Interestomg article - 3rd party support coming soon?

K LoLo

Wii Addict
Nov 26, 2007
Huntsville/Texas City, TX
DEVELOPING

All three consoles have their fans and detractors within the industry. The platform that seems to have gathered the most opinions on both sides is Nintendo's Wii, which has been at the front of the firing line due to its runaway success. Electronic Arts was one of the first companies to come out and say that it regretted not supporting the format more heavily from the start.

John Riccitiello, EA CEO, commented, "[This transition has been] harder because of the complexity, and much harder because, unfortunately, we bet a little bit on the wrong horse in focusing so much on the PS3 and Xbox 360, and to a lesser degree on the Wii. And let me assure you that almost all of us in the industry made the same judgment. So after so many transitions of guessing exactly right, we got this one a little bit wrong, and we're dealing with that now with strong investments on the Wii."

Square Enix president and CEO Yoichi Wada has gone on the record about his own opinion of the Wii. He believes the console has changed the gaming environment completely and called consoles such as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 "overengineered" and "too complex." He said, "There are too many specs--and you also need a high-definition TV, a broadband connection, and a deep knowledge of gaming. These consoles are mismatched to today's environment. In a year or two years, they will fare better."

There was a lot more to this article, but i only posted this part because i thought it was a good sign. Here is a link to the rest of the article.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184018.html?tag=result;title;9

DISCUSS

r any of those developers that said their gunna start working with teh wii now any good i mean i heard of them but i dont kno their products

brigipson said:
good news, now do think nintendo will become pigheaded and become like sony

Nintendo won't become pig headed. They are driven off innovation and expanding the market right now. Plus too Iwata was a programmer he is better at solving problems and using logic than the last guy that was on top. So far every thing they have done has very smart.

The HD problem is correct in both views. Except MS got closer to the right answer. The Cell was suppose to be a GPU monster also but they over estimated what nvidia could do. Now you have a system that is hiding it's price mistake with the cost of a blue ray player. In truth Nvidia stuck the price to them the same way they did MS. With out the blue ray in the PS3 it would still cost more. Nvidia does this because they know they are better than ATI. Seriously all casual hardcore gamers right now believe that the PS3 is the most powerful. Which isn't really true because the xbox 360 has the specs that matter to gaming and not science experiments. You will continue to see this different thur out this gen.

Back to the Wii... the wake up call is really going to be 20 million. I played soul calibar and it was just ok. Yet could have been really fun. If any thing we are getting rushed games. The one thing you do know about nintendo is that they rush nothing when it comes to games. The problem with third parties is the simple fact that they have always used the hardcore gamers as a crutch. I mean really when I first saw normal mapping and actually did it I was like WOW this is the future right now!. Yet once I saw it just being used for wrinkles and extra crap piled on top of crap for the sake of being detailed I realized that this would not be the one thing that gets the respect of the public.

Hardcore gamers are easy to please that is if they are willing to pay the price. The problem is they are willing yet not able a lot of times. The fan boy problem rises from the fact that we all don't have enough money to buy all systems.

The whole hardcore vs casual thing is a smoke screen on top of the real problem... which is being able to afford what you want. At the rate we are going 700 dollar for the next gen will be ok right?

Oh yeah another point is there is simply not enough marketing dollars being pushed behind these games.

No more heros may have been a victim of this. Yet I think many people over here are waiting for this game. Simply put I don't think japan likes the characters as much and in away it sort of makes fun of some hardcore gamers in japan.

More Third Party Support was expected, and we should start to see those games near the end of 2008. What we had early on were rushed projects, but now developers are starting to realize the potential that the Wii has and have taken their time making their games.

Back