice a member spamming repeatedly even though he/she has been warned contact one of the super moderators and they will deal with the situation.
7.MAKE THE SEARCH BOX BIGGER!!Its not exactly to visible were it is. Im thinking aomwhere just above or below the wiichat logo.

8. Ban before they spam. If someone has a name like "Robrobrobrobpooo", email them saying a name change will be neccesary or they will ve banned.

Thats quite unfair. All because someone may have a username like that it doesn't mean their going to spam.

9. if i need to say "IBTL" on a thread, it needs to be locked. No more stupid threads like "Ofiicial cillit bang discussion" (no offence lee)

I see nothing wrong with Lee's threads. All he is doing is having some fun.. and why not? Also the Lounge is the place for threads like this. However if you still find it annoying I say we add a spam section for these types of threads.

Last edited:
Syntax: your missing my point, my pint is that people with random names liek that are usually created just to spam.

Ciper: No wii chats the best forum ive ever been on, it active yet its not newgrounds. Spam is starting to become a broblem however. Theese are just my suggestions to help them.

Last post for today, ill reply tommorow.

SEE YOU IN LUMBRIDGE!

Neg Rep thats so gay..

i mean yah it could help but you will have people use it the wrong way just to have fun and what not

DAm poke noobs

Syntax: your missing my point, my pint is that people with random names liek that are usually created just to spam.

All because a few people that have names like that spam it doesn't mean that everyone with a name similar to that will spam.. Also by having them go through a name change would be more work for i0n to contact these people with the username they would like changed it to. All in all its a bad idea in my opinion. Banning people because they have a long name like that or having them get a username change is pointless and a waste of time. Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh but theres no point.

Negative rep would help solve many problems.

Actually it would create more..With negative rep in place people would just give neg. rep to people they dislike and thus creating more arguments between people. For example if negative rep was in place when I used to post links to stickied threads in the pokemon d/p section I would have a grey bar just because they don't like me.

Battles said:
Neg Rep thats so gay..

i mean yah it could help but you will have people use it the wrong way just to have fun and what not

DAm poke noobs
So let them. It would force members to be more vigilant about where they post and what they say. The weighting of each vote wouldn't change from its current spec

but what if some Random willchat memebr gave everyone he saw Neg Rep just for no dam Reason?..

that right there makes no since..

Read my above post guys..

Negative rep wouldn't work here unfortunately.

Back