Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I think I'd rather have a DS than my Wii... wanna know why?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by southpark2033, Jan 18, 2007.

1. southpark2033

southpark2033 WiiChat Member

My first game system was the big ol' grey brick Gameboy with Zelda: Link's Awakening included...

Then I got Gameboy Pocket - and gathered up Tetris, Joust/Defender, Mario and the 8 coins (something like that), Star Trek: TNG, Jurrassic Park, Pokemon Red, and Donkey Kong

Then came Gameboy Color and along with it a new Mario Game, and Pokemon Silver, among other things like Zeda: Oracle of Seasons.

BUt my life CHANGED when I got Gameboy Advance: It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY! Rayman was amazing. Then I got THPS. Then GOLDEN SUN canged my life. Metroid Fusion kept me up for days.

Gameboy has always been by my side since it's spinach green screen came before my eyes.

I've owned Playstation, Playstation 2, SNES, N64, Gamecube, 360, and either returned or sold them all, either to gamestop (remember funcoland?) or on eBay (more recently).

So yes I beat Twilight princess, and just today I bought Red Steel. I will tell you right now Oracle of Seasons and Link's Awakening are truly the best Zelda's in my eyes, and TP didn't come CLOSE to the amazing depth of Oracle of seasons: I MEAN YOU COULD CHANGE THE FRIGGIN SEASONS!

I remember going to the playground and sitting on the jungle gym and playing gameboy or in the car on road trips, or ont he airplane on trips to Europe. I remember showing Gameboy Color to kids in Poland. The truth is that console gaming does not satisfy me, nor will it ever. Theres just something magical bout being hunched over a tiny screen, reading text as it beeps and boops, and moving in only 4 directions.

I have and always will be a handheld gamer. I look at the display DS in Walmart and want one SO BAD. I think, that after some careful consideration, I might just sell my Wii, pocket some money, and go out and do the right thing: Buy a DS.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with the Gameboy?

#1 southpark2033, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Kryptenx

Kryptenx WiiChat Member

If you like the DS better, buy it. Not much use in asking our opinions to determine what you do.

3. christicehurst

christicehurst Gaming Legend

Wii Friend Code: 2188-6506-5465-4428
    2188-6506-5465-4428
    So why are you telling us this you tool.

4. +Maniacal=Maniac+

+Maniacal=Maniac+ Am I Losing Friends?

Wii Friend Code: 4516-7863-9846-6018
    4516-7863-9846-6018
    Go For It! It's Your Own Opinion!

5. southpark2033

Well I was trying to see if anyone had similar experiences with disliking consoles - please dont call me a tool b/c of that.

6. christicehurst

christicehurst Gaming Legend

Wii Friend Code: 2188-6506-5465-4428
    2188-6506-5465-4428
    I do like my handhelds but it's like listening to the ipod all the time. You get sick of looking into a tiny screen. Nothing beats a good single player console game out of the big tv screen.

7. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

i disliked the wii, needed more hardcore games and didnt like controls (bought GC for RE, ive had a past of the more intense crazy games)

8. A RAND0M TAC0

A RAND0M TAC0 Like A Stone

Wii Friend Code: 0882-4030-9133-6768
    0882-4030-9133-6768
    yeah i was like you a few years ago, with my GBASP fire emblem and golden sun were the best, i liked those better than my console rpgs

9. southpark2033

True Dat! Golden Sun was the shiZ! I remember getting the Gaia Sword I was so H A P P Y!

10. 2Nubian

2Nubian Advanced Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 4286-5777-6206-6320
    4286-5777-6206-6320
    I concur. I have the ds and the wii and both are cool in thier own way. I haven't beaten tp but I think that every zelda that has come out has it's own advancements. If I were you, I save up and get a ds because nintendo will link the two somehow and trust I when I say it will most likely be off da chain. Just my .02

11. dedpoet777

dedpoet777 \/\/ii'd Out For Life

Wii Friend Code: 0792-2476-6769-9631
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    i got my wii on release date. i played the fk out of it at first and i still play it a fair amount. but after i beat zelda im waiting on other titles to play. so i got a ds around christmas time, thanks to my girl for getting me one. and i absolutely love it. i hadnt had a hand held console since the first gameboy. i must say ive played it a lot since i got it, more than the wii lately even. but if i were you id keep the wii and wait and buy a ds when you can. but that is me. i love my wii too much to get rid of it. however, you couldnt pry that ds away from me either.

12. 3mpathy

3mpathy WiiChat Member

Can someone tell me wether or not i like cheese?

13. surfinrach90

surfinrach90 I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.

I was sorta the same.. well.. I never had a 64 or the GC and was never interested in them either, yet I had the GB, GBA then the DS.. the wii is actually the first console I ever owned that I actually wanted, apart from that I had a ps, but that was a surprise x-mas present

14. Tri

Tri has the power

You love cheese, you think it's delicious!

Anyway... the only handheld gaming system I've ever had was the Sega GameGear. I must say I had a lot of fun playing that thing... but it was never as popular as the Gameboy was. I find myself now days playing Bejeweled on my Cell Phone when I have nothing better to do, or when I'm waiting for someone.... I've tried the DS out in the store and I could see getting addicted to it.

I'm addicted to too many games as it is... I'm not going to get myself back into handhelds if I can help it.

ps - anyone want to buy my GameGear? lol... didn't think so.

15. Kingsland

Kingsland WiiChat Member

you do, everybody likes cheese. Besides you should just get a wii and a DS. DS's must b like...£70 or something. ive got one but i never play it...just a lack of really good games on it, its ust stuff like animal crossing and nintendogs... at least the wii has stuf like red steel and some sick racing games.:cornut:

16. mk_south_london

mk_south_london !SUPERMOD! *blu mushroom*

Wii Friend Code: 7195-7874-4951-1917
    7195-7874-4951-1917
    u may be able 2 change the seasons on your zelda oracle of something but try changing into a wolf???

All games are different...come 2 understand that

17. Happy

Happy Dobedobebo

Wii Friend Code: 0710-2343-2773-8881
    0710-2343-2773-8881
    I have both, but I use my wii around 85% and my ds around 15%

18. Deathmetalmaster

Deathmetalmaster WiiChat Member

I will tell you why you should not sell your wii and just SAVE SOME MONEY for the DS.

When pokemon diamond and pearl come out for DS, EVERYONE is gonna be playing it. So play it with your DS and then battle people online with battle revolution. If that prospect does not entice you (or if you just arent a pokemon fan) I dont know what will

19. Redan499

Redan499 Banned

Wii Friend Code: 0213-2291-6794-7610
    0213-2291-6794-7610
    Personal opinion plays a huge role here, but i gotta agree with you. Whenever i first bought my Arctic White GBA i was hooked. My N64 just sat there while i poured hours upon hours into Golden Sun 1 & 2 and Breath of Fire. I mainly was a Handheld gamer until i bought a GCN, then Tales of Symphonia took over my TV screen. Now since i have a Wii and DS, I really havent touched either one since i beat TP. Mostly ive been spending quality game time with my PC. But once i pick up FF3 i think that all might change.

20. kenn

kenn WiiChat Member

I've recently purchased a DS -- and a second one -- for my other family members to play. The gamecube has pretty much sat idle as everyone plays on the pair of DS lites. I'd say you should sell your Wii on Ebay and you'll most certainly get more than you paid for it if you have the manuals and original boxes and can pack it up like it came new. From that, buy yourself a DS lite and pick up some of the better titles and wait until the Wii is widely available and you can repurchase it cheaper. The one cool thing is, like you said, you can play anywhere and there are some damn fun games on the DS. (not to mention you can play all of the GBA games on it as well.

One thing I would tell you, though, is that the DS lite is somewhat awkward to hold. I got sore hands/wrists pretty quick so I purchased one of those cases that has the swing-away hand grips that makes it feel more like a console controller. I can play a couple of hours with no issues now but keep in mind that it makes it kind of bulky with the added handles. There is also a set of grips that mount underneath that also include a battery which look like they would serve the same comfort purpose but also purport to add 8 additional hours of battery life...

Also, the whole wi-fi things adds something cool (which i'm sure the wii will get going at some point). There are quite a few games that will go head to head local or wi-fi which really adds some depth...