how to use component cables for 480p

d1verdwn

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2007
selecting the 480p under resolution is not easy but here is how to make it work:
1>connect your new component cable to wii
2> take the green and connect it to a standard yellow connector(as in av1 etc.)
on back of tv
3>go to the resolution selector under screen and although fuzzy and in black and white you can now select 480p and confirm
4> now connect your component cables to the component ports on the tv

voila you have impressive 480p

thank you very little Nintendo for making this clear in any of your manuals

Or you can plug in the component cables and plug it into the component inputs. The cables will still output in 480i so you can select 480p. Resolution =/= color.

Well technically you can use them on any EDTV (Enhanced Definition as 480p isn't really "high" yet)

They will make the picture a bit more saturated and sharp.

Edit: forgot to say that you need a TV with YPrPb inputs.

rear_panel_Component_Out.jpg
(Red Green and Blue)

Last edited:
reason for using green to yellow coonector

I would love to say, "just plug your component cable into the tv and change settings" but I tried this with two 1080p tv sets by plugging my GAMESTOP cables into the component jacks and was unable to select 480p settings and this is the workaround.

You will not be able to use the 480p(progressive scan) with a standard tv and have it look good all you will see is mostly black and white or 4 sets of black and white pictures all garbled on your screen. This is simply a way to get the menu to let you change from the 480i to the 480p so that you may then plug your component cables into the component jacks of the 480p compatible tv and get 480p resolution which is much brighter and crisper.

Back