Important: Can wii handle live video streams.

MiiWantWii

WiiChat Member
Mar 27, 2007
My college alma mater has a game this weekend that won't be televised nationally nor locally, but the official athletics website is offering a pay-per-view online live stream of the game. I have some stuff I could use to hook my laptop up to my LCD tv in the den but it would be much easier and nicer if I could just use my wii.

Does anyone know if the can handle a live video stream lasting a few hours? If so is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks in advance guys.

Here are the sytem requirements from the site that is providing the pay-per-view. It seems to me that the wii should work. It makes no mention of a need for a mediaplayer, just flash. Another concern is whether a 3-4 hr broadcast will be to much for the wii to handle memory wise maybe. Take a look and tell me what you think.

System
Pentium class system running at 600 Mhz or better.

Internet Browser
You must have Internet Explorer Version 5.5 or higher to access the content in Maroon to the Max.

Screen resolution
To effectively use the pages on the Maroon to the Max, your screen resolution should be set at 800 x 600 pixels or higher. If you can see the entire width of the site without scrolling horizontally, your resolution is set appropriately. If not, please adjust the resolution setting on your computer.

Macromedia Flash
Some important elements of the site utilize Macromedia's Flash software, version 6.0 or higher. If you do not have at least Flash 6 you will be unable to effectively navigate the site. (Fortunately, it comes pre-installed in nearly all late-model browsers.)

Audio Capability
In order to hear the audio components of our films and animations, your computer must be equipped with a 16-bit or better sound card and speakers

Modem
For live events you must have a Docsis compliant modem to receive the Multicast from Maroon to the Max. NOTE: The MOTOROLA :CYBERSURFER is not a Docsis compliant modem, and at this time will not receive the multicast.

Routers
At this time you may have difficulties accessing all of Maroon to the Max's content. Specifically "Live Multicasts", You may have to consult your router manufacturer for support receiving multicasting. Or as an alternitive you can connect the Cable modem to a single PC. Cox will not be responsible for any networking related issues resulting from such attempts.

You won't be able to, sorry. It requires IE, Wii uses Opera.

D S said:
You won't be able to, sorry. It requires IE, Wii uses Opera.

Yeah I saw that but almost everything as far as streaming on the internet says it requires IE. It's almost like Microsoft pays people to say that. Yet, I've used various other browser apps and never had a problem when something said "be sure you're running the latest version of IE" or "requires IE v 4.390842048502 or higher?

I guess usually when something says that it means something compatible with the specs of IE, which opera is. So, I don't think that will be a problem. How bout yall?

I watched Epi 1 of Alf on my Wii yesterday i used one of my websites to stream the data from the web server and it was played back using flash, my wife was watching sailor moon on youtube via the wii with no issues

The best thing he can do, is try it out :)

Back