Interlink Files Patent Infringement Case Over Wii Remote

Jayman

hagakure
Nov 22, 2006
Wii Online Code
8917-6501-7332-1191
Camarillo, California headquartered Interlink Electronics has filed a complaint against Nintendo for what it believes to be a case of copyright infringement over the controller utilized by Nintendo's recently released Wii console.

The court filing, obtained by gaming blog Kotaku, was issued with the US District Court of the District of Delaware, and accuses Nintendo of infringing upon a previously filed patent Interlink Electronics, as well as costing the company “reasonable royalties, reduced sales, and/or lost profits.”

Specifically, patent 6,850,221 was filed on February 1, 2005, and refers to a device titled simply “Trigger Operated electronic Device”, which according to the documented description is “a trigger operated device in the nature of a pointing device for use with an electronic system such as a computer.”

The description continues, noting that “the pointing device is one which performs the function of a mouse,” adding that the device “is portable or self-contained in that it does not operate on a base.” Interestingly, the diagrams proved as part of the patent documentation do bear some resemblance to that of the Wii remote.

Interlink's complaint demands that the court order Nintendo pay three times the assessed damages, prejudgment interest, and other costs. In addition to the monetary compensation demanded by Interlink, the company is also demanding a a jury trial, as well as a reimbursement of attorney's fees.

Nintendo has responded to inquiries into the matter, telling Gamasutra simply that "Nintendo does not comment on pending litigation." Similarly, Gamasutra also spoke with Kieth Roberts, Interlink's director of corporate communications, who noted that the company likewise "cannot comment on this at this time."

- Gamasutra

Not cool... :mad:

Shouldn't the wiimote have been patented at least before February 1 2005? Games were already in development then. Not cool indeed :frown2:

Looks like everyone wants to get a piece of Nintendo, first Sony then Interlink.... *sigh*

I find this stupid. The company just wants money. I mean nintendo did not sue any company when they got copied for their ideas. Sony copied SOOO MANY
and yet nintendo lets them so did microsoft. I don't see why they sued (For money and try to get nintendo outta business) I can't wait for the company that sued nintendo to lose that

its prob. someone looking to make some £££ fast. often they wait not when they hear about it in its testing stage but 3-4 weeks after launch, when they can really rake it in rather then Nintendo changing things (not that they would on something like this)

Back