IGN reviews Heatseeker, loses cred

IGN constantly contradicts themselves. But, this game doesn't look at all. The score was probably justified.

It's that specific game not the entire Wii console all they are saying is that the game play isn't enough make up for the graphics

I don't see how heatseeker got so popular here.....

Anyway it seems the best of each genre on the Wii is praised too much. I mean excite truck may be the only good racing game, but it's so not Mario Kart or GT good.

mukeliller said:
From the IGN review on 4/30/2007:

After putting a ton of time into Codemaster's Heatseeker for Wii, we've found one of the best feeling flight games out there. What we still haven't found, however, is the total package in either graphics, gameplay, or presentation, as Heatseeker's basic entertainment value is still plagued by a lack of variety, simplistic design, and an overall last-generation feel.

I hate IGN. Dont you?

Apparently next gen feeling isnt enough to combat the last-gen graphics?? Is that what they're trying to say? Does anyone else think thats a total load?

Ive been excited about this game--looks tight I think, can anybody corroborate my feelings on this?
What is the problem here? By feeling they meen the controls and their intuativity, they say that's good... Then they're saying the gameplay and presentation of is lacking, different categories here, what contradictions? But when they talk about the graphics they are comparing to other Wii titles and what the Wii is capable of. It looks like the PS2 version, graphicaly it suffers...

the intention of this post, although laced with the disapointment i may feel having seen IGNs crappy review of heatseeker, was to question IGNs credibility.

If a game has next-gen controls how can it feel like a last-gen game. To assume so suggests 'next-gen feel' is incomplete without graphical back-up. What i mean to say is, that IGN is a bad reviewer, ive been watching them for years now and their answers to games, which theyve played and we havent, are so nebulous and unhelpful-- the only purpose their site serves is one big comercial for whoever pays for the most add space.

mukeliller said:
the intention of this post, although laced with the disapointment i may feel having seen IGNs crappy review of heatseeker, was to question IGNs credibility.

If a game has next-gen controls how can it feel like a last-gen game. To assume so suggests 'next-gen feel' is incomplete without graphical back-up. What i mean to say is, that IGN is a bad reviewer, ive been watching them for years now and their answers to games, which theyve played and we havent, are so nebulous and unhelpful-- the only purpose their site serves is one big comercial for whoever pays for the most add space.
So then. Which reviewer do you trust?

I gave up on IGN and Gamespot a LOOOOOONNNNGGG time ago. I generally agree with most metacritic ratings, as the averages are well done. For everything not games, it's cnet reviews.

What's supposed to be a credible site for reviews? I use gamestop often...someone said they're biased though...I dunno..:confused:

Bah Heatseeker didn't look at all that fun or original to begin with. I like IGN a lot, especially the Wii section as I think Matt & Bozon rate games extremly fairly with very little bias.

The game looks repetitive which I think the review states, and when it refers to the overall last-generation feel, I believe it is stating that the actual gameplay is not original or new, just a repeat of last generation.

Seriously, this game looks completely un-inspiring. I don't know why everyone is excited about it.

StevenNevets said:
So then. Which reviewer do you trust?
Already answered this, look at the first page or just see below :sleep:
I trust the threads right here on wiichat the most when im looking to find out about a game ... everyone here usually brings to the table a good combination of other online reviewers and their own experience.. cant get better than wiichat!

E7ernal said:
iawtc

this is freaking halarious!! The IGN UK counterparts have the EXACT OPPOSITE things to say about the same game. lmao--this solidifies my critique on IGN, they are a B-A-D reviewer

Moral of story: Trust your peers and others who are not swayed by the amount of money/spin a marketing dept throws at them

No, you created this thread to bash on IGN. That's fine, but you better have played said game before you blast a review. I don't understand why everyone hates on this or that reviewer. If you don't see eye to eye with them, don't read their reviews. Those guys review games exclusively for the Wii. They play a ton of Wii games. So far they have given the good Wii games good reviews, and the crappy Wii games bad reviews.

I have no idea how the game will play. I will wait until it comes out, see what others have to say about it, and then decide whether I want to rent or whatever after that. But, I do pay attention to their reviews, not so much the scores but rather the comments. I read the comments for Sonic, then I went and rented the game. I totally agreed with them on all of their basic points with that game. I'm glad I didn't buy it because I didn't like it that much. And that is really the point of these reviews, to give you an early indication of whether or not a game is worth your time. It is better if you do more looking into it, but the reviews start that process.

The guys that review these games are all different. They have different opinions and tastes. Some are pickier than others. Find a reviewer who shares your tastes and whose reviews typically mirror yours. If you don't like Gamespot (I don't) or IGN don't read their reviews. There are constantly threads like this on the board and I don't get it. Not everyone likes the same game. Each person can play the same game and give you totally different feedback.

Last edited:
mukeliller said:
iawtc

this is freaking halarious!! The IGN UK counterparts have the EXACT OPPOSITE things to say about the same game. lmao--this solidifies my critique on IGN, they are a B-A-D reviewer

Moral of story: Trust your peers and others who are not swayed by the amount of money/spin a marketing dept throws at them

I haven't read the reviews but honestly, if you organize the gamecube games at IGN in terms of ratings, you will find that all the games people tell you to buy recieved very good scores. I am pretty confident that when the wii is the old console and you look at all the games in its lifetime the best ones will have been given good scores by IGN.

That said people have different tastes. When a game is great everyone will agree it was great. When a game is decent/ok there is always some disparity from reviewers because it comes down to whether you enjoy that type of game or not. In that case the rating is less important than the comments made. I tend to only buy great games and shy away from decent games. In this regard IGN works for me, if you have particular tastes and often find yourself interested in decent games because of your specific tastes then you'll never get a good picture from reading a single review.

I agree with IcedEarth and Adios, I too tend to trust IGN and like their reviews.

Back