IBM email (wii processor, etc)

fiveryanfrenzy said:
cyn·ic (sĭn'ĭk) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
2. A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

NOTE: The email was not sent to all employees.

ig·no·rant
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

That email cost money. Companies and corporations are always looking at their net profit. Every action represents a risk vs profit scenario. They aren't going to do something (even as simple as witting an email) if it's not going to profit them.

Its called being logical, not cynical.

Blips said:
ig·no·rant
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

this goes well with my choice definition too, thanks for the help!

can anyone else think of other words that might describe this fellows argument?

Last edited:
My argument isn't what you've quoted. The fact that you are attacking me personally and not my argument shows how IGNORANT you are.

cool down, guys...We all love wii right? So it is OK it has more or less computing power or can or cannot run financial software. Let's talk about fun :)

Blips said:
My argument isn't what you've quoted. The fact that you are attacking me personally and not my argument shows how IGNORANT you are.

aw, sorry I hurt your feelings! :sad:

duancg said:
cool down, guys...We all love wii right? So it is OK it has more or less computing power or can or cannot run financial software. Let's talk about fun :)

good call.

In conclusion, the wii has a nice graphics processor but it's not more powerful than a blender.

:lol:

fiveryanfrenzy said:
Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks.

NOTE: 'computing power'

While a car has more power than a blender, it still can't chop food.

Just as these processors may not be designed for financial software, they still have more power.

IBM designs, developes and produces a range of processors for many purposes and have for some time, I have a feeling that they know what they are talking about.

You really should have just gave up on this. I'm glad you would trust a corporate morale e-mail over people who have college degrees in related fields. That alone shows intelligence(sarcasm).

And no, arguing that a wii has more computing power than a COMPUTER, is just extraordinarily dumb. The average PC nowadays has more CPU processing, and Windows XP requires more graphics processing. And we know the specs for the Wii's processor, as had been shown in this thread. And it in no way shape or form has "more power."

That email cost money. Companies and corporations are always looking at their net profit. Every action represents a risk vs profit scenario. They aren't going to do something (even as simple as witting an email) if it's not going to profit them.

Its called being logical, not cynical.

This pretty much supports blips ignorant comment. Do you have any idea how little it costs to write an email and forward it out to every employee in the database? Virtually nothing, seeing as how whoever actually wrote it was on the clock anyways. And no, that is very much so being logical, by definition even.

Last edited:
fiveryanfrenzy said:
NOTE: The email was not sent to all employees,
Correcto! :thumbsup:

Not taking any sides but I think some of you are forgetting that we here are not the 'average consumer'. Most PCs I work on (not at work, I fix computers in my spare time) have less computing power than the current game systems.

Last edited:
Lets just say whoever wrote that e-mail shouldn't be working at IBM in the first place, because his/her stupidity was showing in that e-mail. I'm sure the IBM computer engineers and others in the computer area of IBM were laughing at that e-mail.

vagrant said:
You clearly don't know the specs for the wii.

Just because a Processor has a slower clock speed doesn't make it "slower". Different CPU architectures have different efficiency in terms of output and clock speed. An example would be the Intel P4's Vs the AMD64. The AMD64s ran at a slower clock speed (almost by half sometimes) and still out performed the Intel P4. Mac's used to use IBM processes because they where very efficient in terms of clock speed to output.

The only thing that consoles excel in would be parallel processing power, which is what graphic cards use. It depends on how its looked at I guess, but in terms of being multifunctional, it doesn't beat the PC.

"Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks."

They're not specifically saying that the Wii has more computing power...

I believe they were getting at the point that the technology between ALL THREE machines (PS3, 360, Wii) in general surpass the PC's computing power.

Also think about the average consumer's PC specs. Most people that have PC's ARE NOT hardcore gamers, and therefore don't have the most powerful PC's. I'd say that the average consumer has a computer good enough to surf the web, check email, edit pictures etc.

Last edited:
Capt Elmer said:
Just because a Processor has a slower clock speed doesn't make it "slower". Different CPU architectures have different efficiency in terms of output and clock speed. An example would be the Intel P4's Vs the AMD64. The AMD64s ran at a slower clock speed (almost by half sometimes) and still out performed the Intel P4. Mac's used to use IBM processes because they where very efficient in terms of clock speed to output.

PC's have higher bus as well.

Argue it till it dries up, but the statement is false.

BSDeez16 said:
"Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks."

They're not specifically saying that the Wii has more computing power...

I believe they were getting at the point that the technology between ALL THREE machines (PS3, 360, Wii) in general surpass the PC's computing power.

Also think about the average consumer's PC specs. Most people that have PC's ARE NOT hardcore gamers, and therefore don't have the most powerful PC's. I'd say that the average consumer has a computer good enough to surf the web, check email, edit pictures etc.

Well the statement says quite plainly "more computing power" and no, they quite plainly don't.

Last edited:
BSDeez16 said:
My point exactly! :)

vagrant said:
Well the statement says quite plainly "more computing power" and no, they quite plainly don't.
PS3 with Cell alone has more power than most PC's.

But as Vagrant has said, what's the use of arguing over whether a game machine has more power than a PC. I've learned that you cannot change anyones opinion on the internet, whether they are wrong or not (that goes for me too hahahaha).

Back