im craving some news on THE BIGS!

Although I won't be able to take the Phils to the series in this game, it's gotta be better than WiiSports unless you're under the age of 7. Due to obligations at the office, I most likely won't get a crack at the game until after 5 PM, but was able to pick up a copy at Best Buy (I believe the Morneau is the "Best Buy Exclusive Cover") after asking the lady if they had them in stock about a half hour ago. They did, didn't have time to get them on the shelves yet. So, it's probably of some use to drive or call over to BB, at least on the east coast. I'm in Raleigh, NC if that's useful to you folks.

Hope Ryan Howard can crush the ball in the video game...

Wiitime said:
what?? i just called best buy to confirm and they said they dont have it. they said they dont release new games until Wednesday..

WTF:mad5: I checked online and they said that both Pokemon Coluseum and The Bigs whould be in the store by Tuesday June 26. Why the hell do none of the stores have The Bigs.

GameRube said:
I had it on reserve at GameStop, just went to pick it up and they said for some reason they didnt get them today. So I went to best buy and picked it up.

Also I wonder if they have regional covers because my copy has Justin Morneau on the cover (Which is sweet because Im a huge Twins fan!!!)

The Justin Morneau cover art is a "Best Buy Only" deal. I cant stand the Cardinals so I was very excited to see the different cover.

Alright as soon as My football weight training is over at 6:00 im hedin to bestbuy to get mine. I hope they have It:scared:

infaredx2 said:
The Justin Morneau cover art is a "Best Buy Only" deal. I cant stand the Cardinals so I was very excited to see the different cover.

This makes sense since Best Buy is a MN company

I got my copy in hand, Gamestop pre-order...picked it up over lunch hour. I'll be in my first game after work, about 3 hours from now.

I have the game! I have just started playing it. I will write a review when i can. I want to learn everything first so i can give a great review.
Thanks
-Wiitime

@ 1st glance, the pitching is complex, but not 2 bad, the only thing i am having a probelm with is the clock wise / counter clock wise wrist movements. Hitting is fairly easy, but you must pick pitch location (like mlb 06 the show). When i did try a game, it was past paced. I was worried about the fielding, but it is very easy. Once I learn the game it will be fun. My wife is excited to learn and play as well.

On a side note, the graphics arent as good as on the trailer. They are still good, reminds me of a PS2 game.

more to come, need to check my auctions on WoW and go out to dinner

You guys must be having too much fun to post your reviews! Guess its not that bad after all? May have to go to Bestbuy tommorrow then, instead of waiting an extra night. Thanks for your input x2.

Hey does anyone know how to jump up the wall to catch the ball. My opponents always do that and i can't figure out how.

My impression after 3 hours of playing:

The Good:
It's baseball, and I'm a baseball fan.
The graphics are decent. The players look pretty good, the parks are true to life, but lots of jagged edges are noticeable.
Great sound.
Accurate players and lineups for the most part.
The rookie mode is pretty entertaining to play through
Normal mode is still pretty hard, so with two more difficulty levels to go, should be plenty of playing time.

The bad:
The controls are pretty awkward at first, and even after 3 hours don't quite seem accurate all the time, especially on throws.
There's a control lag, so the type of fielding plays the game thrives on are difficult to pull off because reaction time isn't very good. Batting suffers too because you have to guess the pitch earlier than you should to compensate.
Throwing different types of pitches can be difficult even on easy mode because they require precise wrist movement, some of which could damage your arm (mainly the elbow)
Lots of jaggies, even for a Wii game.

Overall:
Sadly, the control lag takes alot from the game. From what I've read the problem is not exclusive to the Wii, and was identified months ago during beta testing but never fixed. The game overall seems like it was rushed. Home run derby is pathetic and might as well have been left out. I would really have liked so see some season options. They claim it was left out due to the nature of the game, but previous games with this type of edge had season modes and it worked out just fine.

That being said, once you play for a bit the control lag fades to the back of your mind and just becomes part of the game play. The overall awkwardness of the control fades, and game gets to be more fun. However, when you have a split second to react for a diving play, the lag becomes a glaring poblem and pops back into your head for a moment.

The rookie mode is a blast from the few hours I've played on it so far. That's the bread and butter of the game.

If you're a baseball fan looking for an option on the Wii, this is your only one for the season. I give it about a 7/10. It could have been a great game if they would have put the necessary time in it. Obvious problems were left in the game and outside of rookie mode there's no depth whatsoever. The only reason it's not a 6 or even a 5 is because we don't have another option on this system.

I would seriously recommend renting first, but don't form your opinion about it until you've played for at least 2 hours. It takes that long for the controls to stop feeling forced.

Last edited:
gamefreak4 said:
Hey does anyone know how to jump up the wall to catch the ball. My opponents always do that and i can't figure out how.

supposedly you press a and flick the wiimote up, but i haven't been able to do that either, im getting better at sliding catches though, so maybe it will come in time.

Back