If I already have a wireless netowrk set up.....

fniguy22

WiiChat Member
Dec 17, 2006
I already have a wireless network setup in my house with a Linksys wireless router. It is an unencrypted network (I live in the middle of nowhere).

My question is when my son opens his Wii on Christmas day and we want to hook it up and get going, will it "detect" my network and connect to it automatically or are there going to be a bunch of hoops to jump through?

Thanks in advance for you help.

You will have to tell it to setup the wireless connection via the options menu, but it's a pretty fluid process. The Wii pretty much detects your setup, you just have to select your network.

fniguy22 said:
Thanks, I am hoping it will go smoothly......

Just make sure your router's set to b+g (not 802.11g only) and it'll fire right up.

My only worry about doing it on christmas day is this.

As soon as I powered the Wii up and networked it, it did 2 big updates that took about 15 minutes in total on an 8mBit connection. It gave an option to cancel while updating but I've heard that this isn't recommended.

Fniguy22 you don't say where you're from, but if you live in the UK I would imagine thousands and thousands of Wii's are going to want to update on Christmas morning. This *might* cause a problem at Nintendo's end, or possibly take a damn sight longer to do the update.

Is there no way you can do the update now, then put it all back in the box ready for Christmas ? This also has the added benefit of you being able to check that your wireless network is working.

That's what I did anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I am in the US. (IL). Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to set it up before Christmas..It'll just have to be a lesson in patience for my 12 year old........LOL;)

Back