In need of help with HDTV cables

FRuMMaGe

Waluigi's #1 Fan!
Dec 18, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
2482-6460-3144-9934
I bought a new HDTV, and I would like to have my Xbox and my Wii plugged into the component port.

I bought a component cable that has connectors on the end for Wii, 360 and PS3. It also says on the packaging in small writing (only plug in 1 console at a time) but it does not give an explanation why.

It would be far more convenient for me to have them both plugged in, but why does it say I shouldn't?

Please don't speculate, as I don't want to break my consoles or TV

If it doesn't have [good] switching (that completely isolates the various input/ouput) then you could wind up sending multiple video signals in to the set and/or send video out of one console and *in* to the other!

This could be as mild as anomalous video output to a smoked console.

It's designed for a single source out, to a single source in.

[DT] said:
If it doesn't have [good] switching (that completely isolates the various input/ouput) then you could wind up sending multiple video signals in to the set and/or send video out of one console and *in* to the other!

This could be as mild as anomalous video output to a smoked console.

It's designed for a single source out, to a single source in.
So what is the worst case scenario (realistically) of having my Wii and 360 plugged in simultaneously (only 1 turned on at a time).

Worst case scenario is that you could damage the TV's component port rendering them unusable and would have to use the scart socket or other only. It should not fry the TV just the the component port.

worst case is you end up frying your tv, your wii and your 360. It is unlikely but is theoretically possible. especially as mistakes happen!

I've looked at other versions of these cables all over the internet and non of the others specify to not put them in multiple consoles at once.

What should I do?

not plug them in at once, i honestly wouldN'Ttrust something like that unless it was costing me £40/50 just for the switching! I have worked in the trade and seen these kind of things go wrong too many times before!

I think I might have the same cables... Madcatz? But yea, it wouldn't let me plug the 360 and Wii one in at the same time, only let my 360 go up to 480p, so I can only have it plugged into the 360 so it can go up to 1080p.

Celestial said:
I think I might have the same cables... Madcatz? But yea, it wouldn't let me plug the 360 and Wii one in at the same time, only let my 360 go up to 480p, so I can only have it plugged into the 360 so it can go up to 1080p.
Thanks for this. Repped :yesnod:

Back