Internet Channel: Full version update

Rolex

Moody Loner
Dec 26, 2006
Norway
Wii Online Code
6825-6610-9310-1313
An update on the functionality and why the full version has been delayed...

http://us.wii.com/story_internet.jsp

To be fair reading thru it, it doesn't tell you anything you couldn't have guessed at..i.e: made some changes due to feedback, added extra controls, made searching less of a pain etc etc...

MINI RANT:
But to be fair - why should the full version be charged for at all?!? When you think about it, the browser is sort of standard for any converged gadget - they want you to surf the net to look at all the products they are trying to get you excited about and promotional material anyway, WTF should you have to pay for the privilege when nobody else charges for something so basic on a system.

I just can't understand the philosophy on this issue, what's a bigger insult is to offer it for FREE and then start charging for it after a certain period...can anyone answer this one cause I am stumped. :eek:ut:

Sure there has been a lot of dev gone into this feature but they want you to purchase: hardware, games, VC games and NOW buy a bog standard browser....I am at a loss :prrr:

Damn I saw the thread title and thought it was available.

And it does seem..odd, to charge us for it. But isn't it free if we download it before a certain time, if so then I'm not bothered.

Edit: Maybe the free bits a gift for the true Nintendo fans who's already got a wii?

surfinrach90 said:
Damn I saw the thread title and thought it was available.

And it does seem..odd, to charge us for it. But isn't it free if we download it before a certain time, if so then I'm not bothered.

Edit: Maybe the free bits a gift for the true Nintendo fans who's already got a wii?

Sorry to disappoint ;) but what about the 'true' fans who can't get hold of a Wii before that date (and god knows let's hope they can) - why penalise them because of supply issues beyond their control!

true fans allready got it :p
You can get a hold of it in Norway now anyway, or you can buy mine.
Allso they can give it free for a period of time. They can say becuase the delay it will be free for eks one month. If you dont got a wii the delay would not effected you, and if you dont hear about it before its over the delay didnt effect you either. So that way they wannt be unfair against anyone.

Last edited:
I agree that it's stupid to be charging for such a common and simple program after a certain period of time.

I have a launch Wii, and it ROCKS to know it! I still even have the original WiiStrap and damn proud of it. Its a wierd feeling to have a launch system, but a good one. You know you have something that someone alse can never have!

I preordered mine (online) in August. You aren't a true fan unless you either preorder early (online) or queue up over a long cold night.
I will be going to oxford street bright and early for the next gen console though :D

I got mine on christmas I wouldn't pay for it unless they got a keyboard that's what I have a computer for

Oas said:
true fans allready got it :p
You can get a hold of it in Norway now anyway, or you can buy mine.
Allso they can give it free for a period of time. They can say becuase the delay it will be free for eks one month. If you dont got a wii the delay would not effected you, and if you dont hear about it before its over the delay didnt effect you either. So that way they wannt be unfair against anyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had one since launch day and paid over the odds for the pleasure which I was prepared for (a UK unit, I am only recently working in Norway)- this isn't what I am on about really - this 'truefan' crap doesn't excuse the fact that they want to charge you for a [to all intents and purposes] FREE piece of software for functionality which comes as standard on millions of gadgets now anyway.

The gist of this seems to be going the way of - "..screw you, you can't be a truefan unless you have a Wii by now.." A little unfair don't you think :ihih:

Last edited:
Free....FREE....OMG opera is not free for "gadgets". Goto their website and you will see that they charge around $24 for most phones.

Their only going to charge $5 for the wii(500 points). $5....THATS IT.

Stop bitching, and pay the money if you want it. Otherwise, deal with the free trial version.

Also, browser software is not in any way trivial or simple. Its fairly complex and must be respected as such.

The pleasure of having a launch Wii is...astounding
I camped out for mine, (it was cold, so very cold, untill I got it, then I felt warm.) You should have seen us run, I have never ran so much...=] :D

viperjason said:
Free....FREE....OMG opera is not free for "gadgets". Goto their website and you will see that they charge around $24 for most phones.

Their only going to charge $5 for the wii(500 points). $5....THATS IT.

Stop bitching, and pay the money if you want it. Otherwise, deal with the free trial version.

Also, browser software is not in any way trivial or simple. Its fairly complex and must be respected as such.

I'll just clear something up here:
1) OK so you took my generalisation literally - my bad - fair enough. Most browsers are free, can we agree on that!?

2) Think about the cost for a minute - if they can do it for this then what's stopping them doing it for ALL integrated apps? Do you really believe that Nintendo didn't factor this costing into the Wii launch price!!
You say that I can stop bitching and pay the money - which I can do all day long but why should someone when the app has been offered free and then NOT? I am not bitching about paying for anything but what I am saying is why offer it free and then charge...for god's sake it's not about me per se but what about people who come later to the party..why should they pay??

2) I am a former Windows software developer and do have a fairly good idea in what's involved with browser functionality, but thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Back