(HVS related) Not holding my breath

Maximo

Wii Fanatic
Dec 31, 2006
Mckeesport,PA
Wii Online Code
0558-5461-4916-6731
Okay we all know how everyone is whining how Mature titles dont move as well on Wii as they do on the other platforms. Then you have HVS showing off all these good looking titles (Gladiator, Grinder, and Animals) yet none of these games have a publisher.

As much as i want to play these games when they are released is as much as i'm worried they may never see retail shelves.

Think if Conduit doesn't perform as well as everyone wants in retail do you really think publishers will want to bet again on HVS?

I think maybe HVS is tossing the proverbial bait into the lake a little too soon. I rather them line up a publisher then say "hey look at these great new games we got coming"

never thought of this til you brought it up. guess we have to just wait and see...

I just hope we dont have a Winter case all over again with these games especially Grinder ,and Animals.

If Nintendo was smart (which they have proved they aren't when it comes to business decisions) they would throw as much cash as possible at HVS and sign them on as a 2nd party developer. I can guarantee you if The Conduit doesn't sell well, some publisher will still take notice of the quality of this game. And they will tell them "Hey, stop pissing around on this Wii and come make this big PS3 exclusive" then it will be back to square one with the Nintendo Hardcore market.

If Nintendo was smart (which they have proved they aren't when it comes to business decisions) they would throw as much cash as possible at HVS and sign them on as a 2nd party developer. I can guarantee you if The Conduit doesn't sell well, some publisher will still take notice of the quality of this game. And they will tell them "Hey, stop pissing around on this Wii and come make this big PS3 exclusive" then it will be back to square one with the Nintendo Hardcore market.

How exactly are Nintendo not smart when it comes to business decisions? If they wasn't then they would have gone the same way as Sega but they are still producing consoles - in fact produced a console that is the market leader along the the leading handheld. They don't have the almost unlimited financial backing like Sony or Microsoft and they can't afford to throw money away like they do, so they must be doing something right with their business.

I doubt that HVS would jump ship to the PS3 as they could be wary of becoming the next Factor 5, while on the Wii they can be the next Rare (pre-Microsoft). I also doubt that they could afford to produce the kind of games that they want to on PS3 either (much higher development costs) and it has taken them 17 years to be able to break away from being under publishers rule. If they switched to PS3 then they would be facing publisher deadlines and be forced to push out unfinished products again. No serious artist wants that.

How exactly are Nintendo not smart when it comes to business decisions? If they wasn't then they would have gone the same way as Sega but they are still producing consoles - in fact produced a console that is the market leader along the the leading handheld. They don't have the almost unlimited financial backing like Sony or Microsoft and they can't afford to throw money away like they do, so they must be doing something right with their business.

I doubt that HVS would jump ship to the PS3 as they could be wary of becoming the next Factor 5, while on the Wii they can be the next Rare (pre-Microsoft). I also doubt that they could afford to produce the kind of games that they want to on PS3 either (much higher development costs) and it has taken them 17 years to be able to break away from being under publishers rule. If they switched to PS3 then they would be facing publisher deadlines and be forced to push out unfinished products again. No serious artist wants that.

Yeah good point...It's just I've seen too many good developers (i.e. Rare, Silicon Knights, etc.) jump ship because Nintendo decided to let them go. I didn't mean to insult their entire business sense. I just hope these next High Voltage Software games get a publisher. Who knows, maybe SEGA will come through for them again.

Yeah good point...It's just I've seen too many good developers (i.e. Rare, Silicon Knights, etc.) jump ship because Nintendo decided to let them go. I didn't mean to insult their entire business sense. I just hope these next High Voltage Software games get a publisher. Who knows, maybe SEGA will come through for them again.

All we can hope for is The Conduit selling well. If it does then I'm sure that Sega will jump at the chance of publishing more HVS games.

Letting Rare go was actually a smart decision though. They had already lost some of the talent that made them great so it made sense for Nintendo to cash in while they still could.

I think that HVS' current lineup is a bit too mature for Nintendo themselves or else they could sign them up to be another Retro. Then again they did publish Fatal Frame in Japan (but not in the west :() so I guess anything is possible.

Well heres the thing i agree with Dzapper to an extent.

Nintendo was smart in a business sense with what they did console wise. Skipping out on the huge hardware jump to make an input jump. Honestly i don't even think Nintendo had the cash to even do the hardware jump ,and the new input method was already in the works for cube anyhow so it was just more cost effective to capitalize on the input research they already invested in.

Though on the other hand Nintendo has been completely retarded on the software end of things. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo have been since i was 5 ,but its ticking me off the way they are handling wii software.

First off lets talk 1st party titles. Why is it Nintendo has suddenly seen it fit to announce a title only less than 6 months from release then release with it barely any advertising.

Now on developer side of things. I thought with as much work HVS did with Nintendo for the Conduit they would of been a 2nd party developer already. I mean Nintendo bought into Monolith for what? 1 Wii game which hasnt even been given a chance in the states. So all that money for what ,and has Monolith done on Wii since then? NOTHING.

Yet we got a developer thats pumping Wii titles out like crazy yet Nintendo has yet to invest in them. Just like Renegade Kid ,and all their DS titles. Another one would be Red Fly with Mushroom Men ,and their version of Ghostbusters. I mean come on all of these developers are passionate to make Nintendo games ,and lets face it Nintendo needs some western style games to be published by them.

As far as Rare goes i think Nintendo did make the right move although we lost the chance to play the classic Rare games on VC because of it ,but lets face it Rare hasnt really made a good ,and i mean good game since Conker...PDZ ,and Ghoulies were okay ,but not the same magic.

I think if Nintendo took HVS ,and maybe even the other 2 developers i mentioned ,and let them pump out "hardcore" Wii titles under their publishing name then the "core" games may start taking better notice of the Wii.

It's easy to talk when you don't have an idea what's going on behind the scenes. One could easily say, "Oh Nintendo should publish The Grinder and FTWiin PWN!!!"
But you need to remember that these are businesses much more goes into releasing a game than you think. Contracts, lawyers and business plans... but especially contracts.

To make things worse Maximo/Dzapper, Valve the creators of Half-Life and Portal wanted to be a 2nd party developer for the Wii. What happened?? I don't know unfortunately...

Caliko i know it takes a lot more to make a developer a 2nd party developer than just "boom your a 2nd party developer"

Give me a break im 25 not 15 i know how businesses work.

The point im making is Nintendo dumped who knows how much money into a company like Monolith to make games for Wii ,and what we get nothing except one game that Nintendo refuses to release in the states. Yet you got a company thats hell bent on bringing good quality games to the Wii thats constantly struggling for a publisher, and the games aren't mini-game collections ,or family friendly games. They're actually games that could help Nintendo over come their family-only appeal.

On a side note where did you hear that about Valve? I never heard that if anything i only heard for awhile that they didnt really have any ideas for the Wii.

Yeah I agree with you Maximo. If Nintendo can throw that much money at a dormant company like Monolith then I'm sure they can drop them and sign on a Hot company like High Voltage. But hopefully SEGA will stay interested and will continue to publish High Voltage games.

Last edited:
I tell you!!

I WILL SUPPORT EVERY HARDCORE GAME FOR Wii SPECIALLY FROM HVS!!

HVS consider me sold, I will buy all of your games, I promise it!!

Continue to promote the hardcore games on Wii and never stop!!

And finally will be beat the hardcore market on the xbox360/ps3 counterparts...

Yet you got a company thats hell bent on bringing good quality games to the Wii thats constantly struggling for a publisher,

I wouldn't say they're struggling for a publisher really. They said before that with The Conduit they avoided being tied to a publisher into very late in development so that they were free to take the game in the direction they wanted to. I don't think they'll have a problem finding publishers for their other games. It costs a whole lot of money to develop games and they wouldn't take that much of a financial risk if they thought it would be hard to find a publisher.

I wouldn't say they're struggling for a publisher really. They said before that with The Conduit they avoided being tied to a publisher into very late in development so that they were free to take the game in the direction they wanted to. I don't think they'll have a problem finding publishers for their other games. It costs a whole lot of money to develop games and they wouldn't take that much of a financial risk if they thought it would be hard to find a publisher.

Yeah you bring up a good point. I think HVS knew that somebody would publish The Conduit. And I'm sure someone will Publish Gladiator and The Grinder. I'm beginning to get more worried about how these games will fare with the ESRB. I just saw some screenshot of Galdiator A.D. (FULL DISMEMBERMENT!!!:thumbsup: ) if the ESRB was going to slap Manhunt 2 with an AO then I'm afraid to see what will happen with Gladiator A.D. I haven't seen any screens of The Grinder, but if it's anywhere near as violent as Gladiator A.D. then it could run into the same issue.

Skippy your missing my point.

My point is these games are useless to us without a publisher. No publisher no game on retail shelves. They dont need the publisher to develop the game as seen with the conduit they do just ,and better than they would with a publisher breathing down their neck.

Still though the publisher is a necessary evil right now to get the game on store shelves ,and without one it worries me that we're getting hyped for these great looking games way too early.

And stickmode...um what the hell...that was completely off the mark of what we are talking about. Did you just read HVS games ,and decide to gush your professed love for them.

Back