I am curious, with most of the popular emulators working on the Wii why use VC?

lol its funny to watch you people overseas ***** about the price of VC games when its so cheap for you, over here its $18 for 1000 points, thats alot more than what ive heard you pay, be a real bloody gamer and support nintendo, without gamer support VC may get pulled and then there will be alotta angry angry gamers, dont **** it up for the rest of us,if you not gonna pay for your VC game then dont bloody play it!

conker

look man im probably #1 conker fan and i got wii and all but if bad fur day doesnt come out on vc then wii can kiss my asse im just gonna throw it inda bin and as for microsoft thanx alot u bought rare,u stupid idiots u wrecked it for all of us stupid microsoft

wow worst first post ever sorry but that has no relevance to this thread and it seems like you know Conkers bad fur day is not going to be on the VC its a Rare game so it will be on the 360 arcade.

Hm...the virtual console is more simple, this way you don't have to do any modding or burning and all that confusing crap. KIS, Keep It Simple.

I happened to check my hotmail (spam catcher) account and saw a message from this forum. I hadn't visited here for about 3 weeks as this thread was the "straw that broke the camels back"

My reply is directed at everyone but lasher702 because he is the only member on this forum that has lost my respect

Perception is not always reality. You may believe something with all your heart but it doesn't mean its true. A great example -
Users on various forums complained about the save data issue with Mario Kart on VC. Many believed a patch was coming. In the end Nintendo's final statement is "Due to unavoidable technical reasons unfortunately it is not possible to save ghost data"
In other words no patch is coming and everyone that was completely polarized on the issue fell quiet.

It should be noted that the legality of modifying the console and making backups varies greatly depending on your country of residence.

Rather than argue how evil someone is for chipping their console Ill give specific examples
Here is an unbiased article from a reputable news source regarding the issue http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/07/28/copying_is_theft_and_other/

One great quote "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, it is not an infringement of the copyright, even if the copyright holder does not want you to do so." Meaning I could have a class called "how to win at Mario Party 8" and make 20 copies of the game to play without fear of punishment even in the US.

In 2005 the highest court in Australia determined that it is completely legal to sell/purchase/install modchips. This is now mostly encouraged to allow import of games from other regions rather than piracy. Don't take my word for it though - http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051005224033402

Even in the US which has some of the strongest laws there has zero action against producers/resellers of chips that do not contain copyrighted code. Meaning the chip has to have either no "software" installed or completely new code. For example, Xbox modchips or bios rewrites by the Xbox linux project are completely legal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_(computing) even though many argue that this steals money from Microsoft since the Xbox was sold at a loss with the expectation of future software sales.

One last thing I HAVE to clear up. The guys developing the drivers, designing the controllers and writing the games you love are the worst offenders of all. There may be exceptions but they always have the newest consoles when or before they are released. They are the best source for Mame DVDs containing gigs of arcade games. They have enough intelligence to stay under the rader of IT and create their own mp3 servers with terabytes of files. I thought it was ironic that a guy working on PS3 localization at Sony had a Wii in his cube connected to a KVM so he could play during work.....

But whatever - arguing on the internet is a waste of time right? Emotion is often lost in text and I doubt I will change any of your minds. All I can expect is that your mind is open and you take a moment to think before flaming

ciper said:
One great quote "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, it is not an infringement of the copyright, even if the copyright holder does not want you to do so." Meaning I could have a class called "how to win at Mario Party 8" and make 20 copies of the game to play without fear of punishment even in the US.

yeah you could make those 20 copies but they could only be used for classroom use so they could not keep them after the class if they did that would be illegal. so i guess your argument contradicts its self. im not trying to be a jerk but if you did that you know you would be sued and you would lose. Even if it is our right to do so. and what does it matter if its legal or not we just want Nintendo to go oh look no one is buying games like we thought they would we better stop wasting money on the VC because I for one love it and don't mind giving a few dollars every month or so to buy the games i love

sagema said:
If you're buying a $250 gaming system to steal games, when you can do the same thing on a computer, I think you failed the IQ test. If you want to steal games, get a computer. Since it's invention people have stolen scores of PC games, and have barely ever been punished.

The difference is the Wii may add in a update that turns your Wii into a brick for stealing. Just like the 360 with XBL. So before you rush into... You know what. Go ahead. Stupid people. I give up trying to give logic to theives.

After reading most of this thread (started getting yawny towards the end)
Sagema is the only person to hit the nail right on the head.
I have every emulator from Zx spectrum to Neo Geo on my pc (including N64 with all mario games)

Why pay £5.00 when it's free? You're all MAD. :crazy: (except those who don't have a PC, then that's not really your fault :scared: )
This is the beauty of the internet, look hard enough and generally it's free!
Tv shows, Movies, Discount codes, Games, Pr0n. Why should I pay?

Yeah I should own the roms, Nintendo ain't gonna fold because of me, and if anyone in here thinks a company builds a system hoping to make money on VC only then you really are all Nuts.
Some how I can't see the secret service bashing my door down anytime soon.

we that pay $5 don't mind paying it because first off that is not alot of money for anyone. i don't know i mean i could steal the games but i would just rather buy them from a company because i know if it was my creation i would want people to buy it not steal it... but thats not me i will continue to buy games and you guys can continue stealing them.

Belmont said:
we that pay $5 don't mind paying it because first off that is not alot of money for anyone. i don't know i mean i could steal the games but i would just rather buy them from a company because i know if it was my creation i would want people to buy it not steal it... but thats not me i will continue to buy games and you guys can continue stealing them.

Ahhh, but I'm not stealing. :wink:

Picture a computer shop, I walk in, pick up a game of the shelf, walk out with it, take it home, play it, then take it back to the shop and put it back on the shelf. :ciappa:

Not techinally "stealing" as the game remains in the same place for someone else to do the same. :yesnod:

I'm glad they're people like yourself who are willing to be ripp... sorry pay for these 8 bit wonders as then people like me can keep not paying for them. You see being an mid/old fart, I paid my dues by paying full price for these games when they originally came out, so I've already paid my dues to Nintendo :cool:

One question I have is, before the Wii and VC, didn't anyone in here have an emulator or a PC?. :wtf:

Some people are making VC sound like the second coming.:shocked:

Last edited:
oh i had all types of emulators i pretty much every Nintendo game but once i read about the VC i deleted them because before Nintendo was no longer making money one them so i didn't feel bad playing them cause it was not like i could go out and buy them. Now that i have a way to purchase them and Nintendo can make money off them again then i don't mind buying them... but thats just me i don't mind giving money for something i love... i don't steal music because as a musician myself i know that if i was in a position to have my CD's on the market i would not want people to steal them

Belmont said:
oh i had all types of emulators i pretty much every Nintendo game but once i read about the VC i deleted them because before Nintendo was no longer making money one them so i didn't feel bad playing them cause it was not like i could go out and buy them. Now that i have a way to purchase them and Nintendo can make money off them again then i don't mind buying them... but thats just me i don't mind giving money for something i love... i don't steal music because as a musician myself i know that if i was in a position to have my CD's on the market i would not want people to steal them

Wow, the world needs more people like you.:yesnod:
All I can say, despite disagreeing completely, is good on you.:wink:

WOW, cool thread. Just wanted to add in my two cents...

Personally I think Virtual Console games is overpriced but if Nintendo were to charge less for Virtual Console games do you really think we would see the likes of none Nintedo systems on the Virtual Console (NEO-GEO)? What they having going now is good in way, but they should have made prices vary according to game and not system.

A good example would be; SNES games should be between $5-10 (5 being not very popular/easy to find tiltes and 10 being the for exotic/rare titles specifically Squaresoft titles) and N64 titles $10-12 (why you asked? Cause the N64 wasn't really popular and there aern't my compilations except for those maybe found on the Gamecube)...

That way, classic companies such a Square-Enix (formerly Sqauresoft) wouldn't be put off by the pricing scheme and would release timeless classic such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy series (which by the way is offered as a compilation on many other platforms) and perhaps we may even see legendary gaming systems such as Panasonic's 3DO and Atari's Jaguar on the Virtual Console in the near future...

But if they were to make Virtual Console titles cheaper than they are now, I don't think we will being seeing new systems not to mention new titles for the Virtual Console. Then it's back to oh you guess it, 'Homebrew'...

.......................................................................................

Last edited:
Nemix said:
WOW, cool thread. Just wanted to add in my two cents...

Personally I think Virtual Console games is overpriced but if Nintendo were to charge less for Virtual Console games do you really think we would see the likes of none Nintedo systems on the Virtual Console (NEO-GEO)? What they having going now is good in way, but they should have made prices vary according to game and not system.

A good example would be; SNES games should be between $5-10 (5 being not very popular/easy to find tiltes and 10 being the for exotic/rare titles specifically Squaresoft titles) and N64 titles $10-12 (why you asked? Cause the N64 wasn't really popular and there aern't my compilations except for those maybe found on the Gamecube)...

That way, classic companies such a Square-Enix (formerly Sqauresoft) wouldn't be put off by the pricing scheme and would release timeless classic such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy series (which by the way is offered as a compilation on many other platforms) and perhaps we may even see legendary gaming systems such as Panasonic's 3DO and Atari's Jaguar on the Virtual Console in the near future...

But if they were to make Virtual Console titles cheaper than they are now, I don't think we will being seeing new systems no to mention new titles for the Virtual Console. Then it's back to oh you guess it, 'Homebrew'...

.......................................................................................

$10 for a SNES game? The 3DO and Jaguar were "legendary"? What are you smoking? :crazy:

Back