IGN: mario kart hands on :O

The biggest news for me:

IGN said:
First of all, Mario Kart Wii will be 12 player compatible over the internet. Additionally, the game will allow either one or two players per system, so when you jump online, you can play split-screen with a friend and compete. On top of the multiplayer focus, Nintendo will also introduce the "Mario Kart Channel" – currently, this channel is in-game only and not included on the Wii Menu (but that could change), and it's used for players to check up on rankings and times, to upload and download ghost racers, to download tournaments and weekly challenges (like Mario Kart DS-style missions), and other cool network tidbits.

Mario Kart Wii will put four different profiles in the system save file, which means you can have four different racers on a Wii system…all marked by the Mii character chosen at the creation of the profile. The game has a seriously huge statistics tracking list for each player. The game will record all sorts of fun tidbits: Distance traveled, Total Race and Battle count, how much you've used the Wii Wheel, how many tricks you've pulled off, favorite character, favorite vehicle, favorite course, and favorite stage. Nintendo WFC friend race win/losses. Ghosts sent and ghosts received. There's something called "VR Rating" as well as "Battle Rating," both were set at 5000 points during our demo. It'll track how many Wi-Fi races you've played and your Wi-Fi Battle mode win/loss record. It'll track how many first place appearances, percentages of times in first place, how many times you hit someone, how many times you've been hit, your ghost race wins/losses, and how many tournaments you've played. Whew!

Wow, Brawl could have really used this online..

Note: To anyone truly excited for this game, IGN reveals quite a bit including the starting roster, the semi confirmation of snaking, new items, and much more. Make sure you read through the entire piece!

Last edited:
wow, this game actually looks amazing and somewhat innovative. nice on all the stats recorded and all the boost-opps.

I'm soo freakin happy right now with the addition of 2 player online. If only Brawl could have that...

Know its asking alot, but can someone rehost the images for me? My college blocks IGN and I can't find them anywhere else...

:( siiiigh

Two player online sounds great. Battle mode online is also something worth paying for :p.

I can't wait and it looks like snaking is out, you can still powerslide in corners, but the traditional snaking method is not an option.

Mario Kart Wii changes things around a bit by not requiring players to rapidly steer in the opposite direction of a powerslide to generate the boost power. Instead, the boost power builds automatically during a successful powerslide, and the longer you hold it the more boost you'll get out of it. As soon as you let go of the powerslide trigger (the button on the back of the steering wheel controller) your kart will jolt forward with a surge of energy. No more waggling the stick/control pad back and forth to generate boosts this time around. Whether that's good or bad, it was a little hard to tell in the short spin around a few of the game's courses.

Of course, the question of "snaking" came up, whether multiplayer games are going to boil down to what's happened with Mario Kart DS: players simply powerdrifting on every possible straightaway as rapidly as possible. Well, with the new powersliding mechanic it makes it difficult for quick fingers to get more boosts than the racers with slower fingers. So perhaps this is Nintendo's way of combating the awkward "love it/hate it" snaking mechanic.

ElronMac said:
I can't wait and it looks like snaking is out, you can still powerslide in corners, but the traditional snaking method is not an option.
AWESOME, Snaking ruined Mario Kart DS.

Mario Kart Wii is looking very good. I might actually consider purchasing the game now. 2-Player online is a great feature.

@Jay61:

mario-kart-wii-20080218092012675.jpg

mario-kart-wii-20080218092011472.jpg

mario-kart-wii-20080218092010035.jpg

jimbo said:
nice fetures thanks...all i need now is release date..

and is it just me or do some parts like tracks look poor (graphicly)??

it will look better in game play... these are still pics of a fast pace action... :yesnod:

Back