If We Bother Nintendo Enough, Maybe HD Support?

2ZeBeach

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2006
Medford, MA
Hey Everyone,
Just a thought. Maybe if Nintendo gets enough requests for a HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) upgrade it will take it into consideration? I sent them an email asking about this because I think its a big problem. When I use component cables on a 42" hdtv the jaggies are horrible. All i want is a smooth looking picture. This isn't unprecedented because the Xbox 360 released an upgrade to give it 1080p support. So, if you're having the same issues why not take thirty seconds to express them to nintendo and let them know that the Wii owners of the world would appreciate at least a 720p upgrade.

Here is the link to the nintendo email customer support form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

You can't really just "release an upgrade", for one, it's probably a technical limitation of the video card, two, the Wii isn't designed to run smoothly at those resolutions, so you'd get choppy as hell FPS, and three, none of the games currently released could even support it properly.

I don't think you thought this through well enough.

Hmm in response I would like to say this, I'd like my computer to run twice as fast and display a better picture than it does at the moment, perhaps I could download a patch? No? Then how about my car running at 2.0 instead of 1.2? Get some new petrol? No? This is because those things are dependant on the hardware and technology that they're built with, software and new petrol isn't going to change the fact I have an X700 PCI-E card in my laptop and that my car won't compete with a jaguar S-type.

Don't you think if all it took was a bit of code to make the Wii display fine at 720p then Nintendo would have done it?

I don't know...the original Xbox was capable of outputting 720p resolution. The Wii is significantly more powerful than the original Xbox. I find it hard to believe that it would be impossible to upgrade the wii software to output a 720p res. In a few years most of the country will be running on HDTVs, so I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't take advantage of the superior technology around these days.

2ZeBeach said:
Hey Everyone,
Just a thought. Maybe if Nintendo gets enough requests for a HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) upgrade it will take it into consideration? I sent them an email asking about this because I think its a big problem. When I use component cables on a 42" hdtv the jaggies are horrible. All i want is a smooth looking picture. This isn't unprecedented because the Xbox 360 released an upgrade to give it 1080p support. So, if you're having the same issues why not take thirty seconds to express them to nintendo and let them know that the Wii owners of the world would appreciate at least a 720p upgrade.

Here is the link to the nintendo email customer support form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Honestly, they'll just have an automatic message saying that they'll read your letter and put your thoughts into consideration, other than that, don't expect to hear much. If you wish to see some High def visuals, check out a 360 and play Gears of War or Call of Duty. Other than the component cables, don't expect much to be released, especially since many people don't even own an HD.

Kamikaze said:
Honestly, they'll just have an automatic message saying that they'll read your letter and put your thoughts into consideration, other than that, don't expect to hear much. If you wish to see some High def visuals, check out a 360 and play Gears of War or Call of Duty. Other than the component cables, don't expect much to be released, especially since many people don't even own an HD.

But I really like my Wii and I don't want a 360. All I want is to be able to play Wii games without jaggies! Is that too much to ask Nintendo!?!?!??!?! IS IT!??!?!?!

2ZeBeach said:
But I really like my Wii and I don't want a 360. All I want is to be able to play Wii games without jaggies! Is that too much to ask Nintendo!?!?!??!?! IS IT!??!?!?!

You new the score when you bought it, there was enough reviews about the graphics and screen shot differences, buy a smaller screen, wont notice the jaggies as much.

2ZeBeach said:

Get a 26 inch LCD television by Samsung, you'll notice upon how beautiful it looks in that screen. Other than that, yes it is asking too much from Nintendo, as they cannot be bothered by petty requests.

sheppy124 said:
You new the score when you bought it, there was enough reviews about the graphics and screen shot differences, buy a smaller screen, wont notice the jaggies as much.

Yea i know. Its still awesome, no matter what the resolution is and I wouldn't trade it for any of the other consoles. I'm just looking for the cherry on top of the sundae that would make it perfect.

The Wii is capable of outputting 1080i and 720p but it will depend on a firmware update and if developers utilize it. The only reason why Nintendo is limiting the Wii to 480p is so the games made for it will look and play better. For example, if Zelda was made to run at 720p it would mean that more system memory and system resources would be dedicated to out putting 720p which means lower performance. There for a performance increase and acceptable/good looking graphics could be achieve with 480p. Another example would be computer video cards (which is the same with the consoles) like the Geforce 5000 series. They had Directx 9 support but with it on games would pretty much slow down to an unplayable state. So users just drop the resolution or directx 9 to gain playable framerates.

With those notes, I still believe that Wii is powerful enough to at least run 1080i with better texture, lighting, and polygon count then the original Xbox. I just believe Nintendo is trying to play it safe and they purposely underestimate their own system. Look at the Gamecube, Nintendo play it safe with all their 1st party games while 3rd party pushed it to the limits like Resident Evil 4 or Star Fox Adventure.

The specs of the Wii so far indicates that it can do much more then what most people think. Do remember that the Xbox was slightly stronger the Gamecube while the Wii is a lot stronger. Most importantly it has why much more memory.

Hope I make sense, it's late here in San Diego, CA.

2ZeBeach said:
I don't know...the original Xbox was capable of outputting 720p resolution. The Wii is significantly more powerful than the original Xbox. I find it hard to believe that it would be impossible to upgrade the wii software to output a 720p res. In a few years most of the country will be running on HDTVs, so I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't take advantage of the superior technology around these days.

The specs for the wii are less than an xbox, and untill we see a game with graphics that prove otherwise it is falling well below the xbox in the visual department, if the wii could have hd its a safe bet they would have done it already. Hell just compare carbon on xbox to carbon on wii.....ewwww visualy and frame rate wise on the wii :(

I bet the wii is capable of doing 720p through the component cables since is uses a fairly standard ati graphics chip.

I doubt that we will see ever see games running in this res as they would need updating and processing power would probably be a problem. The low res doesn't bother me in the games I play on the wii anyhow.

However it would be cool to see HD versions for some of the channels e.g. photo and internet, processing power wouldn’t be an issue for these.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think any emails sent to Nintendo regarding HD support will simply be flagged to an automated response system so you DONT waste their time. As someone else said, Nintendo didn't mislead you into thinking the Wii had HD support, if thats what was important to you then the Wii wasn't the right console for you to buy.

Back