I am curious, with most of the popular emulators working on the Wii why use VC?

Its not very legal thow is it
You have still got to own the game you have the rom for
But Nintendo hates all roms

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over Nintendo missing out on a bit of money (they shouldn't be overcharging for VC games), but I don't bother with emulators as they're too much of a headache.

I googl'd it for verification. And yeah, you can.

But it's the same as running homebrew on a Gamecube. You need a special Action replay. And an SD card, but... Many of you have that. Most probably.

I've tried playing ROM on my computer... But... You don't get that "Buzz" when you play it on the actual console. The controls you grew up with are there to stay. You can't replace it with a keyboard.. Or a gamecube controller (And you can't emu gamecube games on the gamecube/Wii easily.)

MY opinion, people won't go out of the way to do this.

Think of the PSP. You don't really even need to pay anything. Sure you have to buy the GTA game... But you sell it right back when you're done with it for whatever you bought it for.

And are there enough users of that to bring the psp down? (more down than it already is... Poor PSP. But I want my dad's >>;; LUCKY FOOL!)

MY two cents, only a select amount of people will do this.

And one thing that Nintendo has over Gamecube...
Is that they can feed us firmware updates.

Fried Wii sandwich, anyone?

Edit: Youch, looked at the device you need to do this. Gonna cost ya 50 bucks. And you probably can't resell it on eBay!

Do you really want to play ROMs on your Wii/gamecube that baad.

And a quick eBay look for it... Well..
There aren't any.
So you'll be pony-ing that 50 bucks up.
Plus shipping, of course.

Look round the back(or front) of most newer tvs
PC imput
Emu on pc on the big screen

Or scout around on Ebay/Markets/carboots for older consoles

Before making individual replies I want to make one thing clear - Nintendo has never tried to block modified systems. If you read the root cause behind the Paper Mario problem you will find that the issue was the modchip disabling region checking on the game which had an update built in for those who DIDNT connect to the internet. People with an active internet connection didnt have a problem.

The new design of Wii (which I happen to own) was not to block mod chips. Most of the old chips still work if you install them with wires (instead of quick solder).

sagema: What do you say if I own the emulated games?

Digitalldj: There are hundreds of great games that will never be released for VC. A "buck or two" isnt accurate, at an average of 5-10$ each, 20 games would cost approximately 140$ (at 7 dollars each).....

Trulen: My reply to Digitaldj is also partially intended for you. Lets say 50$ is the cheapest softmod. That is still cheaper than 10 VC games!

VC games are definitely overpriced.
$5 for an 8-bit game?? gimme a break

NES games should be $1 (100 points)

SNES, Genesis, TurboGraphx $4

N64 either $6 or $8

Sure they would make less money per game, but at these prices, some people would snatch up every NES game they put out as well as many of the others. They would make more money on sheer volume alone and we all would be much happier

NjD00 said:

N64 either $6 or $8

Sure they would make less money per game, but at these prices, some people would snatch up every NES game they put out as well as many of the others. They would make more money on sheer volume alone and we all would be much happier

I know what you mean. As an example of how much we're being ripped off, it's about £5 odd for a Mega Drive game on VC. The Sega Mega Drive Collection for PS2 costs £20 (I got it for £15 in an offer :) ), and for that you get 27 games, plus extras. That's less than £1 per game! Can someone tell me why games on VC should cost £4 more than we know they can be released for? :mad5:

sagema said:
If you're buying a $250 gaming system to steal games, when you can do the same thing on a computer, I think you failed the IQ test. If you want to steal games, get a computer. Since it's invention people have stolen scores of PC games, and have barely ever been punished.

The difference is the Wii may add in a update that turns your Wii into a brick for stealing. Just like the 360 with XBL. So before you rush into... You know what. Go ahead. Stupid people. I give up trying to give logic to theives.

Lol well said...I'll never understand some of these people. And to answer the original poster maybe because I don't want to void my warranty and f*ck my Wii up? All that crap is not worth the trouble when I can use my own money and easily buy them off the Wii Shop Channel. Plus I don't know how illegal it is but I don't want to go to jail so I'll ovoid this stupid idea.

NjD00 said:

N64 either $6 or $8

I'm pretty sure Nintendo based their prices on the price of the typical used game from stores like gamestop, stores like gamestop/game crazy/EB Games/etc. usually charge $10~$17 for an N64 game cartridge, if the games on VC are overpriced, then the used games at gamestop and other game stores are overpriced, and I heard no complaint yet, if you aren't willing to pay $10 per game, sign up for something like gaming lagoon, if you don't want to do that, stop complaining

I know people like to find exploits and try to trick the Wii and do things of that sort to benefit themselves...

Now, I know nothing of modding or using exploits, but i'm fine with just buying games off VC...Its just business. You give Nintendo something, (Points), and they give you something back, (the product)..Thats business. No need into trying to trick Nintendo now, because sooner or later they'll crack down on this and fix it...I'm not exactly happy with this, but thats how it works...

Sometimes, I'd rather play Super Mario World on my SNES instead of my Wii...

I'm with you all on free games for everybody, but not like this...Not exploiting your way into free games...

gamechaser001 said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo based their prices on the price of the typical used game from stores like gamestop, stores like gamestop/game crazy/EB Games/etc. usually charge $10~$17 for an N64 game cartridge, if the games on VC are overpriced, then the used games at gamestop and other game stores are overpriced, and I heard no complaint yet, if you aren't willing to pay $10 per game, sign up for something like gaming lagoon, if you don't want to do that, stop complaining

$10-$17 for an N64 cartridge? What kind of GameStop/EB/Game Crazy is that? $10-$17...Even some PS2 games cost less...You can get an old Xbox game/PS2 game for around $10-$20... (Lets say, GTA: 3 for example, or an outdated sports game, like NBA 2k3)

But yes, what Nintendo should do is lower these prices. Its ridiculous, really. $10 for an N64 game?....If you go to a local GameStop/EBGames or w/e store you go to, you can buy an N64 game for $4...(You might as well start playing your N64 again!!!)...And an SNES game for 50 cents - $1 .....If they even sell those anymore

I think the main reason games are so costly is because if games cost like 100, everybody would buy a lot of games and it would take up all their channels and Wii's memory..Also, not everybody can go around saying "Ah, I just got done playing Mario 64 on my Wii."

GAH! SORRY for the double post. Its that, when I went to post my first reply, the guy above me didn't post yet, then after I posted it, I had something to say about his post, so, I had to quote it so he'd know who i'm talking to.

Last edited:
maybe i just don't mind giving my money to Nintendo but i don't feel like $5 is to much for great games like Castlevaina and i defitnely don't think games like star fox 64 and Zelda ocarina of time are worth less than $10... sometimes i think people forget Nintendo is a company trying to make money.

Belmont said:
maybe i just don't mind giving my money to Nintendo but i don't feel like $5 is to much for great games like Castlevaina and i defitnely don't think games like star fox 64 and Zelda ocarina of time are worth less than $10... sometimes i think people forget Nintendo is a company trying to make money.

Or rather Re-make money?...Sorry I had to say that. I do totally agree with you though. Some games may not be worth the prices they are sold for but you also have to take into account games like Paper Mario(if and when it is released) will only be 10$,I just sold my N64 cart with no box or manuals for $40. Some games are hard to come by these days and Nintendo is just trying to let people who never had these games/systems,had them and no longer do or just can"t find them anywhere for a reasonable price the chance to play them. I'm sure you guys complaining have no problem spending $3 on a 10 second ringtone or $5 or more for a crappy game that you might only play for 2 minutes for your cell phone though.

Back