i need help :-(

sgllocal

Banned
Jan 6, 2007
Bristol, UK
ok here goes

i have finally got delivery of the lan adapter. im on aol bband. but ive just noticed tht the aol bband modem dont have a ethernet slot on back. it has a hole yeh but the lan adapter is too big. so what do i do now? what do i have to get to use my wii online? i thought id only need the lan adapter but obviously not. so does anyone know what i can do or what i have to buy. do i have to buy a router? if so what one? i need links plse guys this is doing my head in.

I'm in America and have never used AOL but...if your modem has no ethernet jacks at all,it's not broadband. How do you even connect it to your PC?

hi sorry yeh i got it worng. it has ethernet. but the plug is smaller than the ethernet cable tht came with wii adapter. it wont fit into my modoem lol. so im guessing i need more stuff

I am pretty sure all standard ethernet connectors are RJ45. The ones that look like them but are smaller are RJ11 and are usually used for phones.

As tanooki said "How do you even connect it to your PC?"

DUrf a durfa. He probably has to use usb to connect it to his pc.

yes ur spot on. its a rj11 cable going into my modem from [phone and modem connects to pc via usb. and i have ethernet cble that must be rj45.therefore its 2 dif sizes right? so what do you guys suggest? shall i get a router yeh?

tanooki said:
I'm in America and have never used AOL but...if your modem has no ethernet jacks at all,it's not broadband. How do you even connect it to your PC?

thats not entirely true...

you dont need ethernet connection to have broadband, you can get simple usb broadband 'modems', satellite connection, Radio connection (wireless internet, not wifi), and also RJ45 cable, standard phone line, not ethernet cabling....

sorry just realised i didnt actually answer anything question wise..

by the sounds of it your modem is just that. a modem. not a router, which is what you are going to need if you are to plug in the ethernet cable into (so the wii lan adapter goes into the wii, the ethernet cable goes into that on one end, other end would need to be plugged into an ethernet port on the router)

i have heard people using AOL sometimes not being able to use certain routers, you can check on their site which ones are compatible, then head over to ebay for a decent preiced one of the those.

you may want to go for a dsl router (so it acts as the modem, and the router to share the connection)

hope that helps if not shout back

yeh thats it mate ive had a gander over at aol and seen some. then went on ebay and found a cple so will go from there and get a router

thanks for the help guys thats all i needed to know lol

Back