I'm keeping my Wii just for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, good decision?

Reaper25

WiiChat Member
Oct 28, 2007
I won a Wii last month and decided to keep it and not sell it. I have a PS2, but no next-gen consoles. I thought the Wii was cool when it first came out, particularly Wii sports, but the majority of the games don't interest me.

The only reason I kept the Wii is because of its popularity, and I figured I would give Nintendo a try. The only good games for the Wii that I can see myself getting into are SSBB (even though I never played a Smash Bros. before) and Mario Kart. The fact that I could play these two titles online is what sold me. I definitely prefer online multiplayer games.

I've been lusting for a PS3 and I strongly considered selling the Wii to purchase one. I'm still going to get the PS3 when FF XIII comes out, but I just don't know if I made a good decision keeping the Wii.

My only game is Resident Evil 4 (I hadn't played this before on any other system). This game has been amazing. I thought about Zelda and Metroid, but decided not to get either of those two. I have never played a game from either of those two series but can't see myself really getting into them.

Super Mario Galaxy is coming out in a couple of weeks and I'm strongly considering buying it. But other than this game, I don't know if I'll get any other Wii game other than SSBB and Mario Kart. I am sort of a graphics whore so MOHH2 would have to get some pretty amazing reviews for me to jump on that.

Did I make the right decision in keeping the Wii? Was anyone else skeptical about the system even after they purchased it? Should I sell it at this point? Any "hardcore" gamers out there really enjoying their Wii? What games are you playing?

Well, Final Fantasy XIII won't be out until 2009 for the US, and horrifically
likely to not be out until 2010 for the UK, since Square is highly known for having large release date gaps between the 3 regions.

But I would say keeping your Wii for SSB. Brawl, would be a wise decision in my opinion. Since it supports online play, having WiFi brawls with the members here on Wiichat, should keep you busy for a very long time.

My best suggestion: Keep the Wii, and save up for the PS3, since you'll have plenty of time until FF13's release outside of Japan. It wouldn't be a very smooth move to quickly sell your Wii and then only have a PS3, when you can have them both, plus there's still good games coming out for the Wii.

I don't have my wii yet but, I sorta know what you're going through. First, if you're going to think of another system to get then, get a 360 because theere are many games that have online abilities even though, you must pay 7.99 USD/month, it is well worth it. I've also heard that your friends are 10 times easier to find compared to PS3.

Now as far as the Wii goes, I personally am buying a Wii, due to the fact, that there are many games I love for the Wii; Zelda:TP, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and many more. I personally don't really care about graphics. I'm not a big "ZOMG L33T GRAPHIX!one1" person. To me, the game is made for me by holding a good storyline, colorful characters, and many other aspects. The Wii will no doubt become a huge online system through time. I believe that MoH: Heroes 2 and SSBB will the first steps towards Wii's transformation.

...in short.. I suggest you keep your Wii and collect money over time for a 360 because you might regret leaving your Wii or.. just give it to me. :wink:

EDIT: There's also a FF game coming out for the Wii from what I've heard... I'll research that and post any info I find for you.

GigaOni said:
EDIT: There's also a FF game coming out for the Wii from what I've heard... I'll research that and post any info I find for you.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

If by any chance you do decide to get an Xbox 360, and since you're a Final Fantasy fan. Then I would strongly recommend getting Lost Odyssey, which comes out in February (around the same time as SSB. Brawl). It's from the original creator of Final Fantasy 1 through 9, Hironobu Sakaguchi. The game is basically a true Final Fantasy alternative for the Xbox 360.

Well, id reccomend keeping the wii for sure, so many AAA titles comming in the next 6 months it would be silly to miss them just to buy a PS3 with its medeocre first gen games :lol:

As for SSBB, then yes it is most worth your while as it looks totaly amazing, nintendo seems to be adding more and more content to it every day, its going to be HUGE.

Metroid Prime not your thing? If you dont like FPS games then I can understand this but if you do then please do yourself a favour and get it. Up until not I have hated FPS games on consoles and have stuck to playing them on my PC as I hate Pads for such things.

I bought MP3 or release day even though I hadent tested it, thats how confident I was that the controles would work, this is afterall a nintendo game and they usualy set the standard that all other games will be judged by and beleive me MP3 does not fail, the controles are PERFECT, going from a mouse and keyboard to these controles couldent be more natural.

Please, if theres £30 you going to spend this year then make it MP3.

Other games you should try are:

Super Monkeyball Banana Blitz. Again the controles are spot on and with 50 mini games it will be a huge hit over xmas.

Zelda, forget FF :lol:

Mario Strikers Charged Football. with over 400,000 matches played in its first weekend of realease online gaming has already come to the wii.

And before you think im a nintendo fanboy think again, I spend 90% of my gaming time on my PC playing World of Warcraft and at the moment im currently beta testing a game called 'Savage 2, A tortured soul'.

Reaper25 said:
I won a Wii last month and decided to keep it and not sell it. I have a PS2, but no next-gen consoles. I thought the Wii was cool when it first came out, particularly Wii sports, but the majority of the games don't interest me.

The only reason I kept the Wii is because of its popularity, and I figured I would give Nintendo a try. The only good games for the Wii that I can see myself getting into are SSBB (even though I never played a Smash Bros. before) and Mario Kart. The fact that I could play these two titles online is what sold me. I definitely prefer online multiplayer games.

I've been lusting for a PS3 and I strongly considered selling the Wii to purchase one. I'm still going to get the PS3 when FF XIII comes out, but I just don't know if I made a good decision keeping the Wii.

My only game is Resident Evil 4 (I hadn't played this before on any other system). This game has been amazing. I thought about Zelda and Metroid, but decided not to get either of those two. I have never played a game from either of those two series but can't see myself really getting into them.

Super Mario Galaxy is coming out in a couple of weeks and I'm strongly considering buying it. But other than this game, I don't know if I'll get any other Wii game other than SSBB and Mario Kart. I am sort of a graphics whore so MOHH2 would have to get some pretty amazing reviews for me to jump on that.

Did I make the right decision in keeping the Wii? Was anyone else skeptical about the system even after they purchased it? Should I sell it at this point? Any "hardcore" gamers out there really enjoying their Wii? What games are you playing?
Theres a couple of things that strike me on this:
1. You're not really giving any Wii games a fair chance. Zelda and Metroid are both excellent games.
2. I consider myself a "hardcore gamer" (despite what some idiots think, hardcore doesn't mean xbox or PS3 only games). I consider myself that because of my dedication to computer games, since before the NES. I also have a wide range of genres that I like. And I can say, with hand on my heart, that the Wii was one of the best purchases I've ever had. I play it daily if possible (not always possible, as usually have uni work to do, and such).
3. The PS3 is widely considered outside PSfanboys lairs, to be a waste of money (sorry to all you PSWii fans, but on the whole, it's true).
4. I think you should put in more investment (both time, energy and money) into the Wii. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, you just need to find more games and give it a chance.
I don't see why your complaining if you won it and did not buy it.
Then I would understand more.

But you didn't.
What you need to do is look at Super Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars 2, Guitar Hero 3, Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Fit etc. and see if those interest you.
Look at other games, you may be surprised.

Take some risks :thumbsup:

Totally a good choice.

When the Original Smash Bros. came out it looked cool but i never jumped at the chance to go get it, and i happened to trade in some of my old games and decided to give it a try. I've been hooked ever since. I played the Smash on 64 so much that the label on the game faded to nothing. It's amazing.

I've been playing Zelda and Metroid since even before i could read and write. Naturally i had difficulty figuring out what to do but that didn't discourage me. Zelda and Metroid on the Wii are indeed excellent, but if that doesn't intrest you, then i suggest you atleast rent them and give them a go.

I do consider myself a hardcore gamer.The fact that i can play all the games from when i was little by downloading them from VC really excites me. Gives me a second chance to beat what i started.My friends all have 360's, so every once in a while we'll have a LAN party and just play games all night and talk about new stuff being developed. I don't own a 360 myself (But i think that'll change soon), but the Wii is just as addicting.

You wont be sorry when Brawl comes out.

Despite what other fanboys often say about the Big N being too kiddy, etc, the fact is that Nintendo has always made the most polished, fun-to-play, top-quality games to ever grace Planet Earth.

Anyone whose first system was the Atari 2600 will know what I mean.

The Wii is worth it, not just for SSBB, but the many great games available now and in the future.

Support Nintendo.

Back