DrYou

Im Bringin Sexy Back
Nov 20, 2006
Reno, NV
Wii Online Code
5552-5279-6247-6288
Found this at:
http://www.destructoid.com/wii-does-hard-drives-right-and-cheap-28377.phtml

While Nintendo may catch much grief for making their backwards Friend Code system completely manual and laborious, we have to hand it to them -- they nailed pc-class hard drive support. While performance over USB may not be killer, you can get the job done without breaking the bank, raising much tech fuss, or even using a screwdriver. It's easy as 1-2-3:

1- Download the latest firmware on your Wii

2- Format the USB hard Drive to FAT32, maximum 120GB
(Though some website claims that a 300GB hard drive works too)

3- Remove Any SD card form the SD slot

The Wii should detect your USB hard drive as an SD card. Beautiful!

So how does it stack up on value? Nicely. You can either pay Microsoft $100 for a 20GB (this will reportedly go down soon ... but judging by the 20GB ripoff we doubt it will be that much better) or you can add a hard drive five times bigger on to your Wii for half the price.

Granted, the point may be moot as you really can't do much on your Wii with a hard drive yet other than certain piraty things, but it's nice to know. The PS3 gets second place for the belly rip out and replace hack. Until then, here's a naughty tutorial on emu gaming on the Wii. Tisk tisk!

Ya I found this out last weekend when my roomie hooked his ext hdd up to it and it recognized it, and I realized the only different between my external and his was that he accidentally had his formated in fat32.

But like the comments say, there isn't much you can do with this.

Well just as much as you can do with an SD, and why buy a $100 4g SD card when you can get something better.

DrYou said:
Well just as much as you can do with an SD, and why buy a $100 4g SD card when you can get something better.

The same reason why people buy $100 pendrives. Size is convenience.

hmmmmmmmm.....I saw this on the nintendo power forums, and apparantly it doesn't work...moreover the link <b>they</b> had linked to a page with a guy apologising for hoaxing everyone :S
Can anyone confirm this?

TheOnlyOneHeFears said:
hmmmmmmmm.....I saw this on the nintendo power forums, and apparantly it doesn't work...moreover the link <b>they</b> had linked to a page with a guy apologising for hoaxing everyone :S
Can anyone confirm this?

I belive Vagrant Said it was working for his friend in the above post

When I said It would recognize it, I didn't mean it would recognize it as an SD card.

So as far as saving stuff on a drive, that would require a firmware update.

Last edited:
Is that REALLY true?[MEDIA]:shocked: [/MEDIA] It sounds like steps are missing. How does the system mix up memory in the USB and SD card slot?

vagrant said:
Ya I found this out last weekend when my roomie hooked his ext hdd up to it and it recognized it

Exactly what does that mean? How do you know the Wii recognized it rather than just providing power?

Back