How to tell a Wii knockoff?

Grannie

WiiChat Member
Feb 26, 2011
Brisbane Australia
I have just bought a Wii console with Sports Resort and Motion plus for my grandson. I bought it on EBay (I know I shouldn't have).
I can't sync the wimote and Nintendo support say the Wii might be a Chinese knockoff.
Is there any way of detecting whether it is a genuine Wii - should the console be made in China or Japan?

it's a tough one to answer without much experience. check for nintendo's seal of quality on the box and the little nintendo sticker inside the wiimote. look up the serial number and check with nin to see if the SN is genuine.

also it can take several attempts to sync a wiimote. don't give up on the first try.

it's a tough one to answer without much experience. check for nintendo's seal of quality on the box and the little nintendo sticker inside the wiimote. look up the serial number and check with nin to see if the SN is genuine.

also it can take several attempts to sync a wiimote. don't give up on the first try.

I've tried syncing heaps of times plus with the Nintendo support guy, no go.

The wiimote doesn't have a nintendo sticker inside - it has the Nintendo part number and Chinese/Japanese writing. I have attached a photo.

The box didn't have a Nintendo quality sticker on.

The serial number is valid, but Nintendo say that doesn't mean it's genuine.

It looks like I've been sold a knockoff!

Attachments

• Wiimote.jpg
    Wiimote.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 250
ah see there could be a million reasons why it didn't work, and naturally i forgot it's summertime over there. make sure to fully test it out, and of course putting it online could open up a whole new bag of problems. have fun :)

Back