i think i burnt my wi fi out playing cod

bmw328

WiiChat Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wifi stopped working on my wi, sometimes if finds 6 access points 2 of which are mine and it connects no problem. Other days when it wont connect i search for access point and it finds none.

Somedays it connects for 5 secs, some days 5 mins or 5 hours i just never know how long its gonna last.

This is after about 6 months of playing call of duty on line every day for hours at a time.

I took the wii to bits with the help of a youtube video and found the wifi chip but on top of it was this grey putty stuff which looked like it had melted???? When i put it back to gether it worked fine for a few days then it went back to if and when it wanted.

Next i tried setting up a static ip address on my router and that worked for a few days then back to normal crap.

Now its hit and miss if i can play on line or not.......:scared:

Is my wifi cooked? Its deffo not my router cos i got 2 laptops, pc, nintendo ds and a psp all working off it. Av tried just the wii and nothing else but it dont solve the prob.

Has this happened to anybody else?

my wifi doesnt work when someone is on the phone. Check if someone is using something that sends out a signal like a wireless phone.

al give it a go but am sure wii is broke but its modded so can't really do anything about it. Its not a year old yet.

It did work with 2 laptops and my g1 phone connected to router at same time so can't see any reason y it would stop working, wonder if new nextdoor neighbours are to blame somehow?

al give it a go but am sure wii is broke but its modded so can't really do anything about it. Its not a year old yet.

It did work with 2 laptops and my g1 phone connected to router at same time so can't see any reason y it would stop working, wonder if new nextdoor neighbours are to blame somehow?

there is a possibility anything sending out a signal in the way of the router could block the routers signal

i its deffo a problem with the wii, it wont find any access points, it used to find 5-6 round my house.

Thing is, is it the wifi chip with i have took out today and it looks ok??? or is it the board it sits on???

Gutted i only use it to play COD on line, now itw worthless :mad5:

maybe time for xbox?

anyone else got this problem?

Double check your wifi settings on your wii. Also, double check to make sure its not your wireless network thats the problem.

Double check your wifi settings on your wii. Also, double check to make sure its not your wireless network thats the problem.

Right av just tried again, made a new connection then searched for access point and none found, it used to fine 4-5 from the position its in now. Am gonna try a wired connection today if I can get an adaptor.

Have not been on cod for weeks now. : -(

it was deffo the wii, i took it to bits and put it back together for a second time and its working great now, for how long i dont know. My wired connection arrived and works fine so at least i have back up.

Heads up. That grey stuff "that looks melted" is thermal compound. It's supposed to be there. If you removed whatever was ontop (I don't know what the inside of the Wii looks like), then you need to remove and replace the compound. The compound needs to have no airpockets in it and between the two things it sits between. Even really tiny ones will cause uneven heat transference which will cause hot and cold areas and burn out the chip.

Even if it's working "now", since you messed with the compound, you need to go buy some "silver paste", clean off the old paste on both parts (wipe off with a paper towel and then clean off with isopropyl alcohol on another paper towel until you don't see any paste residue), then apply a paper-thin layer to the chip and put everything back together. IF YOU LIFT UP once you've put the two pieces together you need to start all over!!

Also, there are lots of this which can interfere with WiFi. It's simply a radio signal. Most frequent issue is someone elses WiFi. You mentioned seeing 5-6 other routers, which means that everyone's signal is broadcasting over each other. What you should do is change the channel on your router and match it with your devices. Not sure what router you have, but it's in your web-based interface and in the properties of your WiFi network card. The Wii will change automatically based on the SSID you use.

As mentioned, cordless phones can also interfere. Especially cheap ones. Those tend to use both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz frequencies.

My first guess is that someone within 300 feet just bought a new WiFi router and either it's Wireless-N or a "speedboost" G. Both of those ramps up the radio power and can drown out other routers.

Back