I cannot get Wii to connect to wireless internet

herewego

WiiChat Member
Aug 24, 2012
Minnesota
I am posting a new thread for fear of "hi jacking" someone elses. :ee5k:

We took the Wii to Grandpa's house. He has wireless internet. The iPods connect fine, the laptops connect fine. We can find the access point on the Wii and try to connect, but the test fails and it does not allow us to connect. The Wii is less than 10 feet from the computer router/modem whatever.

I have found conflicting information regarding the next steps. I have NO idea how to get into the wireless router (or modem ... or whatever?) to set up a MAC address of the Wii? I have NO idea what to do so I am starting anew and asking here. Can someone tell me what information I need to give so that they can tell me how to connect the Wii to the internet?

We do not have wireless at our house so we have never connected the Wii to the internet before.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What is the brand of Grandpa's router and modem? Is the internet connection "encrypted" (when attempting to connect to it wirelessly with the Wii, it'l ask for a sort of password, namely a "WEP Key")?

The brand is Medialink is the router. Motorola is something from the internet provider too, is that the modem? um... feel dumb here.....
It did ask for a password on the Wii and we used the same password we use to connect to the iPods (which work).
thanks

I would suggest trying a prayer or some type of ritual sacrifice, but that has never been proven to work on Motorola devices...

Have you tried resetting the Motorola unit? Sometimes this will resolve a conflict with ports on the unit.

We are in the country and only found grandpa's connection. It did the test run and said it could not connect and gave us an error code of 51130 i think it said.
We did try to set reset it (Motorola - that is the modem, right?), we tried power cycling, etc

Last edited:
Error Code: 51130
[h=3]Specific Error Code Not Found - General Troubleshooting[/h]
  • Try adjusting the "Channel" your wireless router broadcasts on. We highly recommend setting your wireless router to either channel 1 or 11. This can potentially increase the download speed. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router (if available).
  • Check your router's broadcast settings to find out if it is set to "G", "B", or "Mixed." Mixed typically works best, but try all three to see if it improves the network connection to the Wii console.
  • Make sure that any other interfering devices, such as microwaves and cordless phones, are turned off. Wireless keyboards and mice may also cause interference.
If you are still receiving this error code, please click here for assistance.

Courtesy of:http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=51130&system=Wii&locale=en_US&action2.x=15&action2.y=16

Last edited:
ok, so Motorola is the router? What is that Medialink thingy then?
Motorola says SB5101N.
It's not even on the list mentioned above :(

how do we "get in" to the router to figure out what the settings are at? broadcasts setting?

B2B_Product_SB5101_MD_US-EN.jpg
Does it look like this?

Last edited:
ok, i'm getting so confused. I just looked at the Medialink thing again and it says wireless router.

so what is this motorola?

soo sorry.. thank you for your patience... grandpa wants to call the technical support at the internet company and I told him no, don't do that. they will charge you to come out here and who knows if they could even fix it!

That is what the Motorola looks like (except the pc/activity green light on the bottom is blinking and then solid green from time to time --- right now)

i dont know how to delete that double post. HA! sorry

1) HUGE props to xplosive for being such a good team player!

2) If you have skype, you should connect that way with xplo - "seeing" is believing when it comes to effective modem diagnostics...

Now I can't even get to page 2 on my own question. If you guys are frustrated, imagine us sitting on this side! haha it's so frustrating!

Back