Idea for an Add-On Hard Drive

gpoleweski

G-JoKeR
Jan 2, 2007
Australia, Sydney, Lebville (not a leb)
Wii Online Code
4462-3961-4067-6996
Hello everyone I was just on my Wii and then I suddenly thought of this design instead of a USB that cost $150 I came up with a VERY VERY basic design of what a new hard-drive add on should look like. These are only sketches and I would like to know what anyone thinks of them. And please don't go too hard on me as this was only a suggestion.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wii Prototype.jpg
    Wii Prototype.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 178
not a bad idea mate. Only problem is that it could make the Wii look a bit ugly and it will render the console useless on its stand.

What they should do is make the hard drive look like the Wii and make a stand for that aswell so they sit side by side. (sorta like the Xbox 360's HD-DVD player, but better looking)

As far as HDDs go, your shape, respectfully, is utterly useless. Hard drives have platters that are wide and round meaning the casing has to be thin and rectangular similar to the 360s drive. HDDs can not simply assume any shape you want to put them in.

As far as this goes anyway, Given the Wiis capabilities and design, there's no reason to have an HDD in the first place unless you just want to stick a bunch of pictures on there. There's nothing about the Wii that needs much memory in the first place unless they plan on releasing full downloadable GC or Wii games (not meaning VC games). If they DID come out with an HDD add-on, you can bet it would simply plug into the back and sit next to the Wii.

If they creat a HDD they can make new channels like the Demo Channel or something. They could also create a Media Channel for storing Mp3's etc.

Major Tom said:
How about they just make the Harddrive The same size/shape of the stand????? That wouldn't be to hard.
Yeah thats a reasonable size I think.

But to the original poster: The idea is great man, if only a little on the large side.

You guys are forgetting that they can't make a large enough (capacity) hard drive in the shape of the stand or the one pictured here. They could maybe use IBM Microdrives or something, but their capacity is small and they have a terrible habit of randomly going bad. Other than that and for the suggested shapes you'd have to use something solid state like flash, which can get very expensive...

The smallest DECENT HDDs are going to be 2.75" x 4" x 0.5" and that simply won't fit in the spaces you're describing. Anything smaller (microdrive/flash) is going to be slower, way less reliable, and WAY more expensive.

Last edited:
Yeah if use the new microdrive/flash Harddrive (Thats what the best Buy employee called them) it wouldn't take up much space. They come in up to 100gig.

simmorya said:
has anyone actually tried using a USB flash drive or does it not work? they obviously have some plans for a second USB port.
thats the first thing i tried..... No luck..... They dont register.
Actually All nintendo has to do is allow you to actually run the VC games off of SD Cards. They are already system locked so what would it hurt?

You have to wonder why Nintendo make stupid decisions like this. I mean.. whats the big deal with letting someone use their USB drive?

Back