Interference from fireplace?

Elektrobot

WiiChat Member
Dec 9, 2007
Hello,

I don't have a Wii yet, but saw a few videos on youtube where people have used candles at the edges of their tv in place of the sensor bar- and it made me wonder if I should expect a problem when I finally do get a Wii.

Our TV is mounted on the wall over the fireplace- and its really more than just a fireplace, its more of a built in wood burning stove, and we use it to heat most of our house. You can see what I'm talking about here: http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Webshare/wood/wood inserts/1402.html

There is constantly a fire burning in it during the winter- and the flames are very high and bright. Will this cause interference with pointing the Wii remote?

Thanks for any info

The fire will probably mess up your wii remote while pointing, yes.

... You can do 3 things.

1. Move the TV.
2. Move the fireplace. <<< (Wtf?)
3. Put out the fire while you're playing.

Last edited:
a30993 said:
The fire will probably mess up your wii remote while pointing, yes.

... You can do 3 things.

1. Move the TV.
2. Move the fireplace. <<< (Wtf?)
3. Put out the fire while you're playing.

Wow, that really sucks! Thanks for your reply though-

Maybe I won't end up getting a Wii, if it's not going to work.

Can't move the TV- had the furniture for the room custom made, and the TV is mounted on the wall above the fireplace- and there is simply no place else for the tv to go- and there is not a chance that my wife would even let me try, she spent almost a year designing the furniture and bookshelfs and stuff to fit where they are.

Ya, can't move the fireplace-

Can't really put out the fire. Once its burning, its burning- it would make a mess of the inside of the wood burner if you tried to extinguish it. It's also what we rely on to heat most of this part of the house instead of wasting natural gas, so I like to keep the fire burning as long as possible.

Go figure- we think we have the perfect room setup- .....but not

We do have a media room in the basement- but I'd really rather not play it down there. It's very secluded, and I thought the Wii is fun because it can be a group activity, but not everybody wants to go downstairs at the same time. Usually people are up here hanging around the main living area. Also, to hook it up downstairs, I'd have to get some mega long cables, because the Wii would have to be up front so you can switch out disks and be in range with the controllers and stuff- but the AV rack is way in the back of the room, and everything gets fed through a video processor before going to the projector- I can't just hook right into the projector. Plus there isn't a lot of open area in front of the screen to move around to play.

sucks

I might have to see if one of my friends has a Wii to bring over and try with the fire going, to see how much it messes it up.

You could also turn down the sensitivity of the wii remotes in the settings menu...

a30993 said:
You could also turn down the sensitivity of the wii remotes in the settings menu...

Now that sounds like a more feasible solution! Thanks for the good advice. I didn't realize there was an adjustment, hopefully that will work. Thanks!

Turning down the sensitivity may not be enough. The fire would almost certainly be putting out stronger infrared points than the sensor bar would.
I've tried pointing the wii remote at my fireplace while a fire is going, and the on-screen pointer goes crazy, jumping all over the place. If I do that while on the sensitivity adjustment screen, it shows all kinds of circles, large and small, dancing around. It would be hard for the sensor bar to compete with that.

You might be able to get away with putting the sensor bar above the TV and then you'll be pointing higher above the fireplace and may be able to avoid interference, but it's hard to say for sure.

Do you know anyone nearby with a Wii that you could use for testing?

So far, none of my friends have a Wii to bring over and test- except for my brother-in-law who lives 4 hrs away. (Thats how I first got to play a Wii, was when he brought it to his parents house on Thanksgiving)

I guess I'm just gonna have to give it a try.

I also just realized that I'm going to have to use a wireless sensor bar, because the A/V hookups are in a wall plate close to the floor and the wires are ran inside the wall to the tv. The sensor bar would have to have about a 12 foot cord to reach the Wii on a shelf close to this wall plate.

Should have waited to setup the room until after I had a Wii!!!

Oh well, live and learn

Thanks for the input guys

Maybe a stupid idea, but Couldn't you just set up cardboard or a blanket infront of the fireplace, far enough so it wouldn't burn, but still covering the light of the fire?

lol - seems so simple, yes, until the cardboard or blanket catches fire, then you have bigger problems! :D

rxmxsh said:
lol - seems so simple, yes, until the cardboard or blanket catches fire, then you have bigger problems! :D

Get a flame retardent blanket ;)

Back