I dont understand component cables

2Wiitarded

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2006
Wii Online Code
7725-7615-5006-8472
First of all I'm new to these kind of cables and Im not that great with technology. I know what AV cables are and have been using those for ages. I recently picked up a nintendo wii with some component cables and I want a good picture on it with my HDTV 32' tv. So heres the part I don't understand. When I go to screen resolution I have a choice between 480i and 480p so Im guessing I go with 480p which is hdtv, but it splits my tv screen in half. Therefore I have to stay with 480i. Im I doing something wrong? I cant tell the difference between av cables and component cables. I think I'm doomed with all this new technology. :sad:

Well I don't have a HDTV so I have no real idea about what could be causing your problem. Try reconnecting everything or using another HD source (xbox360, SkyHD etc) to determine if its the TV or the Wii itself.

In relation to your guessing that 480p is HD you were semi-correct (480p is not technically HDTV but actually EDTV.The reason being that the p stands for progressive scan which means every line of the picture is drawn out in order (1,2,4,5,6,6,7,8,9,10 drawn in 1 refresh of the screen)
The i stands for Interlaced scan which means every second line is drawn then the missing lines are drawn (1,3,5,7,9 drawn then lines 2,4,6,8,10 are drawn)
As a result Progressive scan offers better picture quality than interlaced because using interlaced scan causes details to 'twitter' so anti aliasing is used to smooth the picture and this comes at the cost of the resolution and thus, quality.

Well the funny part is when I put it on 480p it splits the screen in half. Heres a picture on the message below.

This also happens when I enable progressive scan on my dvd player. Is my tv unable to do this sort of resolution? thanks for the repley.

my TV would do that once in a while and all I had to do was turn the source off (cable box, Wii, DVD player) and then back on and it was ok. Give that a try.

2Wiitarded said:
Is my tv unable to do this sort of resolution? thanks for the repley.

If its a HDTV then it will be able to do 480p, most HDTVs can do up to 720p/1080i and the high end ones can manage 1080p. I'm pretty sure thats not the problem.
If your DVD does that too then it must be something to do with the TV or the connection itself. You could try phoning the support line of the TV manufacturer.

Yeah no such luck turning it off and on. The manual says its capable of 480p I guess it could be the tv. Guess Ill give them a call. thanks for the help

Interesting. I have an LCD TV running at 480p and it was fine ...the only thing I can think would be that it's hooked up incorrectly; ie. you have confused the 'red' audio with the 'red' video, but I'm sure you've checked that.

Good luck with it anyways.

Ok so I took your advice and I called the company. They said that the sony dvd player was faulty and I should call them first before I call them. Even though I told him like 10 times that my dvd player and nintendo wii work fine on other hdtv except this one. This guy was really pissing me off.

Ahh, I should have read more carefully. If your wii is working fine on other TV's then it'd have to be the TV you're having problems with. You don't have any settings you might have overlooked? I know my LCD has several different viewing modes (4x3,16x9, and zoom/stretch modes etc.). Maybe one of those is messing with the signal. Good luck!

I know for a fact its the damn tv. My component cables that run from the tv to the dvd player work perferct, but when I enable progressive scan it splits the screen into 2 just like the wii did. The funny part was the guy said my sony dvd player was to blame. So I called sony and they said it was the tv. I even told the guy it worked perfect on other tv's, but he just kept saying is was the dvd players fault.

I don’t know if this helps but i get the same results when i switch mine over to that resolution on my non HDTV. Are you sure its really an HDTV? Not trying to belittle you just trying to help

^^I was going to ask the same thing^^

My TV has a component wire input, but the TV is not HD.

Back