I'm extremely disappointed in the WII

kenn said:
Actually, Kirby, you summarized my post into a discussion of price/performance and HD graphics. I didn't bring up HD in the slightest. My oratory centered on computing power in producing textures and polygons. Your arguments are weakened because you resort to exaggeration and fallacy to try to make your post meaningful. Instead, try coming up with a thoughtful counter that isn't an attack but instead a well thought out counter-opinion. Inspire, for instance, adds well thought out commentary to his posts and if the board had a ratings system (does it?) I'd certainly put him high on the list...

I like you. :)

And as you probably know, many of the games have extraordinary graphics like: Zelda, Metroid prime 3, SSBB, Red Steel and Super mario Galaxy, i dont feel its the console lacking as much as the devs making the game with so-so graphics.

Last edited:
I'm going to comment on the original posters thoughts on the price...because honestly, I don't know much about the technical specs.

Like some have already said, with the Wii console, you get Wii Sports, you get a controller and nun-chuck, you get 512mb of memory, and internet capability. The Wii may only be slightly more powerful than the gamecube, but do you remember Resident Evil 4? That game is beautiful, and if the Wii is capable of even better than that, then there is no worry in my heart at all.

As for Sony and Microsoft, if you're typing in this forum, you must have a computer...which means you don't need those stupid systems anyway, because most of their games get released on PC anyway, and the PC is capable of FAR superior graphics.

Inspire said:
zraductus, if you were a character in a comic book, your arch-enemy would have to be F7.
ROTFL!

Inspire said:
I'd hate to think that the Wii would have its hardware maxed at launch, kenn. That'd be a first in the industry. Resident Evil 4 maxed the GC, and it took awhile - it also looked very good. Based on that, I'm skeptical that Red Steel has the system maxed out, but I haven't played Red Steel, either - online videos speak nothing to the graphics of a system.

Let's hope that's not the case and we do see some revolutionary graphics... I'd love to buy and WII and not have buyers remorse, lol.

Inspire whos f7?......i just turned on my gamecube and started to play resident evil 4
and ur right it is a beatifull game and im praying the Wii vastly surpasses those type of graphics so when i buy it this monday i wont have any regrets

am i the only one who thinks that red steel graphics are GOOD (not excellent). Personally if Red Steel has pushed the graphic already i would be a little disappointed as the graphic would look poor when the wii comes to its end as the newest nintendo console out in let say four or so years.

epikon said:
am i the only one who thinks that red steel graphics are GOOD (not excellent). Personally if Red Steel has pushed the graphic already i would be a little disappointed as the graphic would look poor when the wii comes to its end as the newest nintendo console out in let say four or so years.

Dude, from the pics and vids I've seen of Red Steel, it's not as good graphically as Resident Evil 4 was. It will be a while before the Wii releases a game with truly awesome graphics. Red Steel looks good, but it's nothing too special.

well imagine this lets go back in time picture this the playstation2 has just come out and xbox and nintendos answer to this is a slightly faster version of the supernintendo (almost a nintendo 64) with a gimmicky wireless remote controller

woooooooooow nintendo has really done it cause the other console has the graphics but that isnt important shell out ur hard earn cash to buy a sligthly inferior console with a gimmicky control after all does anyone remember the "POWER GLOVE" whatever did happened to that?

power glove was crap but nintendo never has bugs unlike sony and mircosoft every console bought from nintendo never had a problem with them except virtual boy that kinda hurt my head a bit
and the controller is not a gimmick you should look at ps3s card reader thats a gimick

the_peripheral said:
Dude, from the pics and vids I've seen of Red Steel, it's not as good graphically as Resident Evil 4 was. It will be a while before the Wii releases a game with truly awesome graphics. Red Steel looks good, but it's nothing too special.

lol thats exaclty what i said...

in that aspect ur right i had one playstation 2 gain magically cosmic powers and become the human torch in a matter of seconds before my very eyes they only thing it did not do is say the phrase: FLAME ON!!!!!!!

DAMN VIRTUAL BOY........thats a bad idea gone worse!!!!

i never had to replace a nintendo consol ever except 1 or 2 controllers but in ps2 i had 2 buy at least a dozen controllers in a year

and its seems sony is desperate cause they want to hog every gamer in the market first they wanna be bigger than xbox 360 with theyr mamoth specs then that talk about having 300 billions plus units at launch and last but not least
ripping off nintendos motion sensor controller with the crappy tilting thingy
they first had the boomerang thingy controller and scrapped the boomerang for the old dual shock pad without rumble but with the tilting crap

i guess they knew they couldnt produce even a million untits and knew nintendo could and since the big N console would be cheaper than theirs
they tought to ripp off nintendos ideas so they could say....
hey look at us where expensive but have hd graphics....but hey hey hey
dont buy the Wii we have the motion controller too!!! ..oops i mean tilting controller...........spend ur money here cause where not doing so well
and the ps3 is our only hope thats why its so damn expensive......anyway gamers will buy anything so why shouldnt we charge them 2,000 4 the ps3???
nah thats too obvious...lets keep it at 600...

all the new technology costs a lot
sorry 360 or ps3 dont have NEW technology, just upgraded
and the hardware specs? need people be reminded..PS2 WAS THE LOWEST IN HARDWARE TERMS AND IT WON LAST GEN

p.s. GC was pretty much equal to XBOX in power, yet didnt appeal to hardcoregamers even though the XBOX did, so since the wii dosent have the graphics it wont appeal to hardcore gamers? jeeze! how do you appeal to such people!? you got me in a twister. and lets not forget the ps2 again...

Last edited:
There are some interesting viewpoints floating around here, especially the one of the original poster.

I'm not technically savvy like kenn is but at least I have a basic understanding of computer terms. One thing I've noticed with computers is that it doesn't matter how fast the CPU is, the computer will never be fast unless it balances everything inside it with the CPU. And that's what Nintendo has done with its consoles. Slower clock speed CPUs and then balance out with the rest of the system through Graphics card, bus speed, RAM etc. The gamecube, as a result is almost as good as the XBOX and is a very energy efficient machine in comparision to the XBOX.

Sony and Microsoft have never opted for that approach because their philosophy is 'the bigger, the better', which is flawed. You can have a game system or a computer that gives out the best possible graphics of its time but in a few years down the track it's likely to fail due to overheating problems and flaws within the design of components and how they work with each other. That is often the problem with XBOX and PS consoles - they overheat too much and every now and then, a problem crops up with the system integrity.

What nintendo has done is virtually work in the opposite direction of Sony and Microsoft. I'm sure they did think of improving their graphical prowess of the Wii back in development stages. But they realised that if they took that path, focusing on graphics and nil gameplay, they would not get anywhere in the long term and the industry would stifle. Instead, they focused on minimising power consumption by decreasing the size of the components involved and using tried and tested methods of using the most efficient technology at the time. Hence the price cost is cheaper, the size of the console is very small and has minimal heating problems.

In terms of playability and gameplay, the Wii has alot of potential there. But its up to the developers to fully utilise the uniqueness of the Wii console. The Wii alone cannot win without having a good developer backing behind it. That is what enabled the PS2 to win the current generation war. It had alot of games but very few of them were good games.

Grahically, the Wii is mediocre and I agree with Kenn in terms of graphics capability. The graphics on the other systems are much better but that doesn't stop me from playing 'old school' games because I know graphics doesn't ensure you'll have a great game. Graphics can only help enhance immersion into the game but it is gameplay that keeps you going. For example, I played a driving game on the XBOX 360 and I was amazed at the grahical detail the devs put into creating the environment but I got bored with it in 10 minutes as it turned out to be another speed chase driving game. One that has been made before millions of times, starting with Driver and GTA.

I wonder who would be interested in playing a game that first came out on the SNES and didn't change much except for graphics. Sad but true. Now we have so many FPS that all have the same goal - kill as many enemies you can see on the screen and get through the level to reach the next level. It was a fun game at first but now that there are so many on the net and on video games, it sure does get very repetitive and boring. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind FPS but if its a new genre FPS like Metroid Prime or Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike then I'd be happy to play it. But I don't want to play the same old games like Halo and Timesplitters or many of the FPS you see on the Playstation section in video game shops.

I tried Halo and I must say its incredibly difficult to get the hang of using two separate joysticks to move your character on the screen- that was a big turn off factor for trying out many FPS that are out on the market nowdays. The keyboard and mouse is alot more fun for FPS.

kenn said:
Obviously you meant to say, "My weak post is as follows:

I can certainly talk in terms of clock cycles per second, bits per second, bus speeds, bits processed per cpu cycle, multi-threading, merits of L2-cache on and off die if you prefer, but most quasi-intelligent people are comfortable with seeing the word "Horsepower" used metaphorically about such specific data. Clearly you aren't (intelligent or comfortable with metaphors) so I'd be happy to discuss the actual processor data sheet.

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/2F33B5691BBB8769872571D10065F7D5/$file/ppc750cl_ds_dd20_5oct06.pdf

That's the link to the new power pc chip. Here's a free pass for you to put one or both feet in your mouth before you respond: I work in the semiconductor industry.

first of all, your argument was very nicely put and i enjoyed reading it and seeing your view. second of all, can u read my thread on " stereotypical/ignoratn views on the wii" and comment on it? the title is not necessariyl targeting u, i just wanted to refer it to u for when u have a chance
3rd of all, you work with silicon all day long?! ive always wondered how chips work and how they store information and what not. the background of how they work and how such things occur with the use of them.

Anyways, MY "speech" on my thread is basically a counter to what u said :)

RPGMasterTurk91 said:
Anyways, MY "speech" on my thread is basically a counter to what u said :)

I'll go check it out...

come to think of it the hardcore/pro gamers actually seem to opt for nintendo. most of the people i know who own a xbox or playstation only use the pc for MSN and download music from limewire (sums them up).

Back