Infrared Thingy

Jenbrookie08

WiiChat Member
May 29, 2007
What is the difference between the regular sensor that the wii comes with,, versus the one they sell in the stores???
Does it have more range? :scared:

I would appreciate any help.

The ones in stores are sometimes wireless, or then no different. Just if you break it, you can get a new one. And I'm assuming you mean sensor bar.

Edit: I'm guessing Shiftfallout has a good explanation.

Last edited:
Jenbrookie08 said:
What is the difference between the regular sensor that the wii comes with,, versus the one they sell in the stores???
Does it have more range? :scared:

I would appreciate any help.

the camera in the wiimote picks up infared lights that are shot out of the sensor. Basically all that sensor does is send out light only the camera in the wiimote can see, the wiimote then uses that to judge where it is in proportion to the tv screen. Very simple really.

The one they sell in stores might have a stronger infared light, thus allowing the camera to pick up the motion from farther, but the stock sensor should be fine as well.

i was thinking of buying that "sensor bar" (Thanks JT) from the store, thinking it might have more range. do you guys think it is worth it?

Jenbrookie08 said:
i was thinking of buying that "sensor bar" (Thanks JT) from the store, thinking it might have more range. do you guys think it is worth it?

not really. How big is your tv? cause theres no reason to be all the way accross the room if the tv isnt a projector. They also dont have to be wii specific, you can find anything that shoots out the rays. People have been known to make their own. The Sixaxis controller which the ps3 uses actually has a sensor like bar inside the controller itself. Pretty trippy stuff.

Thanks so much Shift,
i guess i really dont need it.... my TV is 42". No Need to spend an extra $30.. LOL

Thanks

Back