Intercooler...worthwile?

GypsyKid

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I was in Walmart today picking up some various stuff and decided to check out the electronics section. I noticed that the PS3 has a $30 Intercooler available for it.

Is this a wise/worthwhile purchase?

Well, anyways it also got me to thinking. I remember being shown these videos on youtube on overclocking CPU's. To some of you that may not know what this is...it's basically cooling down your computer to points where it actually surpasses or "overclocks" its intended speed. Sometimes doubling the processing power. For example you can get a 2.4 ghz computer to run at 5 ghz if you freeze it...I mean nitrogen freezing. Serious stuff...

I'm not well informed when it comes to very technical info. especially when it comes to processors etc. However, I do get the idea that processors work faster and more efficiently the cooler they are from those videos. That's what I took from that bit of info.

So this leads me to think about trying to keep the PS3 not only in a well ventilated area but also have it cooled down so that it will run optimally or even above optimum.

My question is...do intercoolers overclock PS3's or just make sure they don't overheat, or well...both.

Also, do you think you could get games to play even smoother if you can overclock the PS3? Would you try overclocking? As I understand extreme overclocking can fry your computer and void your warranty if applicable.

I have seen people overclock N64's and the games all ran faster, not smooth faster, like fast forward faster.

I wouldnt cause it doesnt really get to that extreme of heat. I've had mine on for a while, about a week, folding and its fine. If you feel you would need it, then do but I would save the cash and get one for the 360.

No, I wouldn't try to overclock a processor.

dont bother with intercoolers.

They say that there is a higher rate of system failure WITH coolers then without. The Ps3 has less then 1% failure rate.. lower then all the systems.. It wont overheat unless something goes internally wrong like if you dropped it.

Just think, come winter you will have an extra heat source for your room :p

PtonJalken said:
dont bother with intercoolers.

They say that there is a higher rate of system failure WITH coolers then without. The Ps3 has less then 1% failure rate.. lower then all the systems.. It wont overheat unless something goes internally wrong like if you dropped it.

Just think, come winter you will have an extra heat source for your room :p
If I want to heat up my room I will turn on my 360. Temperature ↑ 10° My PS3 buts out hardly any heat by comparison. The Intercooler would make your room hotter anyway since it would be pulling more heat out of the console.

GypsyKid said:
Well, anyways it also got me to thinking. I remember being shown these videos on youtube on overclocking CPU's. To some of you that may not know what this is...it's basically cooling down your computer to points where it actually surpasses or "overclocks" its intended speed. Sometimes doubling the processing power. For example you can get a 2.4 ghz computer to run at 5 ghz if you freeze it...I mean nitrogen freezing. Serious stuff...

I'm not well informed when it comes to very technical info. especially when it comes to processors etc. However, I do get the idea that processors work faster and more efficiently the cooler they are from those videos. That's what I took from that bit of info.

FYI

Overclocking a processor is done by increasing the voltage on which the chip is working. For example, a 3.0 volt processor can be overclocked by forcing it to run under 3.6 volts. They freeze the processors in order to keep them from frying (when high voltage is applied not for the example I gave, you can do that easily on your PC)

Cooling down your PS3 will not make it run faster.

paintba||er said:

If I want to heat up my room I will turn on my 360. Temperature ↑ 10° My PS3 buts out hardly any heat by comparison. The Intercooler would make your room hotter anyway since it would be pulling more heat out of the console.

i know its hotter, but i wasnt comparing. Im just saying it can make the air warm. Doesnt bother me tho.

jledesma said:
FYI

Overclocking a processor is done by increasing the voltage on which the chip is working. For example, a 3.0 volt processor can be overclocked by forcing it to run under 3.6 volts. They freeze the processors in order to keep them from frying (when high voltage is applied not for the example I gave, you can do that easily on your PC)

Cooling down your PS3 will not make it run faster.

Alright, that's good info. Thanks for the replys. I don't think I'll be getting an intercooler then.

Back