Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I'm Glad the Wii Cant Play DVD's and MP3's!!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by D4L_Wii, Dec 15, 2007.

1. D4L_Wii

D4L_Wii WiiChat Member

I'm GLAD that the wii cant play DVD's and MP3's.

Nintendo are stricktly for gaming and nothing else, is that so bad? I mean we have DVD Players to watch movies, and computers, mp3 players ect for music.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft X-Box, they do use DVD players and Music and Games which is ok but it focuses away from the gaming.

I hope that the Wii never does attach DVD and Music Playback because then they'll focus away from the True Meaning of their company of Nintendo.

GAMING​

Thanks,
    D4L_Wii
    The Crashsphere

2. Shoko

Shoko The Shoke

Wii Friend Code: 5295-8320-2788-9441
    5295-8320-2788-9441
    i agree with u but i dont think dvd playback would distract nintendo from gaming. but the reason why im glad theres no dvd playback is because the fact that the price for a wii would be higher. plus, playing dvd's in ur consel(s) wears it out. i used to play movies all the time on my ps2 but it just stopped reading ALL types of discs after 5 motnhs

3. nic7

nic7 Wiichat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8853-1952-9704-6115
    8853-1952-9704-6115
    I actually don't think the price of the wii would have gone higher at all. But, Nintendo is a business and understandably wanted to make the most money they possibly could selling each console.

4. Shoko

Shoko The Shoke

Wii Friend Code: 5295-8320-2788-9441
    5295-8320-2788-9441
    ^of course the price wouldve been higher. im not sayin like 70-90$ higher, but it would at least be 20$ higher

5. nic7

nic7 Wiichat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8853-1952-9704-6115
    8853-1952-9704-6115
    No it wouldn't have. Nintendo never had any plan on releasing the wii at a higher price than $250. And, putting in DVD support wouldn't have done much to change their minds. (Worse case scenario the price would have been $220 and they got rid of Wiisports)

6. TiwazTyrsfist

TiwazTyrsfist Dubito Ego Sum

The Wii can play MP3s...

7. Mc_Evan

Mc_Evan Happy X-Mas !

Mp3's would at least would be nice .

8. sarasota

sarasota Let the Wii pwnage begin.

I agree wholeheartedly about the DVD thing.....all that would do is drive up the cost and therefore the retail price of the unit (don't think it wouldn't, for those above, it's simple economics, Nintendo isn't going to give us a piece of additional hardware for free, that's all there is to it, cost per unit goes up, retail cost goes up), and as everyone and their momma has pointed out, the number of households in this country with NO DVD player is very low, we don't have to have one on the Wii too.

Now, is it nice to have the HDDVD and Blu-Ray capability on the 360 and PS3 respectively? Yes, and it's a big feature for those consoles in my opinon. But again, the number of people with an HDDVD/Blu-Ray player pale in comparision to the number of people with a standard, dedicated DVD player.

9. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    They don't, they took it out and replaced it with the crappy formatted AAC. And yes, I would love to have a DVD player on the Wii or MP3 formatted, why can't we? The reason the price tag was only $250 was because of the features it provided. A crappy HDD, useless updates, horrible online, and more which I don't feel the need to list.

10. RadNad

RadNad Get The Funk In The Car!

Also people are just starting to catch on with 1080i/p HDTV which they then would want to buy HD DVDs/Blu-Ray movies for as well and maybe get a seperate HD Player or either pay £250 (can't be bothered to convert, doing homework :p ) for a video games console devoted to gaming and can play movies becomes very costly after a while.

I can't make sense of what I just wrote...

11. B.D.N

B.D.N WiiChat Member

Also a good percent of people already own a DvD player as it is. So why add an add-on that no one will probably even use? if wii did have DvD playback i probably wouldn't even use it because i Have a DvD player that works just fine.

Also true about the HDTV's more and more people are buying them but so far that only about 30% or so. So why add something that not every one can use. I for one still dont have a HDTV in fact i still own an analog TV i got when i graduated 7years ago and it still running fine so why should i upgrade?

12. CyanRussel

CyanRussel 2062-8990-6509 GET READY!

In my SSBB kingdom waiting for a challenge
    Wii Friend Code: 3760-9059-7725-6846
    3760-9059-7725-6846
    I could agree that they could put in a dvd set...not sure about mp3

Everyone gots a mp3 or Ipod these days...SO WHATS THE POINT

13. cookiemonsta11111

cookiemonsta11111 Huge Member

Wii Friend Code: 2154-9969-3510-2243
    2154-9969-3510-2243

Love Your Work!

#13 cookiemonsta11111, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Unofficial WiiChat Helper

Wii Friend Code: 7114-5214-3386-2022
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    umm right? dude the wii is a game system but i don't see why you wouldnt want those features I don't think its distracting from the gaming its just giving it more functionality

15. davortech

davortech WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4582-2966-2869-3861
    4582-2966-2869-3861
    My $30 DVD player can play DivX and HD-DVD very well so I don't need CD /DVD playback on my Wii. The price would not go any higher if nintendo had decided to implement CD / DVD playback support. It's about the laser, nothing else. Maybe Wii is already capable of reading CD's and DVD's but the firmware does not support it. If they ever decide to enable cd / dvd playback, they should only release the new firmware that supports it. Just a thought...

16. Clarke

Clarke The "Real" Tech Support

Wii Friend Code: 4185-4226-9233-5237
    4185-4226-9233-5237
    I don't care either way but it's not gonna deter from the game quality. That's like saying Game Designers work on the marketing campaign and if they didn't have to work on marketing the game it would be of better quality.

And did you know Sony and Microsoft do more than make games? I think they're more than qualified to make multimedia platforms.

17. Wii_BrEnDo2007

Wii_BrEnDo2007 Gran Turismo

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    i agree its called a GAMING console for a reason

18. Budo

Budo Raging Clue

Yea, if Nintendo were to ever create - for example - a weather channel, a news channel, a photo channel and a voting channel that had absolutely nothing to do with gaming, I would be very upset since that would take the focus away from gaming. I mean, who in the heck doesn't have a computer to do all of this stuff already? I'm just glad that Nintendo doesn't add useless things like the above examples I listed, or a useless doll dress-up simulator, that would be friggin' hilarious. But again, I'm glad Nintendo doesn't do such things...

19. intr.up.td

intr.up.td Never Sleeps

I was thinking the same thing. I believe the Wii is capable of many things, the firmware is the only thing we're waiting on. If the Wii would be able to play dvd in the future I wouldn't mind. Hell, it can probably rip cd's for all we know. In the next couple years, we'll probably see our Wii's do some crazy stuff, like grow legs and walk around or make us our coffee (not really).

Also, I don't think the different varieties of channels are a waste either. Put yrself in a younger kids shoes who doesn't have a computer in his room. The Internet Channel is for him. The creative minds behind Nintendo are genius for many reasons, but one is that they're trying to think of things for EVERYONE. I find myself reading the weather and news on their respective channels very often, although I have hordes of RSS feeds right here in front of me. Yea, the Voting Channel isn't that great, but it certainly isn't geared towards late teenagers to adults. I do vote on some things though, especially to see how well my predictions turn out :wink:. The Mii contests are cool because you can see how creative people get with their Mii's and entering the contests are fun too. The first one, Mario Without his Cap, I got 8th place.

In the future, what I wish to see is some practical use out of the usb ports, i.e external hard drives, web cams, keyboards, you know, that kind of stuff. But if we never see any of that, that's okay with me. I couldn't be more satisfied with a gaming system. Especially with it's backwards compatibility. That right there is why I believe the Wii costs $250 and, not say, $200. It's also small and sleek and the gameplay is one of a kind. To be non-wireless is not an option, couldn't be anyways.

The fact is, and I'll be done, is that when you see the word: Nintendo, you think of what, gaming; Microsoft, rich and monopolizing corporation who is responsible for making crappy OS's; Sony, super-company who makes just about everything. But, Nintendo will always be the leader in gaming world-wide because they focus not only on gameplay, but they also focus on products for EVERYONE.

20. Ketico

Ketico WiiChat Member

Hey guys lets face it, we would love for the Wii to be capable of more!
    I believe nintendo has a good strategy, not to do to many things to fast.

"No Company can be anything and Everything" Sony and Microsoft have
    other means to make money so the gaming aspect is only a small portion
    of what they have to offer.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is all about games.

I would love for Nintendo to incorporate DvD playback and CD playback and a
    number of other things. Lets just wait and see what they are gonna do.

They are busy tryna met demand with the Wii Console and I think thats the
    only reason we are not getting frequent updates to our Wii System.

I've been a fan of Nintendo since the Nes days, and I feel Nintendo has our
    best interest in mind. If nintendo does to much to fast there will be nothing else to be excited about with the wii.

Lets just wait the see how the developers make use of the Controls. Just like with the DS, is gonna take some time for developers to really understand all that the Controls have to offer.

I predicted the success of Wii when it was first introduced at E3. I still think the Wii is capable of more than We can imagine! no pun intended lol.